Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cranbourne Cup - dissapointed :(

Senior Member Colt Phoenix will become famous soon enough Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Panos Kambas

Cranbourne Cup - dissapointed :(

Very dissapointed with Luke's decision not to come out with Mr Feelgood when he clearly knew that the runs were coming in the three wide line. No wonder he got suspended. I didn't have any bets riding in the race because I like to watch quality horses go around and don't have to have money invested.

That said, the sit sprint of Imthemightyquinn was very impressive... but was expected with Lance calling the shots from the death.

Makes next week's Vic Cup very interesting indeed.....

nat
    Im Themightyquinn is a more polished horse this year he's done the hard yards at home the better the field the more devastating his sprint will become if driven similarly but he has a lot more hardness than you think its just better if he is used as a sit sprinter at this level especially with stayers like Smoken Up, Blacks A Fake, Washakie and Melpark Major around

I was a little puzzeled by Mr Feelgoods drive and felt for Cincinnati Kid getting caught trapped on the rail and shunted back to near on last from a good draw anyother time he would had been on the back of BAF or Smoken Up

Member Yearling bbd will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Colin Douglass
    ITMQ went very well, won well and to a degree was very impressive but... he did nothing in the run to show he is a better or tougher horse than any of the others. All the hard yards were done by Melpark Major and Smoken Up. ITMQ just sat there and sprinted for 200 mtrs.
    The best run in the race was Villagem. Last or near last for most of the way, he made up many many lengths in a 27sec final quarter. Any luck at all with the draw or in running and he'll kill them in the Vic. Cup

triplev123
    Technically I can see why Luke got time but I think it was a bit harsh as I can fully understand his actions too. Mister Feelgood's successes in their stable have come as a result of spacing his outings and generally looking after him, something that they've repeatedly said in the Industry media when asked.
    Horses that are like that are invariably going to be somewhat inconsistent over the longer term because they'll always balance on a bit of knife edge racing readiness wise, either side of which is either short of a run or over-done.
    For mine, the horse wasn't travelling that well with a lap to go and I think that Luke has realised he was not as sharp as he has been recently and so took the chance of a serve from the Stewards, & possibly getting some time, by sitting him in. The horse also threw a plate heading for home & put in a few rough ones. Horses are not machines. This is flesh and blood we're talking about here....some days are diamonds, some days are stone.

Senior Member Colt Phoenix will become famous soon enough Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Panos Kambas
    triplev123, you are right when you say that Mr Feelgood's successes has some from his runs getting spaced. This is how he was fresh to win the QPC even though it was the longer distance - and Luke said it himself.. that he deliberately missed the Gold Coast Cup the week before in order to concentrate on the QPC. This begs the question: Why did Mr Feelgood get entered in the Cranbourne Cup which was a week before the Vic Cup (worth $400k+) but missed the Gold Coast Cup to be fresh for the QPC (worth $200k). I must say that I was surprised that Mr Feelgood was in the Cranbourne Cup field especially knowing Luke's thinking of the horse...

and bbd, yes.. Villagem is a superstar.... and I agree that he's a big chance this Saturday night.

+ Reply to Thread