Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    WARNING- RANT COME WAFFLE FOLLOWING...

On the size thing Troops...taken in isolation IMO it's all such a subjective wank and I say this because I reckon there are so many variables beyond just that which a simple height measurement indicates.

Even then I'm also rather dubious about some of the stated sizes. You've only got to go through many of the sire guides and see how many of them are said to be 15.2/15.3. How many of you ever get in the yard and measure them? Does it matter anyway? I've looked at a heap of stallions over the years and I've never once done it. I just use the old peepers. Not a lot of science & certainty involved there admittedly.

For example, there's 16h & plain old hulking & there's 16h & powerful/athletic...and similarly at the other end of the scale there's 14.3h hands & solid/muscular & there's 14.3h & built like the bastard child of a greyhound that had stuck one into a pipecleaner...and of course in between there are all forms of variation on a theme.

Also, it seems that this discussion is virtually always based on the size of this stallion or that one but it seems nobody ever really talks of the size of their mares in relation to the stallion/s being discussed, this despite the mares playing at the very least an equally important role in the outcome.

Personally I don't like small mares & especially if they're small & also finely built &/or short coupled and unfortunately I've learnt the hard way there.
    On the other hand I don't mind smaller stallions but only if they're also powerfully built/solid with it and if they also had a very good length of stride. Similarly I don't mind big horses as long as they're not really heavy built/boned along with it & again just as long as they had a good length of stride relative to their size.
    Mares wise, I like the long barrelled mares, ones that look like they've got an extra set of ribs to most horses and I like to see a mare with the hindquarters of Florence Griffith-Joyner and the walk of one of the ladies that ply their trade nightly towards the Kings X tunnel end of William St. here in Sydney.

It's also the Gospel truth that there are a number of sires at stud in both AUS & NZ who's widely advertised size would bare little or no resemblance to reality should someone view them with the naked eye and those that stand them know this too btw. There are horses advertised to be 15.1 that are closer to 14.2/14.3 and there are horses advertised to be 16h that are significantly bigger than that, a couple that I know of are easy closing in on 16.3.

Don't believe the hype. Go look at them yourself if you can or if not then take the advice of someone you can rely on to see them in much the same way as you do.
    Kings Cross tunnel end of William St eh.Must remember that.

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Hate to drag you away from such an interesting discussion but I would like to know if there are any recollections about Lot 64 at the sale, filly by CUF from Vizzaro. She looked a good sort in her photo.

triplev123
    She was a good type from the pics I saw. Her dam was a good cut of a thing too, big thumping Artsplace mare she was.
    She sold at one of those Alabar Broodmare Sales if I recall correctly or it could have been at the sale GB & Co. held at Kevin Risely's place. Brain dead this morning.

Junior Member Foal ringin will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by strong persuader View Post
    Hate to drag you away from such an interesting discussion but I would like to know if there are any recollections about Lot 64 at the sale, filly by CUF from Vizzaro. She looked a good sort in her photo.
    was a very nice sort SP

forget the size of the horse, rocknroll heaven was a better race horse then many bigger then him and he'll throw that in his progeny whether they are big or small

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Cheers Mango,

A lot of mares selling in foal for well below the stallion service fee.

I have the full results for the Pepper Tree Sale if anyone needs any prices.

Regards,

LOC

Banned Gelding Termite will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Hello LOC, Scoots away price please.

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by Termite View Post
    Hello LOC, Scoots away price please.
    Hello Termite,

$ 30,000

Regards,

LOC

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Quote Originally Posted by strong persuader View Post
    She sold for $20k to one of Fitzy's clients.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    She was a good type from the pics I saw. Her dam was a good cut of a thing too, big thumping Artsplace mare she was.
    She sold at one of those Alabar Broodmare Sales if I recall correctly or it could have been at the sale GB & Co. held at Kevin Risely's place. Brain dead this morning.
    She sold at the Lemon Tree clearnace sale in March 2010 for $30k in foal to CUF. The sale was conducted before a GB & CO broodmare sale.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Of Courage View Post
    Hello Termite,

$ 30,000

Regards,

LOC
    Hi LOC

$30K is right but she was actually passed in for $22k and then sold after some discussion.

+ Reply to Thread