Thread: Mr. X

Member Yearling JCT2011 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown

Mr. X

Trots driver free to race despite fraud admission
    Tom Reilly, Chris Roots
    September 2, 2011

A LEADING harness racing driver has been allowed to continue competing despite admitting his involvement in a corruption scandal that threatens to destroy the sport.

The driver, who cannot be named for legal reasons, met the head of harness racing in NSW and confirmed his involvement in the fraud, in which it is alleged crooked stewards allowed horses to be doped as part of an elaborate betting sting.

Since that meeting, the driver, who is in his 20s, has won several races on tracks in the state.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    The revelation comes as trotting - on which more than $2.2 billion a year is wagered - battles to restore its reputation amid fears that hundreds of races could have been fixed.

Parallel investigations are being conducted by police detectives and the head of integrity at Harness Racing NSW.

The Herald can also reveal that more than 40 trainers, drivers and owners have been asked to provide documents, including phone records, to the sport's authorities as they try to establish links among corrupt participants.

A source familiar with the investigation said some trainers and drivers had submitted incomplete phone records, and others had claimed not to own mobile phones despite having regularly been seen talking on handsets. No one under suspicion has yet lost their licence.

A racecourse insider said of the driver's meeting with the chief executive of Harness Racing NSW, Sam Nati: "Driver X [name withheld by the Herald] met with Sam and took along his parents. He put his hands up to being involved in two races that were hot, but it became clear that Sam knew of more involvement and that this wasn't going to be something that could be hushed up."

The driver has confirmed the meeting but denied making any admission of illegal activity. His father told the Herald: ''Yeah, I met Sam for a beer and my son came along. There's nothing unusual or illegal in that.''

Asked if they had discussed corruption, he replied: ''We didn't talk about nothing.''

Last night, Mr Nati said: "We have had a number of informal discussions with various participants. But who those people are and what was discussed is confidential until such time as they are formally interviewed as part of the investigation.

"Some people have suggested that those suspected of being involved should have been stood down pending the outcome of the inquiry … but this inquiry is far-reaching and all-encompassing so we believe [it's right] to adopt the innocent until proven guilty edict."

The Herald understands that harness racing officials have told participants that involvement in the scam cannot go unpunished but "penalties will be mitigated" if those involved provide information that assists investigations.

The scandal erupted when the car belonging to the chief steward, Bill Cable, was firebombed on August 5. The next Monday, two stewards - Matthew Bentley, 24, and Paul O'Toole, 47 - resigned after being confronted with evidence of alleged wrongdoing.

Authorities will allege both men were receiving payments - perhaps as much as $1000 a horse - not to test certain runners for drugs, thereby giving corrupt trainers, punters and drivers a huge advantage in orchestrating betting plunges. It is believed as many as 80 per cent of the doped horses won their races.

On Wednesday, Harness Racing NSW announced it would allocate up to $1 million for an integrity fund to cover costs from the scandal. The money will also be used to increase race day drug testing and provide greater security on the track.

''There's no doubt that, in terms of perception and ill feeling, we've hit rock bottom, but I believe we can bounce back,'' Mr Nati said.

''I'm pleased the police have announced a task force so that people can have the confidence that it [the scandal] is being investigated properly.''

Real Name
    Unknown
    Watch them all drop now! Especially with 'Mr. X' possibly assisting...

triplev123
    Go get 'em Sam. Nail the bastards to the wall.

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train

Bloody Homer!

Banned Colt thesushitrain is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Unknown
    when i read this article a classifieds add on the left 'senior fraud analyst...location - western sydney'

Member Filly tyson will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Tyson Jones
    Horses
    Scrap Art, Shezarascal, Franco Torro
    So now someone has owned up to a so called 2 races that were fixed. Do they treat those races as the same as a positive swab and allocate the 2nd place horse to 1st. It would be fair but geez it would nearly be impossible.

Thesushitrain - Whats your problem with western sydney ?

Banned Colt thesushitrain is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Unknown
    western sydney.... where hrnsw is based...hence the joke that the ad was for a fraud analyst with hrnsw...

i'd be thinking mr x would be a low key member in this, anyone high up has nothing to gain by cooperating whereas a person with less involvement could realistically have a reduced penalty for assisting
    Last edited by thesushitrain; 09-02-2011 at 06:57 PM.

triplev123
    Gday TST,
    Since around 10am or so this morning when I first read that piece things are just a little less disturbed here. You hear the rumours of course but to see things in all but black and white in the paper is something else again.
    Sadly, for many including myself it didn't take Sherlock Holmes to read between the lines. On a personal note I am all but lost for the words to express just how bitterly disappointed I am in the fella whom I think is in all probability Mr. X.
    I'd like it on record that I've long admired his ability in the bike and he's always been at the top of my list of go to guys if we needed or if anyone else I knew ever needed/asked me for suggestions about a driver here in Sydney or anywhere else for that matter. Not only has he let himself down but he has let his family, his mates, his supporters and the Industry down. I'm gutted, I really am and I know for sure that in this instance I am not the only one. There's always a chance for redemption I guess, some are a chance, some are beyond it...but it will be a bloody long road.

Real Name
    Unknown
    VVV,

He has had immense talent in the bike, but unfortunately 'Mr. X''s reputation certainly has dipped over the past 18 months or so. Its a crying shame as he certainly can drive!

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Nothing really to add , you guys have said it all. A tragedy on every level , indeed.

+ Reply to Thread