Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Claimers

Junior Member Weanling protege will become famous soon enough protege's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    Coach

Claimers

Good on Cran Dalgety and Addington for getting behind the high end claimers.
    I find NZers seem reticent to put a price on their horse in case someone is just around the corner willing to offer them more.
    At the low-end the way Mighty Memories raced in the amatuer races here on Thursday he is value at $3000 on Tuesday at Gore- despite the 114 start 2 win career he has registered to date.
    I am pleased to see the claimers being embraced more readily here in New Zealand now. They are possibly getting more than their share currently with competitive stakes and race frequency but in saying that the opportunity is open to all us owners. If only i could decide on the true value of my horses.
    Premier Horse Nursery of the World- Southland!

nat
    Claimer are a good way to race horse that have had their time in the sun and are just below open class and instead of making up the numbers in FFA claiming races give them opportunity for these horses to win and pay their way here in Oz we have seen in recent time horses you would never had thought be racing in a claimer racing in them although with a good price on their head but that’s the name of the game you just have to put the right price so if they are claimed there’s no regrets, $50,000 claimer make good racing

Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    Coach
    I see no claims on Living Proof and About Ambition for $40000. Living Proof is interesting with all the Southern Country Cups racing in the next month there is potential to win a fair chunk of the purchase price back and that would help maintain his on sale value.

Junior Member Weanling Bruce Hadley will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown

Smile Great ....but

Claiming races continue to be patronised by a small group of trainers (North anyway). There are several issues that I see as stumbling blocks.
    A $3000 claimer is not able to compete against a $7000 claimer with any real success. Therefore, there needs to be multiple claiming classes $1000 - $5000, and then $5001 - $10,000 etc etc
    With most training bills running close to $2000 per month, it takes some swallowing for the owner when they are told by their trainer it is only worth $4000. Especially when they may have paid 0000's for it at the yearling sales. Although it is the right thing to do, there is a reticence to put the horse in.
    Many trainers dont want to see their horse go to another trainer and perhaps improve We all have egos, and trainers are not immune to this.

Member Filly eljay will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Lloyd Jury
    Occupation
    Retired
    All I need to know is who's turn is it to win this week

Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    Coach
    Hope you got on to Mighty Memories yesterday. No one claimed it which surprised me. It paid way over it's rightful odds.
    Bruce Forbury have done as you say and got two fields based on claiming price. Unfortunately two horses that raced yesterday scratched and have left a 6 horse field. That really frustrates me. Both horses raced below expectations on Tuesday but with the claiming prices they are in for they cannot devalue themselves any more. No scratching penalty could be severe enough for scratching two horses when the club is trying to be proactive and give the claimers a go. No injuries were stated in the stipes report so i assume the horses are healthy enough to be racing.

Junior Member Weanling Bruce Hadley will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown

Stand Down

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Hope you got on to Mighty Memories yesterday. No one claimed it which surprised me. It paid way over it's rightful odds.
    Bruce Forbury have done as you say and got two fields based on claiming price. Unfortunately two horses that raced yesterday scratched and have left a 6 horse field. That really frustrates me. Both horses raced below expectations on Tuesday but with the claiming prices they are in for they cannot devalue themselves any more. No scratching penalty could be severe enough for scratching two horses when the club is trying to be proactive and give the claimers a go. No injuries were stated in the stipes report so i assume the horses are healthy enough to be racing.
    I stand to be corrected, but if you scratch from a claiming event, you get a 30 day stand down.

Member Filly eljay will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Lloyd Jury
    Occupation
    Retired
    Correct

+ Reply to Thread