Thread: Stallion Performance - trotters and pacers

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street

Stallion Performance - trotters and pacers

Hi everyone.

I created a sheet that compares each stallion's performance at stud based on Australian born foals. I last updated it May 31st so it's relatively up to date. Data is taken from harness.org.au

To note, RA stands for Racing Aged foals. Some stallions may have their results distorted by their top 1 or top 3 prizemoney earners so there is a column for highest earner and a second for three highest earners - I have sorted the sheets by the Average Prize Money Per Racing Aged Foal with the highest earner removed (column Q). You of course can re-sort to whichever column you like.

It's likely missing some stallions and I'm not always privvy to the status of a stallion (whether it's dead or retired). I'm only going to update the Dead/Retired/Gelded stallions for a little while longer (or at least while my obsession for consistent data remains... so likely forever).

Feel free to take a look. I'm open to making any changes you see fit. I did have conditional formatting set at one point but prefer just to look at the data as it is. If you want to manipulate the data, you can always cut and paste into a new Excel or Google Sheets document.

All I can say is the top 10 is looking mighty thin with Mach Three, SBSW, CUF, CC etc unavailable

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks Katie
    (There is a glitch on row 31 - a couple of 0%)
    I would consider deleting Dead/Retired/Gelded stallions - they are purely historical now (along with thousands of other stallions)

It is interesting/surprising to note that subtracting top and top 3 does not change rankings much

I always like to look at how many $100k winners they have produced (obviously more relevant to older stallions) and for the older stallions to look them up on ClassicFamilies to see their Offspring (be warned that not all those listed are classic winners however - to find that out you need to select from the top line at 2yo, at 3yo then at 4yo+ as 'ALL' gives you some that may have won very little but ran a fast time <1.56 but may not mean very much)

http://classicfamilies.net/horsedetails.aspx
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Thanks Katie
    (There is a glitch on row 31 - a couple of 0%)
    I would consider deleting Dead/Retired/Gelded stallions - they are purely historical now (along with thousands of other stallions)

It is interesting/surprising to note that subtracting top and top 3 does not change rankings much

I always like to look at how many $100k winners they have produced (obviously more relevant to older stallions) and for the older stallions to look them up on ClassicFamilies to see their Offspring (be warned that not all those listed are classic winners however - to find that out you need to select from the top line at 2yo, at 3yo then at 4yo+ as 'ALL' gives you some that may have won very little but ran a fast time <1.56 but may not mean very much)

http://classicfamilies.net/horsedetails.aspx
    Thanks for pointing out the formula error Kev, I actually saw a couple typos too so fixed those. I really should delete those gelded/dead ones but I love to compare how current stallions compare and typically can filter them out by selecting blanks in the pull down at the top - I'm not sure if you can do that as a viewer or you need to have editing rights.

We really do need a replacement for Bettors Delight ASAP because of his utter dominance. Even once Art Major goes....

Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    On another note, are there any free test mating programs available these days?

Senior Member Colt alphastud will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Richard .
    Occupation
    1300 078 237
    Horses
    TIGER TARA NZ $3,500, LIVE OR DIE USA
    Hi Katie, great work. I can't see Live Or Die USA. He was a former #1 NZ sire and still has very high winners to starters, multiple group winners etc. Thanks

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by KTQ View Post
    On another note, are there any free test mating programs available these days?
    Hey Katie, harness.org offers fantasy matings

http://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/r...on=main.search

Just search your mare and then you will see a tab up the top of the page for Fantasy Mating
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge

Great Work

Quote Originally Posted by KTQ View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the formula error Kev, I actually saw a couple typos too so fixed those. I really should delete those gelded/dead ones but I love to compare how current stallions compare and typically can filter them out by selecting blanks in the pull down at the top - I'm not sure if you can do that as a viewer or you need to have editing rights.

We really do need a replacement for Bettors Delight ASAP because of his utter dominance. Even once Art Major goes....
    Thanks Katie. This is a great resource.
    Some of the stats for former well promoted stallions look very thin. For example: Shadow Play, Auckland Reactor, Elsu, Changeover etc.

Junior Member Foal Hanrahan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Maurice Hanrahan
    Hi Katie

Enjoying your analysis, quite insightful. Out of curiosity, what is the definition of Racing Age.

Re test mating programs, I use Pedigree Partner. I know it required an upfront purchase but as far as value for money and simplicity of use it was terrific and far superior to fantasy mating and testmating (used by studs). I know he indicated it is not publicly available but it might be worth a phone call to Simon Morris (who developed it). Google to find is easiest. M

Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanrahan View Post
    Hi Katie

Enjoying your analysis, quite insightful. Out of curiosity, what is the definition of Racing Age.

Re test mating programs, I use Pedigree Partner. I know it required an upfront purchase but as far as value for money and simplicity of use it was terrific and far superior to fantasy mating and testmating (used by studs). I know he indicated it is not publicly available but it might be worth a phone call to Simon Morris (who developed it). Google to find is easiest. M
    Racing Aged foals are aged 2 and up - so basically its the foals that can actually race and earn. It doesn't count yearlings or foals. I update that number once 2yo racing begins each new season

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanrahan View Post
    Hi Katie

I love it too Maurice - the pedigrees look fantastic and stallion finder is most interesting. I would love a better explanation of their LBI ie how the 4 factors are combined. Have you noticed that if you bring up a 6 gen pedigree from a stallion finder inquiry, you will see a LBI rating/score for 6 gen's (instead of the 7 gens used for the ranking table) and comparing 6 gen scores certainly tightens up the range for many of the stallions. I cannot help but wonder whether the 7th gen gets too much consideration in stallion finder
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread