Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many Harness tracks have you been to?

Member Yearling jsday will become famous soon enough jsday's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    sales

How many Harness tracks have you been to?

Hoosierpark (former home track)
    Indiana Downs
    Scioto (former home track)
    Raceway
    Lebanon
    Northfield
    Balmoral (former home track
    Maywood (former home track)
    Hawthorne
    Windsor
    Jackson
    Red Mile
    Running Aces (unfortunately current home track)
    Meadows

Also i have been to almost every single Ohio fair circuit track that is parimutuals.

aussiebreno
    Wagga
    Leeton
    Junee
    Coolamon
    West Wyalong
    Cootamunda
    Albury
    Temora
    Bathurst
    Cobram
    Kilmore
    Moonee Valley
    Melton
    Menangle
    Last edited by aussiebreno; 12-12-2010 at 06:06 PM.

triplev123
    NSW-Menangle, Harold Park, Bathurst, Newcastle, Bulli, Fairfield, Penrith, Bankstown, Tamworth, Leeton, Blayney, Dubbo, Orange, Parkes, Lithgow, Young, Goulburn, Maitland.
    VIC-Moonee Valley, Shepparton, Kilmore, Geelong, Terang, Cranbourne.
    TAS-Launceston, Hobart (old & new), Carrick, Burnie, Devonport, Scottsdale.
    QLD-Albion Park, Gold Coast, Redcliffe, Rocklea.
    WA- Gloucester Park.

This brings back a lot of memories.
    First went to the races at about or 4 or maybe 5 years of age.
    First track was the OLD Menangle circuit. It took about 2 hours to get there by car back then. Now it takes about 35-40 mins tops.
    The huge Rooster tails of dust that used to get kicked up out there during the summer stay with me to this day. As a kid I thought it was terrific but in hindsight it must have been absolute Hell for man and beast if they found themselves back in the field. I also vividly remember one day out there in the Winter and it got so cold that in an act of what was no doubt sheer desperation some of the more rustic trackside patrons viciously turned on an innocent wooden garden bench, broke it up, tossed it into a 44 gallon drum posing as a rubbish bin and then set it on fire so they could stand around the blaze and keep warm.
    These days they'd probably have been branded vandals. Back then though they were thought to be something along the lines of what we'd now refer to as 'pro-active'. The choice was simple, it was either them or the garden bench.
    Looking back at all those tracks also makes me think of how many luke warm beers, cans of coke, dreadful deep over-salted fried things and soggy bleached stark white bread sandwiches containing incinerated meat of dubious origins that I have eaten over the years. When my time comes, if anything is put down as being the root cause of my ultimate demise... I have little doubt that it will be the nutritional bounty that is to be found trackside at any Harness Racing meeting.
    Last edited by triplev123; 12-12-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    sales
    right on guys...i would love to do the down under circuit......You should try the fair circuit in ohio....its the best

Super Moderator Colt Neil will become famous soon enough Neil's Avatar
    Real Name
    Neil Bennett
    Occupation
    Engineer
    I wanted to go to The Meadowlands but will it still be racing when I get to New York in July this year?

I must sit down and work on my list includes a track on Vancouver Island but too long ago to remember the name

Member Filly Allan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Allan Schott

One of My Favorite Questions

This list includes tracks no longer operating. I will break it down into wagering and non-wagering tracks, but they all offered purse races.

Parimutuel Tracks
    NY - Saratoga Harness, Monticello Raceway, Yonkers Raceway, Roosevelt Raceway
    NJ - Meadowlands, Freehold Raceway, Garden State Park
    PA - Pocono Downs, Liberty Bell Park
    DE - Dover Downs, Brandywine Raceway
    FL - Pompano Park
    KY - The Red Mile, Louisville Downs
    OH - Northfield Park

