Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tontine Stawell Monday Jan 27

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Tontine Stawell Monday Jan 27

I was looking at the nominations for the Tontine at Stawell on Monday and noticed that at the top of the rankings 3yo Silent Major only had a NR of 55 while the Race is classed as 56-71

Surely he does not get a start before all the 56-71 nominees? If he does - what is the point of stating a bottom range number?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I was looking at the nominations for the Tontine at Stawell on Monday and noticed that at the top of the rankings 3yo Silent Major only had a NR of 55 while the Race is classed as 56-71

Surely he does not get a start before all the 56-71 nominees? If he does - what is the point of stating a bottom range number?
    Manual field selection which for these type of races I have no problem with. (Until they make a dud choice). I'll take a star on the rise in a feature race rather than a middling 56 rater. You could always race out of your grade under the Class system.

Having a base is important because it means a 40 rater isn't guaranteed to draw one under PBD/NR. Despite being a 40 rater it is a 56 rater for the purposes of the draw.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yeah, I saw it was manual field selection so it was not a good example for my question really
    If it was not manual field selection, is a 55 rater only considered IF there are not enough 56-71 noms?

ps A bit of history on the Tontine

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...er-at-stawell/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Don't forget these two $25k races are on this afternoon

3.43 & 5.03

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...20#SWC27012008
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The winner of the trot was having his first start in Oz
    He hadn’t won for over 2 years but 5 starts back he ran 2nd to Oscar Bonavena
    Paid $5.90

Arya’s half bro
    Last edited by Messenger; 01-27-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    They all made Zoliver (Poster Boy's little half bro) work in the pacers and consequently Keayang Blinky notched up a Tk Rec of 1.56.8

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...20#SWC27012001

ps In reference to post 1 - Silent Major wilted big time
    Last edited by Messenger; 01-27-2020 at 08:28 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    There was an excellent crowd at this public holiday meeting - putting outside dining tables under the verandah along the home straight, really works at Stawell

It did however reinforce for me that most of the people here are not students of the trots (they come to the 'event') for at least half the crowd had gone home before the R8 (of 9 races) feature at 5.03 on warm sunny afternoon

Well done club and I must say that it was one of the few times where I have thought the music provided was appreciated by many (so well done to the duo too)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread