Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Antique photo postcards

Junior Member Foal Decka will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David De Corrado

Antique photo postcards

I have three albums of original photo postcards that were never used( 300+ in total ) I believe these were not mass produced postcards but were personal photos taken and made into postcards. I think their from the 1930's and all the racers are conviently named next to each picture. There's some great pics of racers being put through their paces in practice not actual races. There's some great pics of Lawn Derby and many others.
    Attached Images

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    They look like a real find David, how did you come by them?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    David De Corrado
    I found them on Gumtree.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Decka View Post
    I have three albums of original photo postcards that were never used( 300+ in total ) I believe these were not mass produced postcards but were personal photos taken and made into postcards. I think their from the 1930's and all the racers are conviently named next to each picture. There's some great pics of racers being put through their paces in practice not actual races. There's some great pics of Lawn Derby and many others.
    Hi David
    This is a real find !
    Would you mind listing some of the horses on the postcards?
    I suspect that many of the photos are one offs. If they are, would you be willing to use your phone to take a pic of a few of them?

Can you indicate which state the horses are mostly from? Lawn Derby would be NSW, unless he was photographed in NZ.

Real Name
    David De Corrado
    Some of the horses that I have picture postcards for are: hamstead derby, lulu bob, Logan park, lord spot, Lizzie lu, Laurie voyage, loqacious, lord Marvin, little Eva, lee gold, lucky argot, Lionel hanks, Lou land, lulu glide, loughlin gold, wrinkle, wilver blue, Windsor derby, western queen, pyramid, princess myrtle, princess Beatrice, prince kintore, paddy lu, teddy alto, torpedo lad, semper perata, speedmill, Simla ribbons, spot dance, sunrise, say guy, smeaton, sandy derby, silvers choice, Sadie hanks, joys john, just cole, joe worthy, king Siam, ulster ribbons, naïvette, nice walla, rich almont, rock major, radiant walla, Robert Dixie, royals sister, ribbonwood hanks, red bee, maori gill, meringa derby, major wood, miss guy fawkes, Melba pronto, miss mcnab, milwaukies pride, Mary mode, Marion prince, Maori flight, tarcombe, deemster, lawn derby, lady healani, guardsman, Louis royal, patties voyage, Robert derby, Louis royal, Torquemada, true abbey, Mavis Wilkes, gold jacket, dans son, design lad, Ethel marvista, molly ula, me kardo, billy hanks, sparkling Wilbur, palotta, john almont, ruby stretta, sergeant major, princess healani, southern lady, Sierra Leone, noble globe, radiant walla, merles hope, machine girl, spartan, bronze direct, moving don, Marion axworthy, step out, Peter win, wrinkle lu, Simla ribbons, royal van.......these are the picture postcards in just one of the albums. I will list the other names in the other two albums when I get a chance.

Real Name
    David De Corrado
    Some more of the horses that I have picture postcards for are: Linda derby, Bert derby, gallant lady, crystal ribbons, midnight lu, mauritius voyage, flying hinkler, flying cole, flying daly, Euli Sam, major flyedo, major speed, Logan derby, Myra derby, lawn derby, Jim derby, miss wonga, miss emantee, les royal, les Huon, dorals derby, Dallas deen, mystery Bess, junee rose, jazzaway, john globe, Helen axworthy, Dorothy win, princess lylock, essantee, al galindo, loius durfee, lulu dick, lily Douglas, gauntlet boy, grand Harold, golden gift, lascas image, gentle Bobbie, glamis, globes wonder, Cornella king, centre belle, black hope, Belmont abbey, burri, boy wonga, Bess ribbons, David Belmont, don lawn, desert song, danedo, hushyles image, mosstrooper, midnight lu, molly thrussell, mystic Myra, Wonga lea, peterwah, prince floritius, princess pronto, tereena, Wendy, war gem, royal salute, royal walla, red Andy, marmistas pride, oat eater, repeta mac, nicepal, navaledo, shekels, satin derby, switch boy, speedy boy, lord oxford, ly adonium, lady bright, wauraltee, royal van, great royal, machine girl, lulus favorite, lu adon, kolect, Lucy boy, lady childewood, lady underdale, major Adonis, mickey speed.......

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks David. This is super interesting to harness history buffs (cue Noel)

For some reason I decided to look on ClassicFamilies and started with Miss Wonga (don't ask me why) and under the History tab I discovered she is in Classics database for winning the Horsham Cup and the St Pats Open at Minyip - so we definitely have Vic here Noel

David you might be interested in using Classic Families to look up some of your postcards

http://classicfamilies.net/horsedetails.aspx

after you enter and find one of your horses the History tab will tell you any classic races they won and if they are a mare the Descendants tab could prove interestin
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge

Bendigo Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Thanks David. This is super interesting to harness history buffs (cue Noel)

For some reason I decided to look on ClassicFamilies and started with Miss Wonga (don't ask me why) and under the History tab I discovered she is in Classics database for winning the Horsham Cup and the St Pats Open at Minyip - so we definitely have Vic here Noel

David you might be interested in using Classic Families to look up some of your postcards

http://classicfamilies.net/horsedetails.aspx

after you enter and find one of your horses the History tab will tell you any classic races they won and if they are a mare the Descendants tab could prove interestin

Good work Kev.
    Classic Families is a goldmine...Dorals Derby ( one of David's Postcards) won the Bendigo JC Open in 1934.
    Robert Derby and the ID winner Dans Son are there.

David..you have certainly stirred a lot of interest, including from John Peck.
    Please contact me by email ridgennoel@gmail.com to arrange a chat.
    It would be great if you could.
    Thanks

Real Name
    David De Corrado
    Thanks for letting me know about the classic families site, I will definitely check it out.

Real Name
    David De Corrado
    Thanx for all the interest in the postcards. It’s a truly great historical collection and I appreciate all the offers but these belong in a museum where they can be seen. They would also be a great resource for someone wanting to put together a new book. I’m overseas at the moment but will endeavor to catch up with those interested in viewing them when I return to Australia.....

+ Reply to Thread