Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bent legs

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Flashing Red,
    The foals are inside at night and in 6m by 6m yards during the day, they have the "double strength iodine" applied twice a week even though it sounds like a happy clapper remedy to me.
    10mls of cod liver oil daily will start tomorrow and I have the KNTKY team on the job, looking at what we have missed?feed wise.
    The foals are between 5 to 9 days old, is it still worth giving them the good oil? Knowing very little about this topic, and even though I refer to the treatments as
    happy clapper remedies, I will always try these things. Not doing so would be very ignorant and not providing7trying the best you can for your horses.
    Last edited by justdoit; 09-11-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: GO THE WALLABIES

triplev123
    G'day Justdoit,
    Without seeing the youngsters up close it's hard to say for sure what the problem might be & what can be done to fix it.
    We've had 2 foals in previous seasons that weren't so straight when they were born or became that way soon afterwards.
    One was an easy pick, it became bucked over at the knees because it had contracted tendons & a course of calcium blocker injections (which was just an old school antibiotic) set it straight in a short space of time.
    The other as it turned out was slightly off square all over, kind of like a table in a Pub that no matter which way you turn it...it will still wobble. I didn't pick this one, my brother did. He's got a very good eye & is exceptionally good at picking foals that are not quite right in their lower limb alignment goes, me..I'm not so good with them when they're that young, better when they're older but by that time it's often too late to do anything.
    That second foal that was off a bit all over straightened up after maybe 7-10-14 days of being boxed with the mare. By far and away the best initial treatement is to box them & restrict their movement. A great many lower limb issues will come right on their own within that space of time and at the outside 14 days or so. If they don't show improvement in that time then it's probably time to get hold of the Vet again and think about your next move.
    It might also be of some comfort to know that the time frame that you have in order to surgically intervene (strips etc) is relatively quite wide...it's not huge of course but it's a lot longer than many might think. It surprised me initially because I thought it was all but an immediate thing. I'd have to check with our Vet but from memory I think it's around 2-3 months. First off I'd try 7-10-14 days in a box 24/7, don't let them out and many of them will very quickly straighten up.
    I noticed significant improvement in one of ours after just 2-3 days. Hope that helps.

Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Thanks TripleV123,
    They have Valgus legs

triplev123
    They, as in all of them are the same? Geeze, that's extraordinary. You're dead unlucky there. I've confirmed this morning that the knees are somewhat less pressing than the hocks and that has to do with the timing of the growth plates closing over in relation to the rapid growth phase. My advice is that Hocks need to be looked at within 4 weeks, Knees can go out as far as 8-10-12 weeks depending on the individual. First things first though, box them all in order to restrict their movement. Even wandering in a yard can cause issues & if you've got a mare that continually walks around...we had one...it makes it worse still because the foal's always hurrying to keep up.

Banned Colt thesushitrain is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Unknown
    best of luck with them

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    JDT what was your vets opinion? Have you/your vet considered remedial farriery?

I'm not sure if it's appropriate in this case but would involve glue on extensions to the foals hooves to change the base of support, and may avoid the need for surgery.

I'm far from an expert on the topic but can ask my farrier who looks after many a bent legged TB foal each season if you like?

If you want some more insite google "dalric cuff"

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    G'day Justdoit,
    Without seeing the youngsters up close it's hard to say for sure what the problem might be & what can be done to fix it.
    We've had 2 foals in previous seasons that weren't so straight when they were born or became that way soon afterwards.
    One was an easy pick, it became bucked over at the knees because it had contracted tendons & a course of calcium blocker injections (which was just an old school antibiotic) set it straight in a short space of time.
    The other as it turned out was slightly off square all over, kind of like a table in a Pub that no matter which way you turn it...it will still wobble. I didn't pick this one, my brother did. He's got a very good eye & is exceptionally good at picking foals that are not quite right in their lower limb alignment goes, me..I'm not so good with them when they're that young, better when they're older but by that time it's often too late to do anything.
    That second foal that was off a bit all over straightened up after maybe 7-10-14 days of being boxed with the mare. By far and away the best initial treatement is to box them & restrict their movement. A great many lower limb issues will come right on their own within that space of time and at the outside 14 days or so. If they don't show improvement in that time then it's probably time to get hold of the Vet again and think about your next move.
    It might also be of some comfort to know that the time frame that you have in order to surgically intervene (strips etc) is relatively quite wide...it's not huge of course but it's a lot longer than many might think. It surprised me initially because I thought it was all but an immediate thing. I'd have to check with our Vet but from memory I think it's around 2-3 months. First off I'd try 7-10-14 days in a box 24/7, don't let them out and many of them will very quickly straighten up.
    I noticed significant improvement in one of ours after just 2-3 days. Hope that helps.
    Also a good thing for contracted tendon's is a product for pink eye in sheep and cattle called Engomyasin (excuse the spelling ) 10 ml's today then another 10 ml's 2 day's time and contracted tendon's gone do this in the first couple of day's after foal is born tried and proven numerous time's with full success
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
    Thanks TripleV123,
    They have Valgus legs

Avery leggy foal by the look's of it i wouldn't be overly worried at this stage but good to keep an eye on the proress
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Also a good thing for contracted tendon's is a product for pink eye in sheep and cattle called Engomyasin (excuse the spelling ) 10 ml's today then another 10 ml's 2 day's time and contracted tendon's gone do this in the first couple of day's after foal is born tried and proven numerous time's with full success

[VVV] G'day Greg,
    Just checked the records of such stuff that I keep here on my PC & we used Oxytetracycline, an old school antibitoic that according to our Vet is rarely used as a go to anymore... at least as far as fighting infection is concerned.
    What it apparently does in a large intravenous dose/doses is act as a calcium blocker which in turn allows the spasming tendons to relax. While sometimes it does takes more than 1 or 2 shots to get the desired effect it always works.
    I meant to add...kind of along the lines of the above not being made for the purpose but being very effective at fixing it, that there's a fair bit of treatement cross-over for many other animal drugs.
    There are supposed to be a couple of sheep wormers that are very effective in horses and significantly cheaper though I am not sure which one/s & I know that the Pig version of Regumate is not only better but it is cheaper too.
    Last edited by triplev123; 09-12-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Thanks guys,
    That is not my picture. Found it on the amishblog, the runners, jeans and jacket combo look familiar though.

+ Reply to Thread