Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Foals 2011

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    My mare now 9 days overdue. Nuffin to worry about I know but today noticed she scratching at base of trees in her paddock and appears to be chewing on the tree roots she scratching up. What's she looking for? She been on pretty good diet (Hygain Grotorque) for a while but appears something lacking? Or she just bored? Paddock resown last year. Not heaps of grass but enough. Mobile reception in our area is crap. Rang local feed store and told them what happening and just before phone cut out they said "Give her a lick". Tried that but no good. Although she did follow me around with a big smile on her face afterwards!! (Yeh, yeh I know... leave the comedy to Triple). She seems 100% fine, eating up, etc but she looking for something?

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    My mare now 9 days overdue. Nuffin to worry about I know but today noticed she scratching at base of trees in her paddock and appears to be chewing on the tree roots she scratching up. What's she looking for?
    If she wasn't 11 months pregnant I would have said that she is looking for a root

triplev123
    Looking for a root? In that case, better give her BPH's phone number.

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    My mare now 9 days overdue. Nuffin to worry about I know but today noticed she scratching at base of trees in her paddock and appears to be chewing on the tree roots she scratching up. What's she looking for? She been on pretty good diet (Hygain Grotorque) for a while but appears something lacking? Or she just bored? Paddock resown last year. Not heaps of grass but enough. Mobile reception in our area is crap. Rang local feed store and told them what happening and just before phone cut out they said "Give her a lick". Tried that but no good. Although she did follow me around with a big smile on her face afterwards!! (Yeh, yeh I know... leave the comedy to Triple). She seems 100% fine, eating up, etc but she looking for something?
    [VVV] G'day Paul. I think she's just bored. Late in their pregancy they get crabby and bored just like women do. Now and again I've seen our mares, yearlings & foals eat dirt & clay & such from time to time and while not in response to that but we have given them mineral blocks, some of which are too soft and they tend to demolish those quickly and others which will stick around a bit longer. One of their most favoured was a big block of Rock Salt (the more iron oxide (red) in them the better). As I said though, odds on she's had enough and wants the little bugger out asap.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Thanks Triple (and also eliteblood!!). I put one of them block things in and she's been throwing it at side of house. Much like I do when no mashed potatoes in evening meal ! Are you related to Nathan Varcoe ? If so he's one of the most helpful (and more important, courteous) people I've ever spoken to.

Come on Mona throw it out tonight! Am sick of those Genie Bra ads!!

triplev123
    Yes indeed. I'm proud to claim him as my brother and I'm also relieved to note that he is on foal watch tonight instead of me. We're waiting for a foal that's coming from a mare that looks like she's about to explode she is so big and so over it. I am expecting a call any tick of the clock.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Paul give her a calcium molasses block should do the trick
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Paul give her a calcium molasses block should do the trick
    [VVV] Ok Greg, I'll bite. Why that specifically? Have you had success using them in the past? Always willing to give pretty much anything a shot.

triplev123
    Btw both our mares and yearlings absolutely chew the Hell out of the bark of some of the trees in their paddocks but not others. We've ended up wrapping the ones they aim up on in 1cm square mesh to stop them though there's one where they've managed to shift the mesh and have another go. I'm pretty certain that's a boredome thing too.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Because they are lacking something in their diet and a calcium molasses block usually will fix it they don't chew trees for nothing either that or theyre hungry .Make sure it's not the one with Urea in it
    Details

A MULTI-MINERAL LICK BLOCK FOR ALL LIVESTOCK

When to Use Olssons Calcium Molasses:
    When designing supplements for ruminants, the primary objective is feeding the microorganisms in the rumen.

The bacteria in the rumen require an array of minerals and elements to process feed.

Nitrogen, phosphorus and sulphur are some of the major elements required for the synthesis of amino acids and protein.

There is a concentration of these elements at which rumen microbes function optimally, so each of these elements must be in balance.

The effect of balancing these essential elements is an efficient breakdown of dry and fibrous feeds, such as dry pastures and stubble.

When this ratio is correct, the protein derived from the bacteria in the rumen results in more digestion of the food eaten by the animal and more protein for the animal to digest.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
    Salt (NaCl) Max. 54.4%
    Min. 53.0%
    Calcium (Ca) Min. 13.7%
    Phosphorus (P) Min. 0.6%
    Magnesium (Mg) Min. 200mg/kg
    Iron (Fe+++) Min. 975mg/kg
    Sulphur (S) Min. 250mg/kg
    Molasses 6.0%

Application:
    A multi-mineral lick block for all livestock

Net Weights:
    20kg

Feeding Instructions:
    Remove outer carton and plastic cover and place near water troughs, dams and stock camps. Place out sufficient blocks to avoid overcrowding of stock. Initially, the consumption rate will be higher than average, but higher rates of consumption will drop after an initial "gorging" period. Replace immediately when consumed.

Consumption Guide:
    The following rates will increase or decrease according to varying pasture conditions.
    Cattle 100 - 150 g/head/day
    Sheep 20 - 50 g/head/day
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

+ Reply to Thread