Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Bent legs

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    VVV certainly nobody looks after your own best interests like yourself! Hence i've moved my mare to a property closer to Sydney so I can be more involved but it won't be as much as you are.

I have come to the conclusion that in the STB industry most of the big operators are in "remote" areas as far as getting high quality farriers goes. In one instance I've seen a newly shod galloper come down from a very successfull bush trainer and honestly I could have shod it 10x better and I CANT shoe!

triplev123
    G'day Dizzy,
    We've just recently had a young fella come out and do all our yearlings and he does an excellent job, he's the apprentice of a good mate of a mate of my fathers & I think he was born to it, he's a natural. I couldn't shoe a rocking horse myself but their feet now look exactly like they should look, not just a half arsed rasp & a bit of a clip here & there. Afterwards I reckon you can tell pretty much straight away by the way that they stand, when their posture is such that they look more like they're growing out of the ground instead of just standing upon it...then for mine that's well balanced. I've seen a few ungeared but race shod pics of some of the top North American horses and that's something that has always struck me about them. They look so well balanced. Up there they seem to pay so much more attention to their feet than we generally do down here.

Flashing Red
    Are you kidding me? :O They shoe at angles 49 degrees OR less in front in North America! I've even seen some with angles as low as 46. Balanced? They OPENLY admit shoeing like that causes undue pressure on the tendons, ligaments and joints however there is a belief over there that it gives them that little bit extra speed. The farriers I talk to said that it helps some horses but not others, but that the trainers just get all of them shod like that. I would much rather a sound horse and keep vet bills to a minimum than squeeze that extra little ounce of speed out of them. When saying that, I was told "you think like that because you own your own horses!". Heck, the attitude is just palm the vet bill off to the owners. LOL!

I know the trotters are a little different, they do need slightly longer toes... but I wouldn't call angles like they use in America balanced. I much prefer the Southern Hemisphere way of shoeing

triplev123
    Be that as it may, they look like they should look to me. Maybe I do have macular degeneration after all? (Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder etc)

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Have just received a call informing me that one of our mares is on the way the hospital, maiden mare due to foal now, foal presented backside first with both back legs in the forward direction.
    Cesarean section is most likely I have been told, how F..ing unlucky can I be.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    Have just received a call informing me that one of our mares is on the way the hospital, maiden mare due to foal now, foal presented backside first with both back legs in the forward direction.
    Hell justdoit, you're having a bad run. All the best.

Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Thanks Don,
    The mare is doing well after the Cesarean. 2011 Foal crop -1

triplev123
    [VVV] Geeze, thoughts are with your & your mare & foal mate. You're having a bloody tough start to the season. The buggers can make you pull your hair out, no risk about that. Keep your chin up.

Junior Member Yearling Nemera will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rena Johnsen
    Thanks Don,
    The mare is doing well after the Cesarean. 2011 Foal crop -1
    Glad to hear the mare is on the road to recovery, bad luck on the foal. The rest of the season can only improve from there. Backwards is so incredibly rare, you really did strike it unlucky. Best of luck for the rest of the season

Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Thank you all for your kind words.

+ Reply to Thread