Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Are Enough Pre-Race Swabs Being Taken?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Wayne, aren't out of comp testing - stable visits conducted by full-time employees and therefore should not affect the integrity budget (ie Require a cut back in pre race swabs)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Good point Kev, but, perhaps it's more a strategic redirection? There would be associated expenditure, travel costs etc. Not sure how much things like drones cost, could you slip that under contractors to 'balance the books'?
    Does it depend on how you look at integrity overall? If pre race swab expenditure increased but you didn't bolster your integrity team with investigators, strategists, information and intelligence analysts who improve the way you attack, you'd be happy?
    Somewhere along the line the books have to be balanced. No room for an increase in employees who happen to work in integrity, ok, but we'll increase pre race swabs to make up for that. Even though it might not be as successful a strategy.
    Like I've said, if the 'overall' integrity budget took a hit I'd be like many others before. This time, if I deemed we went back to not being serious about a level playing field, I'm out of here. It's bad enough with all these VCAT stays and delayed RADB hearings.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I think it is obvious that certain stables are using substances that can't be detected via pre or post race tests. The only way to catch them is to catch them putting it in or test them out of racing. I think drones, stable inspections, surveillance and even spies will get better results.

It would be nice if every runner was tested before and after racing but I suppose they only have a limited budget.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    HRV Integrity announces TCO2 changes

https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=40411

Nsw has had a similar policy for awhile
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-21-2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Title

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    HRV Integrity will implement a new policy on June 1 designed to reduce the number of horses presenting with elevated TCO2 levels and disrupt/prevent the likelihood of illegal race day treatment.
    From June 1, where a blood sample collected from a horse returns a TCO2 level of greater than 35.1mmol/L, HRV stewards will implement one of the following options for that horse’s next three race starts.

OPTION A. The trainer of the relevant horse shall ensure it is present on course no less than four hours prior to the scheduled start time in which the horse is entered at a Victorian harness racing meeting.

OPTION B. The trainer of the horse which returned an elevated TCO2 level shall be retained on course for a minimum of three hours after the horse has completed its scheduled race at a Victorian harness racing meeting.

OPTION C. The Stewards shall attend the registered training address of the trainer of the horse which returned the elevated TCO2 level for as long as is deemed reasonably necessary on the day of the race to supervise the pre-race preparation of the subject horse(s) when engaged at a Victorian race meeting. The intention of this action is to disrupt and prevent the likelihood of any race day treatment occurring.

Follows the increase in penalties for tubing and TCO2

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    On the TCO2 rule changes, I think it's a good step but shouldn't it be the trainer that is monitored as well as the horse. Every runner that the trainer presents to the races after they present one with a high reading should come under the conditions. The horse doesn't tube its self. There may be a very small % of horses that have a naturally high reading but for most they only get it via tubing or feed.

OPTION B. The trainer of the horse which returned an elevated TCO2 level shall be retained on course for a minimum of three hours after the horse has completed its scheduled race at a Victorian harness racing meeting.

Shouldn't this say "the trainer and the horse" ? What use is it keeping just the trainer back ? I thought they may want to test the horse again after 3 hours. Not much point if the trainer stays but the horse has been taken away.
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post

Shouldn't this say "the trainer and the horse" ? What use is it keeping just the trainer back ? I thought they may want to test the horse again after 3 hours. Not much point if the trainer stays but the horse has been taken away.
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Well picked up Rick. But you never know being kept back after “school” regularly might change some trainers behaviour!

+ Reply to Thread