Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Vicbred Super Series 2019

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Anne, I think most of the problems are caused by the lack of horse numbers at present. They could program Open mares races more often but they wouldn't get enough nominations to run a race. Also doesn't help that one strong stable dominates the big money races and scares many others away. I think the blame lays with poor planing by past and present boards. They continue to ignore falling foal numbers and only offer token short sighted solutions.

Just my opinion and I mean no offense to you or your horses and I hope that you continue to have success. Our industry needs both large and small owners, trainers and breeders to survive , I think having any one stable dominate so much is driving away the smaller investors.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    I love racing and breeding my fillies and mares Rick. Have been doing it for 50 years and I am still passionate about my horses. Frustration and disappointment got to me when I searched for a race for Abbey . It’s been the same for decades but I agree smaller fields and races not standing up have highlighted and exacerbated the problem. Without racing opportunities and decent prize money many owners and breeders are walking away.
    As a breeder I feel the industry is in crisis. The upcoming change of direction from a leading Vic stud this season will have a huge impact on the small to mid sized breeders with added costs for all. Yabby Dam Farms have announced a substantial reduction in their participation and this comes from an owner who has made a major investment in the industry.
    I posed a question to David Martin recently regarding the NR of one of my horses and was told to give the system “time “ . I fear time is running out !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Unfortunately Anne the new "Handicapping System" will not solve the lack of horses being bred or people leaving the industry. It may help some owners and frustrate others. They are hell bent on running more and more races, they don't seem to care about how uneven the races are or small fields ! The tiered prize money races were going to fix everything but as most expected it has made it worse.

In my opinion the new board and the previous one are/were just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic and refusing to admit there is a leak. Anybody that mentions the leak is told to "give it time" !
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Out of interest Rick what would you propose to get more horses bred and stop people leaving the industry? And how would you fund it?

Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    I don't have a magical fix for the industry Dot but I know what they are currently trying is not working. They should not be using turnover as a measure of success , they should be using foal numbers and industry participant numbers.
    Breeding bonuses need to be aimed at smaller breeders . They need to concentrate on getting people back to the tracks. They need to remodel the Melton facilities to make it a more punter and people friendly place. I don't think the idea of running as many races as possible with small fields will help in the long run. The tiered prize money system is a disaster and is driving many away. Integrity is still a big issue.

I think that the bottom line is if you can get more people on track and interested in the sport it will eventually solve the problems. Aim more at the ownership, breeding and social experience and not just all about gamboling.
    How you do that and fund it ? That's the job for people in charge, and they should be people with passion and experience in harness racing.
    They need to start really listening to people in the industry, look at the reasons they are leaving. At the moment many of the people that I speak to and including myself think that the current board is treating us like idiots.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    I love racing and breeding my fillies and mares Rick. Have been doing it for 50 years and I am still passionate about my horses. Frustration and disappointment got to me when I searched for a race for Abbey . It’s been the same for decades but I agree smaller fields and races not standing up have highlighted and exacerbated the problem. Without racing opportunities and decent prize money many owners and breeders are walking away.
    As a breeder I feel the industry is in crisis. The upcoming change of direction from a leading Vic stud this season will have a huge impact on the small to mid sized breeders with added costs for all. Yabby Dam Farms have announced a substantial reduction in their participation and this comes from an owner who has made a major investment in the industry.
    I posed a question to David Martin recently regarding the NR of one of my horses and was told to give the system “time “ . I fear time is running out !
    Perhaps this is a help to you Anne, I confess HRNSW has put a heap of stuff out and I’ve only just scanned through it so I’m not sure of the frequency of these races, every week might mean a trainer change but Pistol Abbey would be racing mares as you wish Anne.

https://www.harness.org.au/NEWS/news...uly%202019.pdf

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Thanks Dot.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Interesting to look at the sire lines of the six Vicbred Super Series finals at the weekend.
    No Cam Fella sireline winners.That's a change from the domination by Bettors Delight in Group 1 finals.

2 Direct Scooters (Somebeachsomewhere)
    3 Adios Line ..or Abercrombie line ( Art Major)
    1 No Nukes.. (Western Terror)

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Finally home and I got the time to listen to the RSN Stewart and Tonkin extended interview
    Although I previously listed their achievements on the night, it sounds more mind-blowing when they state that their horses filled 16/18 places in the Gp1's
    I would have liked it if they had delved a little further into the secret to their success - saying that it is just hard work makes it sound like the rest of the industry are lazy layabouts
    They did say that Clayton has a special talent for picking yearlings - something you cannot teach
    He is a serious believer in light weight drivers
    Reminiscing about Safari's win over Blacks A Fake in the Ballarat Cup

They kept talking about the training partnership and yet it is not one officially

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...layton-tonkin/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Kevin, most people that I speak to in the industry call them "the Tonkin horses". I think it makes a joke of the integrity push that they are not officially a training partnership.

We would all like to know what their secret is !!!!!!
    Don't die wondering !

+ Reply to Thread