Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bent legs

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)

Bent legs

Foals born with bent front legs, bent in><. We have 3 on the ground that are like this...
    I have been told to apply "double strength iodine" to the location of where the surgical
    solution would be made and keep them confined to a stall.

"double strength iodine" sounds a bit happy clapper to me.

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Sounds a similar principle to the barbaric and out dated practise of blistering soft tissue injuries. I doubt that it would be effective, most foals straighten on their own which would give believers claim to believe what they'd done was the cause when all it woulds do is cause a superficial tissue injury on the foal. There are plenty of experienced repro vets and farriers, particularly in the TB's these days. I'd suggest you call upon their services. The modern world means you can do so through technology no days if you are in an isolated area.

Do you have your mares on hilly ground by chance?

Flashing Red
    I have straightened many a foals legs with 10mL of cod liver oil daily (down their throat). Normally only takes 3-7 days and they straighten right up. This is taken from the natural horse guru Pat Coleby. It works a treat, well it has for me. She believes it is due to a vitamin A & D deficiency in the mare during pregnancy, hence cod liver oil will help as it rectifies this. She also gives cod liver oil to mares in foal to ensure their legs comes out straight....

Good luck

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    Foals born with bent front legs, bent in><. We have 3 on the ground that are like this...
    I have been told to apply "double strength iodine" to the location of where the surgical

Do you mean knees leaning backwards as is pushed back if so dont worry they'll straighten up
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Junior Member Yearling Nemera will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rena Johnsen

I'd guess it's the confinement & time that is working. Not sure how iodine applied to the skin is going to affect rate of growth at the growth plate.

valgus knees are normal for new born standardbred foals. If more extreme than usual then confine to prevent overloading of the growth plate(small yard rather than stable). Most improve rapidly over the first week or two. In most cases that is sufficient along with proper trimming over the following months. Foot build ups can be beneficial as well. If insufficient improvement then can look at surgical options but most do come right. I have seen some that are extreme at foaling go on to be unnoticeable by yearling sale time.

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Thanks guy's,

Dizzy, no hill's around here.
    Flashing Red, cod liver oil scares me more than the iodine.
    Greg Hando, they look knock kneed><.
    Nemera, I agree.

Flashing Red
    What scares you about it, I'm curious. Many people take cod liver oil daily?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Thanks guy's,

Dizzy, no hill's around here.
    Greg Hando, they look knock kneed><.
    Nemera, I agree.
    They'll straighten if not by about 4 week's get your vet to scrape the growth plate then they'll straighten up
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    JDT no hills likely rules out uterine distortion syndrome as a cause I think

Flashing Red possibly vitamin A overdose but as I'm not JDT I'm just guessing

Certainly anything from Pat Colby literature recommended on any equestrian forum these days would result in a "popcorn" topic.

Incidently without a "control" how do you know the foals that you treated with cod liver oil that straightened up wouldn't have anyway?

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    JDT no hills likely rules out uterine distortion syndrome as a cause I think

Flashing Red possibly vitamin A overdose but as I'm not JDT I'm just guessing

Certainly anything from Pat Colby literature recommended on any equestrian forum these days would result in a "popcorn" topic.

Incidently without a "control" how do you know the foals that you treated with cod liver oil that straightened up wouldn't have anyway?
    Firstly, I 100% trust what she says and couldn't care less what others think of her. I don’t have a lot of time for equestrian forums either, I don’t find them not nearly as knowledgeable as racing folk. Incidentally Pat Coleby’s detractors haven't achieved half of what she has done for animals in her lifetime. I don't always follow her religiously, but I find 9 times out of 10 what she says is true. Secondly, you are probably right in that most of these foals, their legs would have straightened eventually. However, I have had a number of breeders who have seen a lot more foals then me, remark how quick their legs straightened up with cod liver oil for 4-7 days. I do not think a foal would get a Vitamin A overdose is such a short space of time. In any event, Pat Coleby has admitted to helping a lot of foals over the years with this method. I have spoken to a number of times on the phone, she is a wealth of knowledge.

Flashing Red was in a clinic for 6-8 months, I can't remember exactly how long now. They tried everything at the clinic to beat the infection, when it seemed gone it would rear its ugly head again. I rang Pat Coleby up, took the horse out of the clinic and did exactly what she said. In 6 weeks that horse was cured. After 6 or so months, the clinic flew a team up to XRay his ankle, they couldn't believe the infection was gone. The joint was so good, if it weren’t for his age he could have raced again. It was no fluke, I have since cured other horses the same way who were otherwise going to be euthanised. I must admit I have refined what I do now after learning more in America on similar substances. I was fortunate to work with one of the best lameness vets over there. What struck me was his use of particular substances in similar ways to Pat Coleby. Besides being a vet, he was very much like her, just say a more modernised version! While I think Pat Coleby's work may be a little dated in some respects, it is a fantastic starting point and that is how I treat her work.

Sorry if I sound a little defensive, have regarded this lady as a personal friend, I am indebted to her for her help with my horses over the years (starting since I was 13). She had never led me astray. In my opinion, what is wrong with the horse world (equestrian and racing) is that people do not want to think outside the box. If it’s not in their text books, it must not be true. I find that the very best horsepeople that I have met in my travels do think outside the box; I would class her as one of them.
    I get off my soap box now. I am very passionate about this sort of stuff, sorry.
    Last edited by Flashing Red; 09-11-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread