Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Its not a level playing field

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Group winner in Melbourne has tested positive to arsenic, used to help horse recover from tough run.
    All codes have it just seems more in Harness than gallops at present.
    There may be more to this than what appears at first sight, arsenic is a component of ITPP, the drug that is most thought to be the current choice for enhancement of form and supposedly undetectable at this point in time.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226175635076
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

triplev123
    Geeze, that sounds a bit nasty. I wonder where they're getting that information from though?
    Nothing that I've ever read about it has ever mentioned Arsenic.
    Looking at the chemical formula/structure, which from what I can find is C6H6Na6O21P6, I just can't see where it is/can be represented as a component there either?
    Maybe Arsenic, the chemical formula/ structure of which is H3AsO4, is produced/passed from the horse's system as a metabolite of the ITPP, although at this point I can't see how?
    Thanks for the story Phil. Interesting stuff.
    Last edited by triplev123; 10-26-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: wrong formula

triplev123
    I've read over a whole stack of stuff on this drug & still can't see where Arsenic ever comes into play in myo-inositol trispyrophosphate...be it part of the initial structure or a metabolite of/whatever.
    At the risk of going the early Crow...right now, I'm thinking that this story, with the Melbourne Racing Carnival in full swing, is a well-timed beat up.
    The horse might well have returned an Arsenic positive but that could have come from numerous other sources...and to then link it to myo-inositol trispyrophosphate?
    At the moment that seems a HUGE leap of faith to me.
    Maybe they had a whack with the ITPP test and it has, for want of a better word 'malfunctioned'? & instead of picking on the Phosphorous aspects of ITPP, it is picking up on the presence of Arsenic (which could be from Jurocyl or similar?) Arsenic & Phosphorous are pretty closely situated on the periodic table....there are only 3 bonded atoms of Oxygen vs 3 bonded atoms of Hydrogen between them. The test is in it's infancy and maybe it is not bowling onto a length? Fascinating stuff. All will be revealed in due course no doubt.

triplev123
    Just read a press release from the TB's....
    To me, the way it reads, the Arsenic positive & the ITPP testing are two seperate things.
    First off it mentions a horse came back with an Arsenic positive that has been sent to HK for confirmation...and then it goes on to quote Terry Bailey talking about ITPP testing. Nowhere can I see where anyone has specifically linked the two....except Courtney Walsh.
    I think our intrepid journo from The Australian has put 2 & 2 together and ended up with 5.
    Also, contrary to her headline and to everything I've been able to locate...ITPP is NOT an Arsenic drug. I can't find so much as a single reference to it as such. It might be there but it is well hidden if it is. The funniest part is that if it's an error then the SAME ERROR is being repeated all over the Internet all over the world by hack journo after hack journo that don't know any better & just accept as gospel the work of others & duly copy it.

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Very good comment.Check MEDIA WATCH and the re-reporting of the man eaten by Spiders.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    To me, the way it reads, the Arsenic positive & the ITPP testing are two seperate things.
    First off it mentions a horse came back with an Arsenic positive that has been sent to HK for confirmation...and then it goes on to quote Terry Bailey talking about ITPP testing. Nowhere can I see where anyone has specifically linked the two....except Courtney Walsh.
    I think our intrepid journo from The Australian has put 2 & 2 together and ended up with 5.
    Also, contrary to her headline and to everything I've been able to locate...ITPP is NOT an Arsenic drug. I can't find so much as a single reference to it as such. It might be there but it is well hidden if it is. The funniest part is that if it's an error then the SAME ERROR is being repeated all over the Internet all over the world by hack journo after hack journo that don't know any better & just accept as gospel the work of others & duly copy it.
    You don't have to tell me, I agree. Isn't the first (nor will it be the last) time a journo screws up.

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    Good work Jaimie. I had done some research myself, but probably not to the same degree, and was coming to the same conclusion. Not sure who said it, but there is a quote that goes something like........"To not read the newspapers is uninformed, to read the newspapers is misinformed."
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

+ Reply to Thread