Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comparing Maternal Families - a spreadsheet

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Comparing Maternal Families - a spreadsheet

I am inspired by Katie (and my son who explained Google Docs to me) to share something I have worked on and looks at breeding more from the Dam's perspective

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...hRg/edit#gid=0

It is long and first lists Australian families, then New Zealand families (from Row 245) and finally USA families (from Row 446)

I call it Classic Families list. It is something I started as a result of my love for Ian Daff's Black Book which always screamed out for an index (hence the last column)
    On discovering Ron Groves, John Peck, Peter Craig and Simon Morris's magnificent

http://classicfamilies.net/

I adapted it and you could call it my summary of their Family Winners

At present I am updating the Winners table to make it the number of individual Gp1 winners that each family has produced this century - only the red are updated numbers (the others are only 2000 - 2012, I think)
    But you can see why one could say that, to breed a Gp1 winner you are best having a mare from one of the proven families

Some might say it has some value when it comes to choosing a stallion in that you can see which families produce the most stallions
    Enjoy it for what it is - simply a fans dabbling, advise me of any glaring admissions - there are lots as I cannot say I have put a lot of work into it, Ignore the green inclusions that are for my personal interest only and feel free to ask any questions
    (Q of Q's refers to the Norman Hall publication Queen Among Queens)
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-17-2020 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Update below
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Looks good Kev!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Maternal Families Spreadsheet IMPORTANT UPDATE

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...hRg/edit#gid=0

This message will go in the original thread next week but I wanted to make sure I caught your attention

If you only looked at the spreadsheet when I first posted it - look again as the update has made the original look like rubbish

When looking at Gp1 winners 2000-2020 there have been huge changes
    It has taken a bit of work AND I have decided to stop for now and update it at the end of 2020
    That way updating each year will not be so much work. I might also include a column for total number of Gp1's for the century
    You will see that most of the major families 2000-2020 column is now in red meaning it is current/updated

If you think there is a major family that I have overlooked or simply one that you would like included please let me know (at the end of 2020, I have good intentions to do them all)

The TOP 10 Leading families for Individual Gp 1 winners between 2000 and 2020 are

Australia
    A1=19
    A4=19
    A2=14
    A6=9
    A3=8
    A27=6
    A30=6
    A10=4
    A13=4
    A31=4
    A41=4
    A227=4

New Zealand
    N1=34
    N2=31
    N25=28
    N7=25
    N10=21
    N3=20
    N6=17
    N31=17
    N34=16
    N12=15
    N19=15

United States
    U1=172
    U2=170
    U5=139
    U3=88
    U6=83
    U4=79
    U9=79
    U7=61
    U8=61
    U11=49

There are of course many variables such as the numbers bred from each family and the number of Gp1's held (although there is nothing to stop any A, N or U family from being 'International'. You will notice that a huge number of U families are strong in Europe)

Australian families producing Gp1's does look a bit light on except for the top 3

It is interesting to note some outstanding Sires in weak maternal families (esp U families), IMO indicative of a dominant sire line as opposed to the dam line - something I plan to delve into further (if my other hobbies allow)

Of course my Spreadsheet is only an Entre to indulging in a Main Course of pouring over

http://classicfamilies.net/cf/FamilyWinners.aspx

Remember that once you have the winners listed for the family that you are interested in Click on the last column heading Time/$/Grp to make it a much better organized read

For other Classicfamilies tips see their tutorial

http://classicfamilies.net/docs/CFTutorial.pdf
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread