Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: HRNSW/NSWHRC- nice work fellas

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbon of Light View Post
    Loved the way the photo finishes came down on the steel cord in the little carrier.
    Yes , those were the days. Remember how we used to think that was really "high tech".

triplev123
    I started going to...or rather I started being taken to Harness Racing meetings around 1971-1972. I was 3 or 4 years of age. My earliest memory of Harness Racing is not of Harold Park though, it is of Menangle. Back then you used to be able to drive pretty much right up to the side of the track and just park your car. I'd get out and go sit on the bonnet all day and watch the races. To have seen it all those years ago and to go out there today and see what it has become...it never ceases to be an uplifting experience.

Junior Member Weanling Ribbon of Light will become famous soon enough Ribbon of Light's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark Darragh
    Horses
    Coco Lombo Pretty Little Lucy Filly foal
    OZ High tech all right.
    What about the old tote board,try to read that in a hurry.
    Were you there the night Cocky Raider beat Lucky Creed to break his winning sequence.
    What I really enjoyed was Ray Conroy's calling,he was terrific.
    Speaking of race calling, one of the worst calls I can remember was the Miracle Mile in either 1989 or 1990.
    Both won by Westburn Grant.
    The one I'm referring to is when Almeta Boy ran second, it was at Harold Park.
    Almeta Boy run was a super effort,missed the start hopelessly and was off the track from about the 600,the time was also fantastic.
    Was storming home at the end,the caller Ray Hadley seemed to miss the enormity of the run.
    It's a replay worth watching.
    He was driven by Steven Dove.

Junior Member Weanling Ribbon of Light will become famous soon enough Ribbon of Light's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark Darragh
    Horses
    Coco Lombo Pretty Little Lucy Filly foal
    VVV Lovely memories.
    I can remember going there in the 60's for night meetings.
    I started to go to HP as a teenager, Ross Chisolm had his horses stabled in my street in Haberfield.
    He had some good ones in those days,Sureproof and Sure Great to mention a couple.

Member Yearling bbd will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Colin Douglass
    That race where Cocky Raider beat Lucky Creed is possibly the best race I have ever seen.
    I was standing right on the finishing post in that old wooden grandstand.
    Another great thing about those times and something I think they should do now. Straight after the race they would put the photo finish in a glass case just outside (I think) the stewards room so everyone could see it.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    OZ High tech all right.
    What about the old tote board,try to read that in a hurry.
    Were you there the night Cocky Raider beat Lucky Creed to break his winning sequence.
    What I really enjoyed was Ray Conroy's calling,he was terrific.
    Speaking of race calling, one of the worst calls I can remember was the Miracle Mile in either 1989 or 1990.
    Both won by Westburn Grant.
    The one I'm referring to is when Almeta Boy ran second, it was at Harold Park.
    Almeta Boy run was a super effort,missed the start hopelessly and was off the track from about the 600,the time was also fantastic.
    Was storming home at the end,the caller Ray Hadley seemed to miss the enormity of the run.
    It's a replay worth watching.
    He was driven by Steven Dove.
    "Ray Hadley" , gggrrr!!! , don't get me started. Yes , Ray Conroy a legendary caller and a great bloke too. Dad was a good friend and we often met up with him for a chat at HP in between calls. Talk about a passion for harness racing. I will never forget him , he had a big influence on a lot of young harness fans like me. A brilliant , accurate caller.

Member Gelding Mister JayKO will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stu Black
    What about the lad that used to do the phantom calls of miracle miles past down near the big screen in the old betting ring at Harold Park.
    Last edited by Mister JayKO; 09-15-2011 at 08:45 PM.

triplev123
    Bolts most certainly did not cover himself in glory that night. Good bloke though, he's a local here. Solid as. L-O-V-E-S- a punt too. Years ago, and I'm talking 20 years or somewhere there, back when we were all much younger and all used to live elsewhere, Bolts used to haunt our local TAB along with Rabs, Sterlo and assorted others. Those blokes loved to have a bet. It was a great TAB, verging on a spiritual place. It was right next door to a Bottle Shop and then next door down from there was a really good Hamburger shop. Someone would back a winner and they'd shout beers and burgers. The bloke who used to run the TAB at the time was a bit of an arsehole but he was happy for the business and so he used to look the other way.I shudder to think how much $$$ I put through there prior to meeting Mrs. Triple and having my wicked ways curtailed.

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister JayKO View Post
    What about the lad that used to the phantom calls of miracle miles past down near the big screen in the old betting ring at Harold Park.
    [VVV] Geeze....I remember him. He was an absolute STAR! One night Golden Alley would skip clear. Another night it would be the great Halwes and Newman. He was terrific.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Oz, I remember when that use to happen.
    Did you ever hear the fellow broadcast the trots at the winning post below the old grandstand.
    Gee that grandstand wall was hot on a summers night,faced directly west.
    This area was near the old bell lap indicator.
    Loved the way the photo finishes came down on the steel cord in the little carrier.
    Loved a lot of this about Harold Park,except for the Millers beer,it was flamin' awful in the plastic cups.
    Use to give me a headache the next day.
    Them were the days lol.
    I am enjoying hearing of everyone's fond memories. It sounds like Harold Park was a great place back in those days.

+ Reply to Thread