Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Cup 2019

aussiebreno
    Go back to 2006 we had the Hunter Cup, an M4plus, M2-M3. This year there is half the horses. With prizemoney for normal Metro racing now so good in most states is there less of an incentive to travel for interstate features?

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    But should it be Tony? Should a horse that has never won a Metro race be eligible for an elite race?

The M1 this year is Raukapuka Ruler: assessed as R88 in NZ
    He had 1 win (his M0) and 0 placings in the last season and a bit before being exported here
    Here he has run a nice second to My Field Marshal in a Metro race and in his non Metro win at Menangle ran good time (both only mile races). A slow Goulburn win is his only other credit.
    He has ability but has only put one real score on the board - The Norhern Derby nearly 2 years ago. Is that enough to be entitled to a crack at the Hunter Cup.
    Admittedly others have been given a shot with less

In the NZ Cup the only creditable run by a horse rated <100 was that of Forgotten Highway who managed 8th

I suppose it depends on whether you see the AG Hunter as a 'Cox Plate' or a 'Melbourne Cup'

I guess programming it as a M0+ makes it the latter
    What you are really asking is how do group 1 winners over here get into Group one races over there? The answer to that is obvious I would say.
    The next question is how do group 1 winners over here get M0 or M1 assessments over there? That is a question I don't have an answer to that satisfys my own curiosity.
    The next question is why are Australian over there starting to buy our better horses like the aforementioned Raukapuka Ruler along with Sicario and yes even Tiger Tara and Chicago Bull to name but a few? It's because they will go over there to such a low rating that they can pay back in truckloads for their large purchase price. Everyone wins. Kiwis get bigger money for their best horses, Aussies buy these good horses to race for good money against lesser lights due to their assessment paying back their outlay with major interest.
    The only losers are the poor Aussies who have to compete against these and the Australian administrators who are slow to react to what their handicapping system is doing to the industry.

Just as the foal numbers in Australia are down season on season so too are our foal numbers. It's already at the stage of you taking our best knowing you can make up your outlay on a good NZ horse. As Aussie's breeding barn we will soon run out of horses. What then? IMO the answer lies in your handicapping system.
    Back to the original point. Raukupuka Ruler (20-6-2) Gp1(1-0-0) is well qualified on race performance to compete in the Hunter Cup. WE are having to allow any race winners into the NZ Cup when previously you needed 10 Handicap wins just to nominate. Why the change?
    Our intermediate graders have been exported. And now the market wants our best and will pay anything for them knowing the outlay will return a handsome profit all things considered.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yes I suppose RR was not a good M1 to pick on - being a Gp1 winner

You have had to change noms for the NZ Cup because of our thieving - you would think with all our purchases we might have had an even hotter field (and a full field) for tonight's Hunter but on reflection it is a pretty good field
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I noticed with the dining options for tonight that if you wanted to be in the Legends Room you would want to be a drinker as the only option was $125 per person with drinks

https://www.summerofglory.com.au/aghuntercupdining/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Words of Wisdom Tony

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Hopefully the proposed ratings system will work to address the current imbalance, but attention to programming and prizemoney and more will be required to return sustainability to the industry in each state and both countries. And whilst no doubt the financial returns weight heavily in the minds of most purchasers of NZ stock that isn’t always the case, with the wife of one very wealthy purchaser of recents times apparently declaring we don’t care about the money, we just want the trophies!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A magnificent Record breaking win by the Tiger. There were black figures to be had on track!
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Ladbrokes had a $2.50 promo. Only allowed $20 max bet but better than nothing.

We had the big 3 fall away (Laz, Bull, Tribeca) but this is one of the all time great seasons. Preux Chevalier 84/85 probably just slightly ahead heading into the Miracle Mile. Any other challengers?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    How quickly we forget. Laz last year. NZ Cup, with TT in it, ID with TT, Bull and ST. Freo Cup (2nd) wide the journey with Bull and ST, Hunter Cup, with TT and ST.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    How quickly we forget. Laz last year. NZ Cup, with TT in it, ID with TT, Bull and ST. Freo Cup (2nd) wide the journey with Bull and ST, Hunter Cup, with TT and ST.
    Lazarus's wins unreal and given the opposition and the way he did it I have Lazarus ahead of Tiger Tara in terms of ability. I'm just talking in terms of what their honour roll/# of Gp1 wins looks like at the end of the season:

Preux Chevalier won what I consider the big 4 of Aust Harness - ID, Hunter Cup, Miracle Mile and Vic Cup. He doesn't go down as good as a Popular Alm or a Gammalite in the history books but that was some season when looking at the honour rolls.

Tiger Tara 3/4 of the way there with a 2nd to boot in the NZ Cup. As good as horses like Blacks a Fake are I don't think they have managed to win that many big Grand Circuit races in the one season.

Laz only

+ Reply to Thread