Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Foals 2011

triplev123
    For sure, always...but I'm one of those paranoid foal watch people with a significant distrust of technology who doze off for a half hour or an hour, wake up with a start & get up & go out with my trust torch to have a look anyway. Ours is a Magic Breed Alarm. It works of course. Never given me any reason to think otherwise. I just can't help myself, mostly because if something happened and I could have fixed it but wasn't there I would never forgive myself. Hopeless, I know.

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    We have the same foaling alarm and its by far the best on the market. IMO
    Though you can't go past a good set of eyes.

triplev123
    My brother did foal watch last night...I finished work about 3:30 am and drove out there, woke the poor bastard up to ask where the torch was and went for an exploratory wander. You know what's going to happen? Despite all this attention...I reckon she'll wait until I go in and make a cup of coffee and grab a biscuit or two and while I'm away she'll foal standing up so the alarm doesn't go off. That's the sort of pain in the arse she is.

Flashing Red
    How do those broodmare alarms work? How much do they cost?

I have heard of maiden mares foaling while standing up, but never had/seen one do it myself...

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    I have never seen a mare foal standing up and i've never heard of it and i've seen hundred's you learn something new everyday
    A friend had a foal alarm and every time the mare lay down it went off so he threw it in the dam.
    I have never had the need to use an alarm myself as i know 9 times out of 10 when they'll foal as we lock the mares in a little paddock next to the house
    and when anybody get's up during the night just flick on the light's and have a look
    A good tip is when they start to foal if nothing has happened in 1/2 hour their is something wrong
    so best of luck to everyone with foal's coming this year i hope no-one has any real problem's.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    I've seen a mare foal whilst standing up and the previous owner did tell my mate when he borrowed her that she did and we laughed but true to his word she did.

Flashing Red
    Does the foal thud to the ground like a giraffe - I've seen those things "foal" or whatever the term is. Poor thing hit the ground (mum is a LONG way up!) with a terrible sounding thud!!

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Flashing

Yes it did thud to the ground but thankfully it didn't have the big drop like a giraffe does and from there on thing's were normal.

triplev123
    Irish Town foaled Gracie Wilkes whilst she was standing up. John Gibson wrapped her up in his arms as she made her debut & last season my brother caught a Four Starzzz Shark filly who's dam decided to the business whilst upright. You must have all the well mannered mares out there Greg.

triplev123
    Here's a bit of trivia. A Vet mate of mine told me this. The long drop to the deck that Giraffes have actually serves to wake the baby up/clear its lungs and get its heart beating properly. How about them apples eh?

+ Reply to Thread