Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mercury 80, new sprint series !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I reckon you would be right Dan so that is 30 seconds we have given Sky doggies - actually make it 40 secs as times are much faster nowadays
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Well I have to say that the first heat was a sensational win for Liftntorque to come from last the way he did
    With them only coming home in 28.2 & 28 made it possible but to come 4wd like that was spectacular especially in comparison to the soft runs the Gath place-getters had

I wonder whether Greg Sugars will be questioned about his long looks behind and decision to leave the sprint lane to the stablemate. Sure, it could be said that going to the outside of the leader was perfectly acceptable (no waiting) but the long looks 'looked bad' IMO and using the sprint lane would have stitched up an opponent - even if it was a stablemate

I doubt he expected Liftntorque to get over them both but he would not have been really surprised as he was favourite because he was the class horse of the race
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Seems NYE is a good night to have trots and a party. I doubt that the sprint races attracted any extra people .
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It may have attracted a few Rick, as it was the only Metro class race on the program.
    I just had to admit that to my surprise it was a good viewing race

I don't know whether I am surprised or not surprised that Greg Sugars rubber-necking did not rate a mention in the Stewards Report
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Well the Final is tonight
    Always Fast off the pole has potentially ruined things
    Remembering that this is supposed to be about speed, I am not sure if there is enough incentive for him to go fast
    It is $28,500 for 1st
    I would have liked the incentives to double that although they have been clever in paying half the $20k incentive to the trainer and driver ($5k & $5k)
    ($5k to the driver is the BIG incentive IMO)

At present Fourbigmen's gross time of 82.1 is taking the $20k bonus
    If tonight's winner betters that - the $20k is theirs
    There is not much incentive for Chris Alford to go fast on 4big tonight as he already has his deposit slip for $5k filled out ready for banking on Tuesday

There is another $8k of bonuses if they can break 80 secs
    This is where they could have been much more generous - maybe in future years if it catches the public's imagination
    I have not seen any of the the 1200m races - I hope the big screen is a time clock to hype it up for the crowd
    Not that there have been many 1200m races but at present Coastal's 80.6 is the fastest ever (nearly 9yrs ago)

Overall I think it would have been a much bigger deal over a distance as close to a mile as they can get and for it to be all about the MR (1200m doesn't mean much to the harness world)

Edit - just watched the heats and it is hard to see how the Fav can be beaten, his stablemate Liftntorque could finish over the top of him if ridiculous pressure was put on the Fav in the lead (but he handled plenty of pressure in his heat) and who is going to put that amount of pressure on him - not his stablemates who are 2nd and 3rd faves
    Last edited by Messenger; 01-25-2020 at 07:58 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Kima steals the $5k driver's bonus from Chris Alford (& Jackie Barker who drove Always Fast at his last 2 wins) as the time was 81.5

The exacta paid a sensational $28.30 (I know the pools are small but still)

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...20#MXM25012004
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread