Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Driver weights

Banned Yearling cityboy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dougie miller

should harness racing drivers have minimum - maximum weights and races be handicapped

should harness racing drivers have minimum to maximum weights and races be handicapped according to weights like i.e 10kg = front row --10kg back row etc or +10kg down 1 class would like some feedback as i notice ever so frequently that female drivers (who are natural lightweights are always winning putting the others at a disadvantage - should all drivers be for example 60kg - 90kg in weight to drive at races and be handicapped for weight in that range?

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Big (pardon the pun) subject there George,

there was a rule which was deleted back in the sixeties that essentially meant all drivers under 10 stone ( about 60 kilos) had to carry weight in/under their sulky seat to make up the difference.

I think to handicap harness horses, ( whilst there is no doubt that weight is a factor) by weights is an unproven but certainly researchable option.

Being a little fat bastard myself I would look forward to finally getting some sort of advantage out of that but I seriously don't like my chances.

If you look at the issue scientifically, when you start measuring the affect of weight on energy when being drawn on modern roller/ball bearings nthat are commonplace these days, the weight factor is ALMOST not worth talking about.

aussiebreno
    Check out the record of Gary Lang trained horses when Gary hops off and Alison Short jumps on. Best example I can find. They improve lengths. As for how much it helps and hinders and over different distances would need some nifty scientists for sure.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    My dad was a light weight & had to carry extra weight.
    Used to do it in the gallops too, I think????
    The monte riders have a 65k start weight.
    Been a few threads on weight, I would rather be pulling a lightweight than a tubby if I was a horse I reckon.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Hi Trish, I saw you Father in a Doco swimming his horses and he was only slight. Would I be right in saying that drivers wear a lot more protective gear these days??
    Last edited by Richard prior; 05-18-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Big (pardon the pun) subject there George,

there was a rule which was deleted back in the sixeties that essentially meant all drivers under 10 stone ( about 60 kilos) had to carry weight in/under their sulky seat to make up the difference.

I think to handicap harness horses, ( whilst there is no doubt that weight is a factor) by weights is an unproven but certainly researchable option.

Being a little fat bastard myself I would look forward to finally getting some sort of advantage out of that but I seriously don't like my chances.

If you look at the issue scientifically, when you start measuring the affect of weight on energy when being drawn on modern roller/ball bearings nthat are commonplace these days, the weight factor is ALMOST not worth talking about.
    I always pictured you as a big athletic bastard Danno.
    I always thought that a lighter weight would have to be an advantage but can remember around the time that Barry Purdon was driving Vics Vance to win the Hunter Cup - claims that his extra weight was not a disadvantage
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    NO. Women drivers have softer hands so the horse's 9 times out of ten will go better for them.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt

Driver weights

Been some debate on other social media since the ID following a published piece from a gallops commentator of the effect of the weight of the drivers and if light weight drivers have an advantage. And if there should be a return to the days of minimum weights.

Most of the answer is in the physics but the short answer is yes, depending on how the sulky is balanced and attached. It’s not as straight forward as the weights used in gallop racing as pulling a load is different to carrying a load, but basically with the drivers weight placed behind the axle it removes the load from the horses back and enables the horse to go faster. The weight doesn’t disappear but is transferred to the sulky wheels which are more efficient at carrying a load (condition of wheel and bearings not withstanding!) then a horses leg. Improvement in sulky design is a major reason we race much faster now. Where’s Reg Walsh? I’m sure he can explain it MUCH better then me. And of course a drivers ability is a bigger contribution to success then a drivers weight! But the most successful drivers will be within a relatively small and lightweight range.

Anyway the conversation has got to the point where weighted sulkys can be more dangerous in the event of a fall to Kima Frenning having to drive in a 22kg lead vest!! ( that’s almost half her body weight added)

But sometimes we don’t see the forest for the trees. If standing starts are out for handicapping purposes ( I still think there is a place for them) why do we not do the obvious and add a weighted saddle cloth to our horses for handicapping purposes?

Ok it would be a pain in the butt for the all clear because we would probably have to add weighing in before posting all clear which would be less then ideal, unless a “weight steward” attached them at the start, and checked they were still on at the finish. But there is bucket loads of data available from TBs as to determine exactly how much of an impact each kilo of added weight has.

A ridiculous suggestion, or something to consider as we try to move our game forward?

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    I have located a previous thread re this subject and have merged it with Dot's posts so you can see previous views re her topic.....

+ Reply to Thread