Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apg 2019

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Apg 2019

The numbers seem down.
    We have 2 small heats for each sex at Melton tomorrow
    Plus a small heat for the fillies at Albion Park followed by one for the colts on Saturday
    We have already had one for each at GP a fortnight ago

What happened to the scheduled heats for Menangle on Saturday - I guess they did not stand up

In total it would seem that only 23 fillies and 28 colts and geldings are contesting the series
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    The field sizes are down but 2 heats for fillies and 2 heats for colts in Vic is what the new format is, no semis anymore, winner and runner up from Vic Heats through to final. Menangles has the same number of heats but they have been transferred to Tuesday’s meeting as they weren’t optimum for wagering returns on the metro meeting. So the totals are a bit higher but still disappointing.

What has been a talking point though is the series conditions indicate that the heats will be conducted for a states base prizemoney so Vic has programmed their heats for $7k, NSW’s heats are apparently being run for approx $11k and Qlds heats apparently are also for higher stakemoney.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks Dot, that makes sense. The Menangle heats should be available at 4pm today
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Menangle fields

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=ME300419

Which means (barring any scratchings) we will have had 38 fillies and 41 C&Gs contest the series

Emma Stewart/Chris Alford won all 4 heats at Melton today (and only 1 was a favourite)

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=MX260419
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Does that include WA Kev for which the heats were a few weeks ago? Evenso, disappointing numbers and whilst no doubt the finals will be keenly contested the APG series is far from hitting a home run as far as cost, format and appeal go.
    Last edited by Dot; 04-27-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yes, Dot, that includes the 2 heats in WA a couple of weeks back
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Albion Ark wins at Albion Park

With 7 of the 9 starters it was a fair chance that Grant Dixon was going to train the C&G's heat at Albion Park tonight

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...19#APC27041908

Pelosi's win in the fillies heat last night was over 5secs faster.
    1.53.3 for a 2yo filly winning by 23m is a fair run

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...19#APC26041909
    Last edited by Messenger; 04-28-2019 at 01:25 AM. Reason: added last nights
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Menangle first heat for the C&G and it was crunch time and Crunch Time the outsider of the field gets up at $51

Then the first heat for the Fillies and the cream of breeding rises to the top as Mackenzie and Vincent's little sis Keep Rockin notches up her first win

Spy Major and Roscommon Rose win the other 2 heats to ensure all the favourites were beaten
    Unfortunately for Luke McCarthy backers, he created a sprint lane for a couple that were on his back

https://www.harness.org.au/racing/fi...s/?mc=ME300419
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    "Holy Nightmare Batman!"
    What were you guys doing when I was in hospital having a zipper put in my chest?
    10 weeks later I have just now remembered that I missed the APG finals (the anaesthetic is a killer)

I have some serious replay watching to do this weekend
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Ahhhh watching the APG finals Kev what do you think we were ( or at least I was ) doing? I say that because the change in format meant apparently a good deal more people then you Kev, for far more mundane reasons then a bit of maintenance on a dicky ticker, missed it too! I could tell you Kev, but I’ll leave you to watch!

Been a couple of industry forums among vendors and purchasers predominantly about the future of the sale and series. Apparently well attended and a survey containing a number of options has since been put out by APG I think, not that I’ve seen it, as it appears that it’s only been sent to those who buy and sell at APG to see what sort of changes they’d like to see, rather then also including those who don’t buy and sell at APG to see what changes would get them to participate.

Dont know what other options were offered but know that reducing prizemoney for the major APG finals and introducing an APG first win bonus to share the wealth around more is quite popular with a number of people.

+ Reply to Thread