Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 Racing

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    I haven't been to Mildura for nearly 36 years, having been a Cup regular for the previous decade. My wife has never been there so I booked in nice and early last month for the week. My wife started holidays last Monday knowing we wouldn't be going to the races. Since then, I have been advised I am in the "high risk" category (due to a recent hospital stay and chemotherapy) and to stay home. I can handle that.

This afternoon I rang our hotel in Mildura to cancel and the reception pre-empted the nature of my call. She said she had worked there for 15 years and had never made more cancellations than she had the past fortnight. Shortly after, I found out the three race meetings scheduled there next week have been "postponed". The economic impact to the town must be immense. We have already made a decision to spend a week there in September.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You might be high risk Trev but I hope you are in good health
    In some ways the postponement of their cup may be a good thing (if they get to run it eventually) as I cannot see how running races with no crowds can help a town very much (or a club when they are paying out big prizemoney in the current times)
    I live in a tourist town which is pretty much closed up and empty but I somehow suspect we are going to see the holiday houses full at Easter - I hope I am wrong because we really do not want the locals mixing with out of towners in the little supermarket which is pretty much the only thing still open
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly thepacingman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stephen Walsh
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Wow. Are these panic nominations in a similar vein to panic buying toilet paper! Full fields and 8 races!!!
    Not really a surprise. Trainers probably realised they will not have to spend however long fighting their way through the traffic like would normally happen.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes

Victoria to adopt regional racing model from Thursday

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...from-thursday/

The new racing model will see Victoria divided into six regions, with meetings conducted at nine tracks – Inner West (Melton and Ballarat), West (Terang and Stawell), East (Kilmore and Cranbourne), North West (Mildura), Central (Bendigo) and North East (Shepparton).

To see who is in what region

https://www.thetrots.com.au/racing/region-based-racing/
    Last edited by Messenger; 03-30-2020 at 11:52 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It will affect drivers most of all
    Chris Alford does not list an address nowadays - what region will he be in?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    It will affect drivers most of all
    Chris Alford does not list an address nowadays - what region will he be in?
    Pretty sure Chris would be this Kev -
    LGA: Macedon Ranges Shire Council
    Region: East
    Track/s: Cranbourne - Kilmore

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    So our leading driver will not be allowed to drive at Melton. I wonder whether they will do the right thing and spread the prizemoney around the regions
    Interesting, when I checked the Top 20 lists to see if Chris was still leading driver, I noted that number 2 Greg Sugars is listed as SA
    I will provide the link but sometimes they only take you to the home page

http://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/r...ins?d=30032020
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Pretty sure no Melton meetings, at least no metro. I'd say they have a gazillion things to work through, pat on back for them, doing a great job by the second and pretty well 24/7. Would have to look at my phone but I think I've received info updates via sms at 8 -9 o'clock at night.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    So if one region shuts due to infection can horses be transferred to other trainers in the regions that are still racing ?
    With high infection rates and close proximity to Melbourne I think Cranbourne and Melton should have been avoided and not used. Drastic action will prolong the racing window.
    They should stick to tracks with open stable areas. Strange that Maryborough has been left out.
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Just a thought, no more. Chris might appreciate a lighter load, not racing around at all hours all over the state.

+ Reply to Thread