Nonwagering Tracks
    NY - Historic Track (Goshen) - also there for the NYSS Trottingbred races, Ballston Spa
    NJ - Showplace Farms, Gaitway Farms, Willow Brook Farms (Tinton Falls), Capital Hill Fams (Englishtown), Egyptian Acres (New Egypt), Johnson Park (Piscataway), Flemington Fairgrounds (Flemington), Scenic View (Clarksburg) These were back when they had the NJSS Fair Division and the Garden State Stakes.
    Last edited by Allan; 12-13-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added another track
    Interested in Harness Racing? Read View From the Racetrack Grandstand

triplev123
    I've always wanted to go to Goshen for Historic week and to visit the Hall of Fame.
    The Scottsdale meeting in Tasmania is something similar in terms of being a once a year thing. The track is small, tight and narrow, I think it's 4 of 5 across maximum and ALL standing starts because a mobile barrier would be too wide, it would hit the outside fence and hang over into the crowd by 3 or 4 feet. When the water truck comes around to dampen down the surface it oversprays about 10ft or so into the crowd on the outside fence and when the horses race they'll kick up dirt/gravel into your face as they go past, that's how close you are to the action. Before they replaced it, after a race you used to be able to tell who went the absolute widest on the home turn because they'd come back with bits of greenery from the outside fence (a hedge) stuck in the gear/in the crevices of the bike. Madness but a terrific spectacle...and most notably of all it was the one place where they actually had really good trackside food.

Member Yearling bbd will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Colin Douglass
    NSW-Menangle, Harold Park, Bathurst, Newcastle, Bulli, Fairfield, Penrith, Bankstown, Dubbo, Maitland.
    VIC-Moonee Valley, Melton, Geelong, Terang, Bendigo
    SA - Globe Derby Park
    WA- Gloucester Park.
    NZ - Alexandra Park

best atmosphere - bendigo on Breeders crown day & Menangle when Blackie won the interdom.
    best pies - bathurst - no where else comes even close
    best facilities - Gloucester park
    worst of almost everything - alexandra park NZ

Real Name
    Unknown
    Occupation
    sales
    Fair Circuit. WAGERING ALLOWED.
    Lima, Oh (awesome oval they score 8 wide) 2 day meet. the first meet day. There are more people and wagering than almost any other fair exluding Delaware.
    Wapokenata.Oh They serve beer, need i say more?
    Greenville Oh. If you dont know about the marshall partial memorial, lol you dont know about harness.
    Oak Harbor Oh Huge tree on the far turn. very much a spectacle
    Circleville Oh.
    Paulding Oh.
    Bowling Green.
    Marion
    Waseon
    Bucyrus.
    Wilmington
    Cadiz.....drove 2 and a half hours for 8 races with 5 horse fields...lol
    Bellefountaine
    Tiffin.
    Findley (unfortunately i went to this thinking that it was a parimutuals and it wasnt so I left and went the Fort Wayne In OTB....lol)
    Lancaster (last Oh fair of the year always on my birthday i go every year. You can go up to the top of a mountain and look right down on the track.)
    London (one of the best for betting)
    Marysville
    Sidney (used to be good)
    Xenia (home of chip noble)
    Urbana (awesome)
    Celina (awesome)
    Hicksville (not the greatest)
    Upper Sandusky (pretty good short fields not the best for betting)
    Delaware (Home of the LBJ...you aussies should know mr feel good)

I have been to most all of the these fairs numerous times and if you get to know the same horses there is quite of money to be made.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by bbd View Post
    NSW-Menangle, Harold Park, Bathurst, Newcastle, Bulli, Fairfield, Penrith, Bankstown, Dubbo, Maitland.
    VIC-Moonee Valley, Melton, Geelong, Terang, Bendigo
    SA - Globe Derby Park
    WA- Gloucester Park.
    NZ - Alexandra Park

best atmosphere - bendigo on Breeders crown day & Menangle when Blackie won the interdom.
    best pies - bathurst - no where else comes even close
    best facilities - Gloucester park
    worst of almost everything - alexandra park NZ
    Blackie winning the inter at Menangle was absolutely unreal. Was just as good as the atmoshpere at Carlton V Sydney final this year - if not better.

+ Reply to Thread