Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Tree Sale Results

Flashing Red
    My very knowledgeble friend in the US said that whole family (Rocknroll Heaven) is small. Don't get me wrong, he is a huge fan of the horse. I am actually not really bothered with horse's heights as it is, especially if the family is of average or large size and said horse seems to be the only small one.

I am only asking because I would like to use him, but the mare we have pencilled in is also from a family of small horses. Built like a tank, but not tall. While I don't get caught up in sire sizes, I'm not out to intentionally breed a small one either, if that makes sense. People say size doesn't matter with racehorses, but I am yet to find someone that says that they are trying to breed a small horse. lol.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashing Red View Post
    My very knowledgeble friend in the US said that whole family (Rocknroll Heaven) is small. Don't get me wrong, he is a huge fan of the horse. I am actually not really bothered with horse's heights as it is, especially if the family is of average or large size and said horse seems to be the only small one.

I am only asking because I would like to use him, but the mare we have pencilled in is also from a family of small horses. Built like a tank, but not tall. While I don't get caught up in sire sizes, I'm not out to intentionally breed a small one either, if that makes sense. People say size doesn't matter with racehorses, but I am yet to find someone that says that they are trying to breed a small horse. lol.
    Also test trying ET with this mare with a young 16hh broodmare. Would love for the surrogate's size to rub off somehow! I have read some interesting articles on foal vs womb (ie mare) sizes....

triplev123
    Hey Flashing, there must be a kind of optical illusion aspect to it too...at least with me anyway. We've got two colts, both by the same sire, and if asked I would have said one was no risk a bit taller than the other but a couple of days ago we got their feet done & side by side they're pretty much identical height wise. At the wither & the rump they're line ball. The difference in them is their build. The one I thought was the shorter of the two is very solidly built & muscular while the one that I thought was taller is a bit more to the leaner, maybe just a touch longer side.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Also test trying ET with this mare with a young 16hh broodmare. Would love for the surrogate's size to rub off somehow! I have read some interesting articles on foal vs womb (ie mare) sizes....
    Flashing Red,
    Prof Angus McKinnon is among the world's leading authorities on equine reproduction. I once quizzed him on the impact that surrogate size has on the size of the resulting animal. His advice was that the size of the foal at birth is influenced by the size of the surrogate but in the end the foal will ultimately grow to the size that is determined by its genetics (given there are no nutritional issues)

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    Flashing Red,
    Prof Angus McKinnon is among the world's leading authorities on equine reproduction. I once quizzed him on the impact that surrogate size has on the size of the resulting animal. His advice was that the size of the foal at birth is influenced by the size of the surrogate but in the end the foal will ultimately grow to the size that is determined by its genetics (given there are no nutritional issues)
    The mare would be lucky to be 15hh! Surrogate would be over 16hh for sure. I think we'll go ahead with it anyway, like our little experiment. Thanks heaps for the info

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    Kathian Princess was a mare and i just rang a mate and he has $1k down in his book
    Hello Mango,

Thank you for the reply, it is appreciated.

I rang the owners of Kathian Princess ( Kath & Ian ) and the mare was sold in foal to Santanna Blue Chip and sold for the $ 1000. Not a good result for them, especially as this mares Art Major filly was accepted into the Premium Sale, but unfortunately withdrawn due to injury.

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    If people thought the Peppertree sale didn't bring good results it's worth a look at the results of the clearance sale at Spreydon Lodge last thursday there were bargains to be had there. Just off the topic the fastest at todays Ready To Run was 56.1 and there are still a couple to trial Wednesday.
    Hello Mango,

Due you have the website where I could see the entries and prices for the Spreydon Lodge Sale.

Regards,

LOC

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    The mare would be lucky to be 15hh! Surrogate would be over 16hh for sure. I think we'll go ahead with it anyway, like our little experiment. Thanks heaps for the info
    Why not !!!
    You will need your surrogate and donor mare's breeding cycles to be pretty much in sync to do the ET. With drugs like regumate, prostaglandin, chorulon, etc. that is possible to manipulate but the mares don't always react to the drugs according to the textbook. Generally the vet practices that perform have a paddock full of surrogate mares and just pick one who's cycle is closely aligned to that of the donor mare.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Of Courage View Post
    Hello Mango,

Due you have the website where I could see the entries and prices for the Spreydon Lodge Sale.

Regards,

LOC
    Hi Love Of Courage

Go to www.standardbred.co.nz and click on PGG Wrightson standardbred index and when the page come's up just click on past sale results. You will also see adverts for Ready To Run so if you click on that you will see there time trials they done in n.z yesty.

Banned Colt thesushitrain is on a distinguished road
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Don't bother trying with one recipient flash, go for numbers as eliteblood said

+ Reply to Thread