Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stewards Merge

Senior Member 2YO doinmabest has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Fred Hastings

Stewards Merge

Wednesday 21 September, 2011
    Thoroughbred and Harness Racing Stewards to Combine
    The NSW Minister for Racing, George Souris, today announced that the stewards’ operations overseeing thoroughbred and harness racing in the State will be combined, under the auspices of Racing NSW.
    The decision to combine the stewards’ functions was agreed to by the boards of both Racing NSW and Harness Racing NSW at the request of Mr Souris.
    "I asked both Boards to agree to the move to ensure and protect the integrity of racing in this State, especially after the recent allegations of corruption in the harness racing industry," Mr Souris said.
    "The Racing NSW stewards’ panel is internationally renowned for excellence in its operation and management and is well placed to apply world’s best practice to the NSW harness racing industry".
    "While the finer details are yet to be announced, one panel of stewards will be responsible for both thoroughbred and harness racing".
    Mr Souris said a senior person responsible for integrity management and anti-corruption programs would head the stewards’ panel.
    "I believe this will help ensure the integrity of the both codes and raise the confidence in harness racing to the same level as thoroughbred racing.
    "Racing in NSW is a multi- billion dollar industry and is far too important to the State’s economy to have any section of it under a cloud of suspicion".
    Mr Souris said this was a clear indication of the determination of the NSW Government and those involved in both racing codes to ensure public confidence.
    "The public and all the other stakeholders must have total confidence in the honesty of the racing industry, know that it is being conducted properly and that all stakeholders can be certain that every race is run and won on its merits and without interference".
    CEO of Racing NSW, Peter V’landys, said his Board was pleased to assist the Minister in his proactive strategy to restore confidence to the NSW harness racing industry.
    "We compliment the Minister in acting swiftly and decisively," he added.
    Chairman of Harness Racing NSW, Graeme Campbell, said the Board of Harness Racing NSW fully supported the Minister’s initiative to restore the integrity of the sport and would meet very soon with Racing NSW to finalise arrangements.
    Mr Souris has supported the appointment the Harness Racing NSW Board of a three man panel to conduct the inquiries relating to the current corruption investigation.
    "This creates a necessary arm’s length overview of the current investigation and this action, together with the integration of the stewards signals a level of confidence in harness racing in NSW".

triplev123
    There you go. I was told this was deader than Caesar. A bigger comeback than Lazarus. Outsourcing the Stewards eh? Just as long as they don't come from a Call Centre in Mumbai I guess I can live with it. Nice earner for Peter's Crew too and a foot in the door for GHRRA Mk 2 or a RQLD come RWWA conglomerate.. The initial mail was right on the money. Such is life.

Junior Member Yearling coldshot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rebecca Taylor
    Occupation
    Teacher/Admin
    In other words 'they' don't have confidence in our industry to be able to sort itself out and go forwards. The people who through their greed and corruption have put harness in such a diabolical position politically and in the eyes of the public should be deeply deeply ashamed. I shall try to look to the bright side and hope that the merger will work and deliver what it is supposed to however it galls that we now have a gelded controlling body.

triplev123
    Apparently, not so Coldshot. More twists and turns than a roller coaster.
    I think this is going to become pretty messy. I got on the phone to a couple of mates of mine who haunt the hallowed halls of Maquarie St. (I'm actually having coffee with one of them next Wednesday so I'll know a lot more about what has been going on then) and they tell me that PV has apparently been doing the rounds and making 'less than complimentary' remarks about Sam, HRNSW & its Board.
    Further to this, they both said they felt press release had well & truly jumped the gun as the truth of the matter is that all HRNSW has done is agree to look at the proposal.
    The way the release is written it is all silent, all done and that is not the case. Look for a response some time today. A number of people are not at all happy.
    This is a Gaming & Racing Department backed PV play for control of the Industry. The GHRRA debacle gave them a black eye and ever since they've been waiting to pounce from the bushes on the side of the road.

Real Name
    Rebecca Taylor
    Occupation
    Teacher/Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    I think this is going to become pretty messy. I got on the phone to a couple of mates of mine who haunt the hallowed halls of Maquarie St. (I'm actually having coffee with one of them next Wednesday so I'll know a lot more about what has been going on then) and they tell me that PV has apparently been doing the rounds and making 'less than complimentary' remarks about Sam, HRNSW & its Board.
    Why do things always revert to this? Also whomever the SMH spoke to from the gallops bucketed harness and RNSW Chairman didn't come across as being particularly enthusiastic either. I guess I'll just shut up, try to remain optimistic and wait to see how this all pans out.

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by coldshot View Post
    Why do things always revert to this? Also whomever the SMH spoke to from the gallops bucketed harness and RNSW Chairman didn't come across as being particularly enthusiastic either. I guess I'll just shut up, try to remain optimistic and wait to see how this all pans out.
    [VVV] That's a very good question.
    I know Peter has a long held desire to head up another RWWA style set-up here in NSW and that it goes right back to when he first left HP for Racing NSW...so it is nothing new from him in that regard.
    Of course, the opportunity of heading up/providing the Stewards for all 3 codes is quite clearly a significant step towards that goal and given what has happened in recent time 'never waste a good crisis' is, I think, the basic thought process occuring at this juncture.
    As it was related to me, the criticism of Sam was from the same old angle that a number of his detractors have always rather scurriously run with behind his back...that 'he is/was a Punter' or words to that effect...as though being a Punter was something to be frowned upon and that maybe with the tacit inference that there was somehow some lack of clarity of thought involved because of it etc etc etc. I think that's very poor form and it could not be further from the truth.
    That being said, I don't believe that Peter bares any of those at HRNSW or the Board or anyone else anywhere else any personal ill will as such, in fact when the TAB agreement was hammered out, without Peter's efforts Harness Racing in this State would have gotten a significantly lesser deal than we ultimately did. He is truly an incredible performer as far as such things are concerned.
    Rather, I just think that this whole thing is both political and somewhat Empire building in nature. Given the recent disgraces, and let's face it, they have been terrible, Peter's eyes have lit up as he has seen an opportunity to fulfill one of his goals. If the Industry wishes it to be otherwise then they need to make their voices heard too.

Real Name
    Rebecca Taylor
    Occupation
    Teacher/Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    [VVV]
    Rather, I just think that this whole thing is both political and somewhat Empire building in nature.
    PV is a good operator - streets ahead of the rest in the game. If he can make this thing work and fulfill his (IMO misguided) goal, he will look like Alexander the Great. Call me cynical but racing and politics being what they are, I am expecting Demis Roussos.

triplev123
    I believe what we have here is the dove-tailing of two very long held Empire building desires...that of forces within the Gaming & Racing Department to again exercise sole and total control over every single aspect of Racing in NSW..the TB's, Harness & the Dogs, and then that of Peter's to head up the significant expansion of bureaucracy that would need to be created in order to do so. Post the collapse of the Gaming & Racing Department inspired & backed shambles that was the GHRRA...it burned certain persons within the Gaming & Racing Department further still that their favoured candidate did not get the guernsey back when Sam was put in charge of HRNSW and I very strongly suspect that they've been awaiting a chance, any chance, to kick their chair out from under him ever since. Recent happenings appear to have handed them that chance. I'll know a fair bit more about what is going on by next Wednesday afternoon so, barring further news, I've leave this one drop until then.
    I meant to add...Ministers and Governments will come and go but the Sir Humphrey's in the Department will go on forever. They bullshitted profusely to the series of Ministers under the previous Labor Government and they will of course again bullshit profusely to the encumbent Liberal man & those who follow. It is, unfortunately, the nature of the Beast. The only upside I can see is that they are at least equal opportunity bullshitters.
    Last edited by triplev123; 09-22-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: terrible spelling + the last four sentences.

triplev123

Everything old is new again- The rise of the Sir Humprehy's?

Btw...happy to be corrected on this, but I am pretty certain the current Gaming & Minister was occupying the same portfolio back when the late and rather infamous Barry Rose, a dyed in the wool Gaming & Racing Department Lacky, was sitting in the big chair at the (back then) NSW Harness Racing Authority.
    I am a staunch Liberal Party supporter, have been all my eligible to vote life, so I've no axe to grind with Mr. Souris...rather like so many others here in NSW, I am greatly relieved that his Party is in office.
    Nevertheless, one is left to ponder, after the passing of all those years, and if it was in fact him that previously held the Gaming & Racing portfolio when Barry Rose ran roughshod over everyone & everything that he disagred with...is he (The Mininster) currently being 'handled' by those within his Department for a 2nd time?

Should I now attempt to sing a few bars of 'Everything old is new again' or maybe just hum?

+ Reply to Thread