Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Victoria - VRI gives green light to Saturday morning trots

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes

Victoria - VRI gives green light to Saturday morning trots

From next Saturday, April 18, Harness Racing Victoria (HRV) will look to program Saturday morning trots meets.

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...morning-trots/

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It may get a bit more exposure and also tap into USA Friday night slot but it is not a timeslot I myself would be viewing in
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly hugdon will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jim Nelson
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    have bought into a Lincoln Royal filly
    This could be a winner Kev, get some Melbourne based celebrity (Molly would be good) off to the trots in the morning and the footy in the afternoon Would imao make for a good day especially if the mighty West Coast Eagles were in Melbourne playing and winning as often happens of late (winking emoji)

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by hugdon View Post
    This could be a winner Kev, get some Melbourne based celebrity (Molly would be good) off to the trots in the morning and the footy in the afternoon Would imao make for a good day especially if the mighty West Coast Eagles were in Melbourne playing and winning as often happens of late (winking emoji)
    Ben Cousins and Willie Rioli fit right in with a few trainers too!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    If this time slot works the gallops and dogs will just move in and take it over !
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am curious as to whether people think it will work
    Why would it be better than Saturday night - following the racing. Saturday evening being an entertainment timeslot
    Are we just hoping for Friday night USA money?

I once enjoyed being the Chairman of selectors for a suburban football team, but it was a bit of a chore to regularly go and watch the U19's as well as the Reserves (12pm OK) and Seniors
    Saturday morning sport might be OK for school sport (something Private schools do in Melbourne) along with house auctions, shopping, getting ready for the footy but can this am. timeslot really become part of the sporting landscape in Australia and benefit harness racing?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    I don't think Saturday mornings are meant to replace Sat night metro racing. Will be additional to, if Sat mornings are successful they'll continue after covid with metro racing resuming Saturday nights.
    Would be looking to tap into New Zealand as well when they're racing again.
    My interpretation of the press release, "HRV will look to program Saturday morning …" is the VRI and TABCORP have granted from this Saturday but doesn't mean HRV will run one this Saturday. The only meeting programmed is still a night meeting on the 18th.
    The greyhounds have been running Saturday mornings for, maybe two or three years and I think they might be tier three, lower prize money, mainly heats. It wouldn't surprise if that's what HRV could be looking at, $4500 races for starters. Just like the first morning meeting last week.
    Digressing, I know the 5 day working week has changed a lot but if we did have Saturday non metro as well as Sundays we might get younger people taking up the sport. Could race your horse weekly without taking a day from your annual leave or dropping a day's pay.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yes, there is no way that they would be giving up Saturday night so it would be an extra.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I think the idea with Saturday mornings is to fill a spot in the Sky Racing schedule, there would be very little else to bet on that was Australian product and there would not be any need to shift it to Sky 2 if they are a fraction late. Also wouldn't have to hold for other races.
    I don't think they expect many people to turn up on track, they would mainly be aiming for a chance to get some extra turnover . The punting world is now a 24/7 thing, people are looking for something to bet on at all hours. Would also be a good idea to keep the breaks between races as short as possible so the punters don't lose attention.
    I think it's worth a try, I can't see any reason why the industry participants wouldn't get behind it.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Colt Yabbie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Carol Bass
    Occupation
    Paralegal
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    I think the idea with Saturday mornings is to fill a spot in the Sky Racing schedule, there would be very little else to bet on that was Australian product and there would not be any need to shift it to Sky 2 if they are a fraction late. Also wouldn't have to hold for other races.
    I don't think they expect many people to turn up on track, they would mainly be aiming for a chance to get some extra turnover . The punting world is now a 24/7 thing, people are looking for something to bet on at all hours. Would also be a good idea to keep the breaks between races as short as possible so the punters don't lose attention.
    I think it's worth a try, I can't see any reason why the industry participants wouldn't get behind it.

Gents - it is purely for a betting product - especially in these COVID19 times.

+ Reply to Thread