Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
I guess we could tell them that they are missing out on an opportunity to progress their industry by making the horses wear jockeys colours rather then those of the owners / trainers.
I am surprised that a smart man like Peter Vlandys hasn't already woken to such a great idea.

Dot, you will of course know who this star galloper is by merely looking at the horse. The general public (including people in the street that have never been to the races) will also know her because they recognise the colours.
Trevor hows our industry going in the Illawarra/Shoalhaven now? How many trainers/horses left? Parking buses on the Bulli track now aren’t they? Have done for at least a few years now. There’s no comparison between our industry and the gallops, they are progressing, we’re not. Perhaps that’s shielded for you in NSW ( but not in the Illawarra) with Dumesny riding V’Landys coat tails on improvements such as race fields legislation and tax parity. Time to take the rose, or should I say, salmon, coloured glasses off and look more broadly at the facts and figures of our industry across the country, the KPIs if you will, not just back at history. Here’s just one for you, WA trotting held over 50% of market share 50 odd years ago when the WATAB was created, now, on the eve of its sale, around 13% of market share. Harold Park is gone, there’s no reason the whole industry will not in time follow suit unless we make ourselves more relevant in today’s sporting and wagering landscape.

I don’t know how many times this needs to be said, no one has said every horse has to wear driver colours all the time. That trainer/owner colours can no longer be used, or that champions cannot have their own unique silks created for them which in time can be immortalised in history. Just that increasing use of driver colours and and creating brands around drivers can better promote and market our sport and connect with people in this era and marketplace.

Of course horsemen or women can recognise Black Caviar for herself. Race fans likely will remember her colours, some of the public may too, but in all likelihood over time all many of the public will remember will be her name, and perhaps her incredible record as undefeated moreso then they will remember her colours.

But let’s go back to your previous example, Lonrho did begin his career in black silks before going onto race in Inghams more famous all cerise in which he is now remembered. Many horses in both codes have begun their career with different trainers and colours before going on to be remembered as champions for another trainer and in different colours. How would it be any different in history, if a future champion in our code commenced his or her career in driver colours before switching colours, as their star ascended, to the colours of their trainer or owner or indeed to colours uniquely their own.