Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 87.50%
  • No

2 12.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you think HRV should be trying to return to the Showgrounds?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Goodbye
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly hugdon will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jim Nelson
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    have bought into a Lincoln Royal filly
    A sad outcome and retort

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Hmm. Seems the CGI trot races in the TAB's might be the future for punting on the trots. No need to breed, own, train and drive horses, or feed, care or clean up after them. Just put on your baggiest trakky daks and a pair of unmatched thongs and off to the pub for a great night of equine sport!

Seriously, though, there is little of the Showgrounds left to redevelop into anything the size of a trotting track. The last RASV "masterplan" basically resulted in a smaller sized venue with many historic pavilions demolished and replaced by temporary structures. Missed opportunities in the 1970's to (a) redevelop the Showgrounds; and (b) develop Keysbourough as it was intended have cost the industry dearly in Victoria. Imagine what Keysborough would be valued at now if it where up for sale? Imagine what you could do with the money it would bring if you were to bankroll a new complex at, say (heaven forbid), Melton?

At least the Showgrounds is well served by public transport, with scheduled trams and buses to the gates. And its own train station. Will it ever happen?

I fear not. I must wash my best old trakky daks so I can fit in with the crowd.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Not very gracious of me l know Jim
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Showgrounds, I don't think those people wash their tracky dacks too often ! You can throw away your deodorant as well.
    Only a matter of time until those animated races are shown on Sky and the real trots get bumped to Sky2.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Showgrounds, I don't think those people wash their tracky dacks too often ! You can throw away your deodorant as well.
    Only a matter of time until those animated races are shown on Sky and the real trots get bumped to Sky2.
    I forgot to mention the collar and tie! I'd still present better than most, despite the bum crack and some of last week's soup being on show. I have my dignity!

And the pungent aroma of Lynx Africa will mask the B.O. (we, almost!).

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    For anybody that believes the Showgrounds is an opportunity that must be investigated, here is a proforma that Ray Chaplin knocked together for people to copy and paste:

Dear Mr Monteith,
    As the leader of the harness racing industry in Victoria we are reliant upon your best efforts to ensure
    the future viability of our sport
    In this regard we would ask that you and your Board undertake to endeavour to work with the Victorian Government
    to relocate harness racings showcase venue (currently at Melton) back to the Melbourne showgrounds precinct in order to reposition the Harness Racing Brand
    as an exciting, first class, easily accessible value for money entertainment experience
    It would be appreciated if you would confirm your commitment to this goal via HRV media and keep the industry updated in regards progress
    Thank you
    xxxxxxx

Mr Monteith's email is

dmonteith@harnees.org.au
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread