Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pizzuto suspended

Junior Member Foal Karloo Krew will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Mickey Young

Pizzuto suspended

Some might be interested to know that Kevin Pizzuto has today been suspended for 12 months for THAT drive on Our Amazing Art at Menangle on 20 September

Full decision is here (courtesy of harness.org.au)

Stewards today concluded the inquiry into the driving tactics adopted by Mr Kevin Pizzuto in relation to his drive on Our Amazing Art (NZ) at the Menangle harness meeting on 20 September 2011.

Mr Pizzuto was found guilty under rule 147, where a driver fails to drive a horse on its merits and has had his licence to drive in races suspended for a period of twelve (12) months.

Mr Pizzuto was also charged under Rule 149 (1) for failing to give his horse every opportunity over the concluding stages of the race to which he pleaded not guilty. Mr Pizzuto was found guilty of the charge and had his licence to drive in races suspended for a period of six (6) months.

Stewards further directed that both penalties be served concurrently and further advised Mr Pizzuto of his rights of appeal.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Good news and congratulations to the stewards for this decision.

Does that mean that he still continues to train in the very industry that he has now been banned from driving in?? It's not a good look to anyone looking on from outside the industry.
    Last edited by David Summers; 09-28-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Flashing Red
    I know my opinion will be unpopular, but I think 12 months is a pretty harsh penalty. I understand the uproar with this race and wholeheartedly support the stewards in their endeavor to enforce the rules, but here is my .02c....

While it would have "looked" better if Mr Pizzutto had rein driven his charge after he put the whip away, I am of the opinion that even if he kept whipping the horse he would have still finished second. I hadn't watched the race when the last thread on here went wild, but I have since watched it and I think no matter what he did, the horse would have run second anyway.

Just my view, I'm sure most will disagree.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashing Red View Post
    I know my opinion will be unpopular, but I think 12 months is a pretty harsh penalty. I understand the uproar with this race and wholeheartedly support the stewards in their endeavor to enforce the rules, but here is my .02c....

While it would have "looked" better if Mr Pizzutto had rein driven his charge after he put the whip away, I am of the opinion that even if he kept whipping the horse he would have still finished second. I hadn't watched the race when the last thread on here went wild, but I have since watched it and I think no matter what he did, the horse would have run second anyway.

Thats opinion. Horse wasn't driven out despite having a chance.

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Count me among the majority. For mine, the ceasing of urging followed by the look over the right shoulder spoke volumes about what place Mr Pizzuto was content to finish in.

Flashing Red
    Brenno.... I don't think so?

Rule 156(f)
    "a horse shall not be whipped after it has passed the winning post at the finish of a race, its run is finished, or if it cannot maintain or improve its position in the race."

We both know that on a daily basis drivers have stopped driving out their horses, even in close finishes, because they aren't going to improve their position. I think the difference here is that the finish was between two stablemates. You never know what is going through any driver's mind during a race, but I honestly do feel there is a plausible argument here that the horse was not driven out because it couldn't have won anyway. Infact it is a bet hate of mine when drivers continue to whip their horses when they can't improve their position.

I know my view won't be popular, but I have tried to back up my view with a regulation.

aussiebreno
    Brenno.... I don't think so?

Rule 156(f)
    "a horse shall not be whipped after it has passed the winning post at the finish of a race, its run is finished, or if it cannot maintain or improve its position in the race."

We both know that on a daily basis drivers have stopped driving out their horses, even in close finishes, because they aren't going to improve their position. I think the difference here is that the finish was between two stablemates. You never know what is going through any driver's mind during a race, but I honestly do feel there is a plausible argument here that the horse was not driven out because it couldn't have won anyway. Infact it is a bet hate of mine when drivers continue to whip their horses when they can't improve their position.

I know my view won't be popular, but I have tried to back up my view with a regulation.
    Yeah but its your/anyones opinion as to whether he would have maintained or improved the horses position. It's run hadn't finished imo and of many on here. That rules a bit of a nuffy rule given the conjecture and shades of grey. At the end of the day we will never know because it wasn't driven out.
    That rule is there to stop the abuse of a horse that has clearly lost the race; not as a loophole for actions like Pizzutos.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot head View Post
    totally agree F RED the penalty is way to harsh.I have watched the reply a number of times and in my opinion Our Amazing Art was never going to beat the winner.Mr Pizzuto should appeal the decision.I have seen worse drives, watch replays at menangle on tuesday there was an absolute shocker nothin said as it was a high profile trainer/driver.
    Mr Pizzuto you keep training those winners.
    New poster. 2 posts both on the Pizzuto case in support of him (not that there is anything wrong with supporting him). No need to tell him on the forum to keep training the winners just tell him next you see him. Were you on the stablemate? How much you win?

Junior Member Foal carrot head will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    lucy owen
    Occupation
    solicitor
    Admin if your'e going to delete half of my thread you may as well delete the lot.The best parts were taken out THANKS FOR NOTHING.
    Last edited by carrot head; 09-29-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    carrot head your profile says that you are a "solicitor". Touting for new business here perhaps?

Also I trust that in your business letters that you have a grammar and spell checker in use.

+ Reply to Thread