Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: One of the worst things Ive seen on a harness racing track EVER!!!!

Junior Member Foal The Money Tree will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown

One of the worst things Ive seen on a harness racing track EVER!!!!

Everyone have a look at R7 Menangle 20.09.11 especially the stewards.
    A little bit of background first Franco Torres backed from 2.80 to 1.50 fixed odds.
    Stablemate Our Amazing Art in the "race".
    Top of the straight Pizzuto (OAA) pulls out and he starts whipping the horse in his normal manner no problem here.
    150m out our mate Kev looks across at the horse he is about to beat and realises it is the heavily backed stablemate.
    Problem starts now.
    He does not touch his horse again and Franco Torres kicks back and wins.
    I have seen some bad things at the trots but none worse than this.
    If he doesnt get life for his drive the stewards should all give it up.
    We should all give it up.
    He has blatantly right under the stewards and the punters noses pulled this horse up.
    There are no excuses, reasons or explanations for this drive.
    LIFE

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Our Amazing Art has been stood down, stewards are looking at betting activity.

triplev123
    Choreography to rival that of Race 1 on July 30th at Bankstown. An absolute SHOCKER!

Member Gelding The Rainmaker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Eric Strong
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    Choreography to rival that of Race 1 on July 30th at Bankstown. An absolute SHOCKER!
    This is taken from last Tuesday's stewards report at Menangle, where Pizzuto had both Franco Torres and Our Amazing Art in the same race just like today:

Stewards questioned the driving tactics of K Pizzuto on OUR AMAZING ART NZ in that after the horse was caught racing in a one wide position approaching the 2000 metre mark OUR AMAZING ART NZ was reined up and challenged FLYING HIGH NZ for the lead until gaining the lead approaching the 1800 metre mark. Then approximately at the 1700 metre mark OUR AMAZING ART NZ steadied and took cover when FRANCO TORRES NZ moved forward to the outside of that runner. When questioned K Pizzuto stated that OUR AMAZING ART NZ failed to race best when caught without cover and it has been his intention when placed in that position to move forward to gain the lead and when challenged after gaining that spot he elected to take cover. After racing in the position behind the leader OUR AMAZING ART NZ gained a clear run approaching the 300 metre mark and eventually finished in third place being beaten some 5 metres. Stewards accepted driver K Pizzuto's explanation but advised him they expected that OUR AMAZING ART NZ will be driven in a consistent manner in future and failure to do so could result in a breach of the Rules.

So he handed up to the stablemate last week, even though Franco Torres galloped out on that occasion, and then proceeded to walk in front and got fined for slow sectionals, now he is up to similar tricks today. You would be spewing if you backed Our Amazing Art. Question is why didn't the stipes take appropriate action last week and rubbed Pizzuto out for a questionable drive, and this issue could have been avoided today. He has made an absoulte fool out of them.

triplev123
    I was just going to reference that particular race Rainmaker & you beat me to the punch. Last week's choreography was different to today (The Foxtrot as opposed to The Tango) but IMO, it was just as bad.

triplev123
    The funniest part about that effort...if there is anything that could be said to be funny about it...is that was arguably old mate's best drive in God only knows how long and has he ended up badly stiffing the horse. Up until the final 16th of the mile he looked like G. Sugars or Dexter...and then, in the space three or four strides, he turned into a sack of Spuds.

Member Gelding The Rainmaker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Eric Strong
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    Last week's choreography was different to today (The Foxtrot as opposed to The Tango) but IMO, it was just as bad.
    Exactly right. Any seasoned punter or harness follower who seen that race last week knew exactly what was going on, although not quite as obvious as today. I wonder had Encore Maestro not spoiled the party and Franco Torres and Our Amazing Art ran 1/2 then if Pizzuto would have perhaps got more than a repremand forr his drive?

Today's incident (and last weeks to a lesser degree) is the last thing HRNSW want when punter confidence is already shot after the bribed stewards scandal. I bet the stipes take appropriate action this week to make an example out of Pizzuto after they were proven wrong by giving him the benefit of the doubt after last weeks drive.

I also wonder what this issue will do to the credibility of the state's top driver in relation to being affiliated with such stables who partake in questionable tactics.
    Last edited by The Rainmaker; 09-20-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling

triplev123
    QUOTE [I also wonder what this issue will do to the credibility of the state's top driver in relation to being affiliated with such stables who partake in questionable tactics.] END QUOTE.

[VVV] Probably not a whole lot more than he has already achieved on his own in recent times. I think Old Mate should've received an Oscar Nomination for Best Supporting Actor in that Bankstown charade.

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    I was at the pub watching this with a few non punting people. We just happened to watch the race and one of the blokes turned to me and said, "Why did he stop hitting that horse when it was going to win?"
    Great look.

Junior Member Weanling Shawshank Redemption will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
    I was at the pub watching this with a few non punting people. We just happened to watch the race and one of the blokes turned to me and said, "Why did he stop hitting that horse when it was going to win?"
    Great look.
    Spot on with this one Gtrain.

Dont mind if the driver varies his tactics to try and win the race, all fine with me !

Team driving -throw the book at them ! If turnover is the lifeblood of racing and stewards dont stamp this rubbish out then watch harness racing slowly die !

Used to love to bet on the harness until a few too many of these things happened, so now bet mostly on the gallops. Not to say that it doesn't happen but stewards seem to police it better. I remember this below !

In the 1987 AJC Derby in Sydney, Shane Dye, leading on outsider Imprimatur, veered off the fence on the home turn, hampering other horses and allowing stablemate and favourite Myocard to nip through on the rails and win. Dye was suspended for six months for improper riding.

Closed Thread