Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: We need to do something about Trainers on charges winning races

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

We need to do something about Trainers on charges winning races

Having trainers facing charges continuing to win races not only undermines integrity but leads to the disillusionment of honest trainers

I suggest that the controlling bodies withhold the trainer's % of prizemoney won between the time they are charged and the time of their hearing

I am still debating with myself but thinking they should then forfeit that money if found guilty
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Either that or stand them down until charges are heard.
    The integrity of the industry should come first. There are plenty of examples of professions where people are stood down without pay until they are cleared of charges.
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Rick, every time we try that, they seem to get it overturned
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    If we had a decent racing minister they could get laws changed so people charged with race fixing could be suspended until cleared in court.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Maybe rather then change the laws we need to change the structure and laws we operate under. Can we make trainers and drivers employees if the governing body pays the drivers fees and trainers a starters fee? And include a clause in the employment contract that they will be stood down if they face serious charges in the industry and dismissed if they are charged with a criminal offence?

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Interesting twist Dot but I would further tweek that to contractors or else we get into compulsory super etc etc but of course keeping your stand down clause in the contracts

Then again this may not be anymore successful than the present license and rules situation in regards to stays/appeals
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-21-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    I did mean as contractors Kev, (is there any other kind of employees these days?) Drivers do get superannuation already now I think, so why not trainers, and wouldn’t it be deducted from the trainers starter fee, not additional to it?

Moving to the track and training centre model for “young” trainers as more affordable also removes the way in which many trainers have made money and/or funded their retirement in the past through capital gains on the property they have bought to train on.

Just throwing it out there, one for the experts to look into, doing nothing will certainly be no more effective then what happens now.

+ Reply to Thread