Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Drivers' Colours or Not?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Great pictures and posts Noel and Trevor. It's a pity my reply to Dot's mind reading prowess might mean the thread page is turned.

I'm loathe to admit you can still make me laugh but I'm not laughing with you Dot.

You've introduced a different topic on the back of something I've said. I'll take this one as a compliment. On that, your new topic, I'm glad you can see sense within answering yourself.

Since you've introduced it, I'll add my thoughts (hoping I know my thoughts better than you lol). You're half right, I wouldn't want us to go to only pro's. But the reason being the opportunity for cartels, or the perception of, has never been a good thing, regardless of industry. In that regard, yep that fear goes back to the days when Ian McEwen was Chair and has been documented.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    On the back of posts 59 & 61, you've evoked a brilliant idea from me Dot. I guess I don't really need to post as you'd already know it.

How about a media person who works for TAB use his influence. When a non pro driver is up, TAB should offer another 5 points. No risk for TAB is there? I reckon that would increase turnover more than driver colours. I'm definite it would.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    Who can name these horses ?

How many of the stars do you think you would be able to name if the colours were removed from the image? The horses colours IMO become an integral part of the horse.
    Those of use old enough can instantly recognise Gammalite with his yellow colours and black sash. If Brian Hancock had been wearing his own orange and black checks, I wonder how many people would have known who the horse was?
    I am all for promoting our drivers and feel that a lot more could be done to utilise the star appeal of the Chris Alfords, the Kerryn Mannings, the Natalie Rasmussens, etc. but I don't think them wearing a consistent set of colours is an overall benefit to the industry.
    The champion horses are the real stars of the sport, those that the public identify with and get excited about. We should make it easier for this to happen by making them as identifiable as possible.
    I would be surprised if drivers racing in their own colours increased betting turnover by 0.1%
    The sooner this idea is discarded the better.
    Our Sir Vancelot, Hondo Grafton, Blacks a Fake, Popular Alm, all of these without the colours, but I musnt be old enough because I didn’t recognise Gammalite with or without the colours. Brian did wear his black and orange checks on Our Sir Vancelot which certainly didn’t seem to stop people recognising him, though Brian would have driven how many horses out of Teeny Lodge over the years in those colours?

Lazarus raced downunder in both the All Stars colours and the Lone Star colours, I don’t think anyone had any difficulty recognising it was Lazarus. He raced in the green chevrons of Yannick Gingras in North America which can only have helped make him recognisable to them, the All Star or Lone Star colours would have meant nothing to them.

Don’t thing anyone who from downunder watching Lazarus race in NA would have struggled to recognise Lazarus, geared up in black with a subtle touch of Takter green with Gingras in the bike in his own colours. Nor anyone with more then a passing interest in NA harness racing struggle to recognise another champion in McWicked in those same races, decked out in the blue and yellow equipment of Cassie Coleman, driven by Brian Sears in white colours. Two champion horses, Lazarus and Mcwicked, two champion drivers, Gingras and Sears, the green hornet and the white knight, all recognisable to their fans and a promoters dream.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    How disappointing would it be to see this great horse in anything but his famous cerise colours?
    Who would be putting their hand up to tell Jack and Bob Ingham that a decision had been made that their horses would no longer be wearing these colours because we think people would bet more if the jockey wore his own colours instead.
    Octagonal or Lonrho? It is Lonrho, and I certainly wasn’t disappointed to watch him race in black colours as a 2 and 3 year old.

But what do gallops have to do with driver colours ? 90 second minimum lead in time, often more, guaranteed full screen on Sky 1 $100m in prizemoney for the Melbourne Spring Carnival, about a $100m more in Sydney. What do we have in this space? Think the only thing we’ll be telling the gallops is bye bye when we’re gone.
    Last edited by Dot; 07-17-2019 at 03:03 AM.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    You have convinced me Trevor. Champions come to be identified with a set of colours.
    Champions have more jockey changes (even if it is just the odd one) than owner or trainer changes so let's not fiddle with things for a 'it might ...'
    It is Lonrho in the picture and he raced in black for Inghams as well, I know you like documents but I don’t know how to post them here, so please check your email.

Took me a while to remember but it was Viscount, the Inghams more favoured colt who raced in the all cerise colours as a 2 and 3 year old not Lonrho. Got squeezed out of a cox plate finish by Champions Sunline and Northerly. I’ll send you that too. Guess it means there’s no problem with champions changing their colours mid career.
    Last edited by Dot; 07-17-2019 at 03:11 AM.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    Just noticed Trevor's posts as I was penning a post. Just two words, totally agree. How far would driver colours take us, I was going to say in my original post, would be lucky if it took us to the next tram stop. A geographic change but no real change to the situation.

My post in reply to yesterday:-

I only used AFL and the bont as an example as I follow the bulldogs. In the AFLW I like Erin Phillips but wouldn’t have a clue of either player’s number. On the need for numbers, AFL, you have 36 contestants versus 10 harness racers. Harness racing doesn’t have scrums and scrimmages. Well, we try not to.

I may have been brief in some of what I posted, rather than cryptic., I was up watching Roger and Novak. I didn’t post until later in the morning, I was going to delete and not bother as I envisaged your attack Dot and your inability to rationally accept people can have differing views.

I’ve given my thoughts, didn’t argue or attack yours. I was being positive in looking at promoting drivers, irrespective of colours and as I suggested on Breeders Crown day.

To clarify some insiders, not all as you’ve twisted it around to. And for that matter I don’t appreciate someone trying to misrepresent me or use me as their springboard. I wouldn’t even say you’ve been shrewd in your methods, not even cunning. A transparent and poor, attempt to redress when queried by the moderator. You’re losing credibility by the minute Dot.

There was no notion of corruption when I penned that, although I could have written some people within the sport which includes owners as well as media. However, I didn’t think the way I expressed suggested in any way anything corrupt. A person Interpreting it in that way could indicate that person believes or has knowledge of that sort of thing going on.
    I may have written in the way I did, brevity, as Roger might have had three match points at that stage.

Now that you can pat yourself on the back with your attempt to denounce and misrepresent me once again, I will elaborate.

Some owners will support a driver’s pursuit as she/he is already their preferred driver and by not supporting them, she or he might jump off and on to another horse. Similarly, and nothing corrupt, some media. Like most things, there's lobbying, nothing corrupt but it's often wise to look a bit deeper into why people/s support.

Yep, I realise the VRT comes in August 1 and yes restraint of trade, for a driver who also trains still going to VCAT if they’re put out for a serious training offence. Not sure the Act has the power to disqualify both licences i.e. no restraint of trade VCAT merit applications. Even if the VRT does/can disqualify, as opposed to a suspension of just one licence and it goes no further, great, but that still doesn’t do anything to change my position on driver colours.

I gave a couple of examples of younger media personalities with a profile not in support of driver colours. One comes from within the industry and one who has come from outside.

Making a reference to Kati’s post 44, some more wise heads have also suggested driver colours are way down the list of things to worry about, if at all.
    No Wayne no attempts to denounce or misrepresent you, I merely frequently do not understand some, or most, of what you have written. There is much once again I do not understand from what you have written in this post. Far too cryptic again rather then plain English to me. Our intellects are clearly not on the same page.......
    Last edited by Dot; 07-17-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptor View Post
    Blue with yellow panel = -------

Green with yellow stars = ------ ----

Two great horses that raced solely in their trainers colours
    Sorry Noel I’ve no idea who the “blue with yellow panel” is. The green with yellow stars is Maoris Idol but I know that from the appearance of the horse. If your question had been what colours did Maoris Idol race in, my answer would have been I’ve no idea.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post

But what do gallops have to do with driver colours ? 90 second minimum lead in time, often more, guaranteed full screen on Sky 1 $100m in prizemoney for the Melbourne Spring Carnival, about a $100m more in Sydney. What do we have in this space? Think the only thing we’ll be telling the gallops is bye bye when we’re gone.
    I guess we could tell them that they are missing out on an opportunity to progress their industry by making the horses wear jockeys colours rather then those of the owners / trainers.
    I am surprised (not) that a smart man like Peter Vlandys hasn't already woken to such a great idea.

Dot, you will of course know who this star galloper is by merely looking at the horse. The general public (including people in the street that have never been to the races) will also know her because they recognise the colours.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by eliteblood; 07-17-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    No Wayne no attempts to denounce or misrepresent you, I merely frequently do not understand some, or most, of what you have written. There is much once again I do not understand from what you have written in this post. Far too cryptic again rather then plain English to me. Our intellects are clearly not on the same page.......
    I understand this post Dot - accidentally on purpose scattering the chess pieces.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Sorry Noel I’ve no idea who the “blue with yellow panel” is. The green with yellow stars is Maoris Idol but I know that from the appearance of the horse. If your question had been what colours did Maoris Idol race in, my answer would have been I’ve no idea.
    Hi Dot
    It's Adaptor !!!!! Check out the 1969 Miracle Mile film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj2XaRPn-8w

Closed Thread