Administrator 3YO admin will become famous soon enough admin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward

Adverts

I'm testing some advertising on the Forum. Members will see ads above and below the forums and threads. Non members will see those plus one inline next to the first post in each thread.
    Please read the rules before posting.

Harnesslink Marketing Manager

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Also quick note here because everyone will see it. I'm testing some advertising on the Forum. Members will see ads above and below the forums and threads. Non members will see those plus one inline next to the first post in each thread.
    I have all advertising blocked on several sites including this one in Firefox. I opened it in Internet Explorer , where I do not have advertising blocked , and did not log in. This thread shows a big ad right in Jamie's original post advertising "miracle" face cream and then another flogging a book on how to beat the share market!!

This is what non-members see when they come to this thread. I know that the site has to be funded from somewhere , but Jamie are you impressed? Log out and have a look what your post includes for non-members.

BTW, Jules , not criticising you for finding ways of funding the site , but a big ad right in an original post looks like , to the casual non-member , to be an ad maybe inserted by that poster.
    Last edited by David Summers; 10-27-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward
    Quote Originally Posted by David Summers View Post
    I have all advertising blocked on several sites including this one in Firefox. I opened it in Internet Explorer , where I do not have advertising blocked , and did not log in. This thread shows a big ad right in Jamie's original post advertising "miracle" face cream and then another flogging a book on how to beat the share market!!

This is what non-members see when they come to this thread. I know that the site has to be funded from somewhere , but Jamie are you impressed? Log out and have a look what your post includes for non-members.

BTW, Jules , not criticising you for finding ways of funding the site , but a big ad right in an original post looks like , to the casual non-member , to be an ad maybe inserted by that poster.
    This is the default ad set up that comes with the forum software. It uses Google Adsense, which will usually provide ads based on what your other browsing habits are (unless it can find specific harness racing ads, of which there aren't many). So I'm getting ads for web design/marketing products mainly, along with some pretty irrelevant ones. Google's pretty smart and will test a lot of ads to see what works on the fly - what works are those that forum users are actually clicking on, so these will be more relevant long term (hopefully anyway).

I realize the within post ad isn't an ideal solution, but that's why it's turned off to all logged in members, so you won't see it. As you mentioned ad blocking software is available so people are free to use it (I would myself if looking at what Google thinks I want to buy didn't amuse me so much). In the future we'll run our own ads from Harnesslink, but for now I'd like to see how these go.

I've never looked into ad blocking solutions for the reason above, but if you want to post what you use, I'm more than happy for members to use that stuff.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    As I said , I use Firefox as my browser and have used free ad blocking software called Adblock Plus for many years with great success. I thoroughly recommend it. You never have to see another annoying ad online again. You can configure individual sites if there are some that you actually want to view ads on.

Available here , if anyone is interested http://adblockplus.org/en/

triplev123

Wink Jules makes a shameless grab for the cash!

Doesn't worry me that much David. I've become selectively blind to most advertising just as I invariably become selectively deaf when the NFL is on ESPN.
    Besides, we have to be realistic. At this point in time it doesn't appear likely that JC will score himself an agent commision for selling Auckland Reactor AGAIN! ...and this site has to be paid for somehow. I say knock yourself out Jules. Traffic = advertising $. Just as long as I don't get 'Reduce your Carbon Footprint' or similar Eco-Marxist bullshit adverts popping up in my posts, we'll get along just fine.

Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    Just as long as I don't get 'Reduce your Carbon Footprint' or similar Eco-Marxist bullshit adverts popping up in my posts, we'll get along just fine.
    Google scans the content of each thread to decide which ads to serve, so... carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions.

Real Name
    David Summers
    Google scans the content of each thread to decide which ads to serve
    Google certainly needs some work on their Ad-sense ads , if their scanning of this thread finds something which leads them to place the current ad in your opening post Jules. Clicking on the ad brings up this web page http://www.adrenalin.com.au/fighter-...c_motor_sports

For the life of me I can't see how that has anything to do with what is being discussed here.

aussiebreno
    and a dating site

triplev123
    Google scans the content of each thread to decide which ads to serve, so... carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions, carbon footprint, global warming, emissions.
    [VVV] Hey Jules, in direct response to the above, an advert. has already appeared for Free Chicken Manure. 'Bring your Box Trailer & Save'....it says.

Real Name
    Jules Boven
    Occupation
    Marketing Manager
    Horses
    Charge Forward
    Getting closer to relevant ads. We're now officially at unicorn, which, if I know my equidae is just a small taxonomic shift from a standardbred.

Untitled-1.jpg

+ Reply to Thread