Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HRA National Conference

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

HRA National Conference

The inaugural HRA National Conference will be held from 10.00am to 6.00pm on Inter Dominion Championships Grand Final Eve in the Hill Stand at Flemington Racecourse.
    Topics that will be covered include Marketing & Promotion, Breeding, Industry Funding and a Youth Forum where emerging talent and future leaders will share their thoughts and paint their vision for the future success of the industry.

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia...e-Announcement
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have moved this thread from the Positives Only thread as I am being sent feedback that people obviously feel cannot fall under the 'no ifs or buts'
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    One very interesting take:

Perhaps those who are doing their level best to suggest ideas to overcome the threat of the sports extinction might find it of value
    to initially concentrate on the core reason all the good suggestions of the past have come to very little
    Once the reason for this is agreed and addressed maybe something positive could result from all of their much appreciated and valued recent efforts

This was proceeded by a reminder that no product = no business, in regards to the continued decline in foal numbers
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    To another I had said that I thought the topics suggested in the quote need a ton of work
    And that I hope the conference gives the opportunity for attendees to talk - not just listen (brainstorm sessions) as we need solutions and I would hope to see an action plan at its conclusion (not solutions as such but steps towards solutions)

Their response was that what with state forums, roadshows, meetings and representatives attending HRA conferences:
    HRA should have the picture well and truly already

(embarassed)

Let's hope the conference is not just a slick talk fest
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    This link has a here which provides the program

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=38792

Inter eve Frid 14th 10am at Flemington

HRA's AGM is before it - I hope that doesn't mean the conference will have limited relevance to them

I hope we get a poster or two along and a full conference report to follow

I would be tempted but even when these events cater for someone with a hearing impairment, I still often struggle
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The following link is to a long podcast interview with champion reinsman Jody Jamieson who is the key note speaker at the conference

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...tooth-be-told/

KEYNOTE ADDRESS - “Reinventing the Harness Racing Industry”, the combined
    Track and Boardroom perspective

I have poor hearing but from that interview I have serious doubts that he will be the right person for that topic in Australia - I hope I am wrong

JJ rightfully thinks that it is scary relying on punting for our funding
    But he comes from Ontario where they rely on the slots which is not going to happen here as even AFL clubs are copping criticism for relying on the pokies

I am pretty sure I heard him say that he was not an Ideas man

He seems to be saying that we have to trust our administrators and release their good ideas

He seems to think we have good administrators/people here

I am worried that some of these people have overseen enough decline and we have not got time for anymore mistakes so lets hope we also have leaders to turn things around
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Foal paul rowse will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Paul Rowse

Number one requirement is passion

Hi Kev,

Lucky enough to have spent some days with Jody in the last week. The guy does nothing but pump up the sport in every conversation he is involved in. He lives and breathes it 24/7. He is a firm believer that people must talk up the sport whenever an opportunity presents itself.
    He is an incredible promoter and is able to talk to all walks of life from stable hands to Board members on a wide range of topics and most importantly he has empathy and understands each persons perspective. He knows we need everyone to buy in and have part to play if we are going to turn it around.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Hi Paul, I don't doubt JJ's enthusiasm and cheerleaders are important but for the topic of Reinventing the Harness Racing Industry we need leaders - ideas men.

I am not on twitter or Facebook but I was told that one of the Youth forum leaders for the conference asked what she should raise and she received the following suggestion:

The culture of indifference to and tolerance towards race fixers and drug cheats by those inside the industry. The sport has no chance of being accepted and embraced by mainstream society unless these criminals are called out and ostracised by honest participants.”

That would be a worthwhile but big task for a keynote speaker even

I have no problem with JJ and think he could/will be a valuable part of the conference but going on the podcast that keynote topic would not appear to be his thing
    Last edited by Messenger; 12-10-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Any attendees? Any Reports? You would hope that it has all been videoed for general release

I have heard 3rd hand that
    JJ’s presentation focused on the need for everyone in the industry to pull together
    and to put the future of the sport ahead of self interest if it was to succeed

Can we see this happening? You think it would take a generational change
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thank you to Paul for sharing his notes.

A few of his points (sometimes summarized by me):

Keynote speaker Jodie Jamieson made it clear that Ontario Racing is in a bad way (gaming was a boon but then crashed)
    In relation to his topic 'Reinventing Harness Racing' the following:
    Horse people need to understand where revenue comes from
    To embrace positive change sometimes there has to be pain
    Sires Stakes racing is great for horse racing but terrible for punters

Industry Development
    How do we empower and keep young people engaged?
    Looking for where young eyeballs are
    Twitter - talking to the converted?
    Facebook lets you create a group and to market but Instagram fastest growing
    We must be everywhere as competitors are
    Need to provide personalized experiences with actionable (positive? expected? ) outcomes

Industry Funding
    Australian harness racing was launched into US market in November
    Online gambling is 40% of US and Aus markets
    Some ideas for trying to get people to stay until the last
    Offer unique experiences like meet the drivers

Youth Forum
    Teach how to run a business and media
    Apprenticeship / Mentor system
    Last edited by Messenger; 01-09-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread