Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Best Horsemen of All Time

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

The Best Horsemen of All Time

A poster sent me the attached list from the daily blog Harness Racing Update and although it is American you will find a couple of non Americans

Who would you like to add? They do not necessarily have to replace any of the attached but DO tell us their outstanding credentials

Please note that 'Horsemen' applies to both sexes for it is the root of the word 'horsemanship' which is also gender non-specific.
    Attached Files
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    The late Dick Osborn from the Hunter Valley NSW needed to lift his cap to nobody, a genius trainer and he had no peer as a driver, Dick won the Hunter Valley Trainers and Drivers premierships 17 years in succession. On his visits to Sydney he always made an impact but never really having any superstars in his stable, perhaps Bold Be Be was one of his best though quite late in Dicks training career. I'm certain few of the current contributors have ever heard of Dick Osborn, after all he started driving in the 1940's and was still winning premierships in the eighties.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks, we do now Dan
    Do a search for 'Dick Osborn Harness Racing' and you will find several obituaries from when he passed away 6yrs ago
    I like this one from the Queensland Times, a sign of the esteem in which the New South Welshman was held

https://www.qt.com.au/news/osborn-wa...acing/2048762/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Thanks, we do now Dan
    Do a search for 'Dick Osborn Harness Racing' and you will find several obituaries from when he passed away 6yrs ago
    I like this one from the Queensland Times, a sign of the esteem in which the New South Welshman was held

https://www.qt.com.au/news/osborn-wa...acing/2048762/
    Well found Kev,

Dick sorted out the "weaver" Major Craig by putting a mirror in his box, instead of weaving and walking all day he just stood there looking at the horse in the mirror!

Another one, a fella delivers a horse for Dick to train, saying the horse has a bad habit of kicking everything in sight while eating and can't be cured of it, Dick says "i'll fix that in two seconds" puts the horse in a small paddock with one tree in the middle and ties the horse's feed bin to the tree! Problem fixed!

cheers,
    Dan

Member Yearling Halwes will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry (Tezza) Meehan
    Occupation
    Total Dreamer
    If Kevin Newman was the best, he trained and drove the best pacer of all time.. Halwes (of course)

+ Reply to Thread