Roll With Joe

View Poll Results: Would You Leave If We Required Real Names?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 13.04%
  • No

20 86.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Asking For Opinions on Negative Discussion

Administrator 3YO admin will become famous soon enough admin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward

Asking For Opinions on Negative Discussion

I understand many of you are not happy with the state of racing especially in Australia at the moment, but honestly we were hoping this forum would become more than a place to vent. Almost daily we receive calls and emails from various parties, often with accompanying legal threats, and if it does come to it we will simply have to shut down as currently the forum is free and not ad supported so there's not much business incentive there.

Even when I edit a name somebody names personally with an accompanying taunt for that person to sue, I get "don't you dare edit this admin", so it's becoming impossible to keep everyone happy.

I'm not sure what the best course of action is from here. In a perfect world I'd allow anybody to say what they liked, but internet being what it is, and racing being what that is it wouldn't take long for everything to fall apart. Easiest course of action for Harnesslink would be to simply not allow any talk of suspension, rule breaking etc. In my opinion this wouldn't make us any better than industry bodies (who I won't name) that don't mention the "dark side" of racing, and want to pretend all is well.

I'm going to repost this in the help/announcements section, and I'd appreciate some feedback. Last time I checked internet law in NZ (where Harnesslink is based) is pretty outdated, meaning that Harnesslink, as hosts, are somewhat legally responsible for your comments. And imo staying out of a court room on your behalf trumps my inclination toward free speech, so something has to change.

I understand many of you are censoring your real opinions on this type of stuff somewhat which I appreciate, but it's not enough at the moment and as the forum grows it gets harder and harder to oversee. If we can't find another way we will need to instigate a hush hush rule where cheating etc isn't allowed to be discussed. I understand most of you won't like this, and you're free to leave, though we'd appreciate you staying and continuing to discuss the overwhelmingly positive aspects of the sport.

Options from here, feel free to suggest your own:

1) Shut forum down - not preferred

2) Ban any negative stuff

3) Private members only forum for negative stuff. This wouldn't really solve the problem, but it would reduce complaints somewhat.

4) Bring more moderators on. This is a little tricky because we have consistency issues, and we would still be editing a lot of posts and threads, which members don't take kindly to. It's also a lot of work.
    Please read the rules before posting.

Harnesslink Marketing Manager

aussiebreno
    Members probably shouldn't be putting admin in the position of editing posts. A lot of immature posting and keyboard warrior posting is happening. We probably don't need/want these posters so if they complain when there posts are edited tough titties imo. On the occasion a respected poster needs a post edited I believe they will be mature enough to handle it. (I haven't actually taken notice of the editing but have seen things that should/could get edited and probably do after I've seen them)

For every poster that whinges about the editing there would be at least 5 who are right behind you Admin.

I don't think we should ban negative stuff. There have been quite a few threads that have run their course without modification (I could be wrong here because I don't really see what you do behind the scenes). I can see from your point of view as the guy doing all the work you may want this though.

Shut forum down......where else would I waste away my life????

Banned 2YO ringman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses
    Well im one of the culprits and in future i will tone down what i post as its not the way this forum should be heading.as for the best thing to do it could be a warning system. 1st time a warning, 2nd time a weeks ban from the forum, and 3rd time a 12 month ban.
    Then if the person comes back and continues ban for life.

The ban should only be for threats or fowl language directed at a person
    Last edited by ringman; 09-21-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: add last line

Junior Member Weanling Shawshank Redemption will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Hello Admin,

Agree with your decision regarding locking the thread, it was obvious that things were going downhill fast !

Love Harnesslink with all the great stories and have found the forums very educational and informative for the most part.

Understand that for business reasons a few ads to help fund would be okay and not objectionable to that.

Would appreciate the chance to post questions to harness officials such as what were their thoughts on incidents in races such as the locked thread, to have questions answered in a sensible format. Give people the chance to raise concerns and have them addressed.

Keep up the good work !

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Admin,
    You have the power and should use it in any way you see fit.
    Ringman has a good idea there, set some rule as far as naming people goes and if broken give us the punishment
    If posters complain well they came go else where, all the good people on here at the moment will continue to post.

aussiebreno
    Thing with banning posters is aliases.

Banned 2YO ringman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Thing with banning posters is aliases.
    Im sure in admin tools they have a way to ban the ISP

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by ringman View Post
    Im sure in admin tools they have a way to ban the ISP
    Yeah hope so; but on 3 other forums I frequent (one footy related; one gym related and one thoroughbred racing related FYI) they either don't have it or don't utilise it.

Flashing Red
    I'm a moderator of another very large racing forum.

We have a rule that if it won't pass a Disney movie then don't say it. People can vent but they have to be diplomatic. I don't expect it to be that strict on here.

We also issue forum bans for 2 weeks etc depending on infraction - so temporary bans. I'll leave this decision up to you guys. I don't feel negative stuff should be banned (but I must admit that negative stuff on here lately has got me down) and admin you're not covering HarnessLink's butt re defamation with a private forum.

That only leaves closing the forum or more moderators.

Perhaps another option is having to post with your real name, not non de plume. It's amazing how much things clear up when people use their real name. The keyboard ninjas disappear...

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    If we cannot discuss a poor drive, this cannot be a racing forum. There obviously has to be limits and I believe there is no need for profanities on here at all. Threats are also a no no. But to discuss merits of a drive/race, when approached in a proper manner surely can be included in general discussion. I would never say anything on here that I wouldnt say to my mates or around the pub etc and I generally enjoy hearing the range of opinions offered here. The short bans idea sounds good.

+ Reply to Thread