Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where could we have a 2nd Melbourne metro track?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Where could we have a 2nd Melbourne metro track?

According to The Age today, the state government is contributing $17.5m of the $40m upgrades to Cranbourne and Pakenham's training facilities (with Caulfield to cease training within 5yrs)

Maybe we should be seeking more than the additional $6m promised to us - maybe we could get them involved in the Melton land development

THE FIRST 13 POSTS IN THIS THREAD WERE MOVED FROM THE ODDS AND ENDS THREAD
    Last edited by Messenger; 11-02-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Was thinking similar Kev, but you know how I like BIG ideas and you believe we need a continued strong presence in the South East how about this- Caulfield is also getting another track and lights for night racing when the trainers depart for Cranbourne and Packenham. How about we let the gallops remove the trot track from Cranbourne and put in an another racetrack inside the existing track so they have two new racetracks and give them our training centre as well at Cranbourne which could easily be renovated to accomodate twice the horses or more then it does now and harness moves to and redevelops Sandown as a standalone harness racing and training facility,( hopefully that's easier to get to and more popular!) with a bit left over for development which is what the MRC wants to do with Sandown anyway. Motor racing is restricted to 5 weekends there now because of residents and expecting to be evicted in time by the MRC.

Of course I'm probably dreaming but Sandown Park became Sandown Park when it was operated by the Victoria TROTTING Club in the 1890s well before it morphed into the MRC, and well with a former MRC CEO as HRV chairman and the HRA chairman on the board at Cranboune can't be a better time to try........

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    How we would love a metro track
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes

7 day to go, EOI closes 31 October

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Campbellfield a lot more central than Melton

Thinking of the East, I just did a search for Ringwood to Campbellfield = 37min while Ringwood to Melton = 68min
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Campbellfield a lot more central than Melton

Thinking of the East, I just did a search for Ringwood to Campbellfield = 37min while Ringwood to Melton = 68min
    Would be great, close to the ring road, large population close by. Never going to happen, more chance of me winning the lotto two weeks in a row !
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Would be great, close to the ring road, large population close by. Never going to happen, more chance of me winning the lotto two weeks in a row !
    Has anyone got the US billion dollar lottery winner's email address?

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Now if they’d come on board we should be able to buy back in at Moonee Valley!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    At least Sandown has rail to the door, loads of spare land that could be developed with a Mirvac style company, decent water supply and huge car parks which could be leased to the relevant body for train commuters.

And surplus grandstand buildings which could be converted into government offices, conference facilities etc

Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    Was thinking similar Kev, but you know how I like BIG ideas and you believe we need a continued strong presence in the South East how about this- Caulfield is also getting another track and lights for night racing when the trainers depart for Cranbourne and Packenham. How about we let the gallops remove the trot track from Cranbourne and put in an another racetrack inside the existing track so they have two new racetracks and give them our training centre as well at Cranbourne which could easily be renovated to accomodate twice the horses or more then it does now and harness moves to and redevelops Sandown as a standalone harness racing and training facility,( hopefully that's easier to get to and more popular!) with a bit left over for development which is what the MRC wants to do with Sandown anyway. Motor racing is restricted to 5 weekends there now because of residents and expecting to be evicted in time by the MRC.

Of course I'm probably dreaming but Sandown Park became Sandown Park when it was operated by the Victoria TROTTING Club in the 1890s well before it morphed into the MRC, and well with a former MRC CEO as HRV chairman and the HRA chairman on the board at Cranboune can't be a better time to try........

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Yeah Kyle those were the sort of things I was thinking of when I wrote that post, plus room for some open space for the public. The difficulty of course will be how to secure the site for trotting......

Currently the trainers that are to be evicted from Caulfield are questioning why Sandown can’t be retained as a training centre for them, but it seems the Melbourne Racing Club are pretty determined to sell it.

+ Reply to Thread