Quote Originally Posted by Harold Parker View Post
Dunno what you do for a crust Steve but have you ever thought of becoming a steward ? : )
That's cheeky!..........to be honest with you...........I hate doing my money, and all I ask is for is my share of luck in running, I make a decision on a race on who I like etc, and bet accordingly............but I don't have control of luck in running, it can vary from 0-100%, and so often decides the result, apart from the horse, it's driver, the track, the other runners etc.
In the race we are talking about, Screaman Seaman "should have won" bit it didn't.........it won't be the first or last time this happens! The horse landed 1-2 back in running, perfect!........a horse gets caught 3 wide and decided to stay there rather going foward or back........it happens......the driver makes a decision to follow the 1-1 horse rather than a horse that has been 3 wide since the outset.......I can't say this was a bad decision......SS gets completely taken back through the field to the point where the ground to make up is too much.......and we know the result......the other option in this would have been to follow Rollon Gidget 3 wide early, pull 4 wide and go and race outside leader, I am sure BJH would have let BPH have the spot!.........SS seems to run better when held up for a final sprint and that was the tactic to be employed, but the circumstances of the race did not allow SS to get the required run to show it's best ability!
Now, if you think I have got this wrong.......please give me your explanation of where.......because all I have done is describe how the race unfolded!
I have analysed races, trials etc., over a long period of time.....I don't care how good your form study is........you still need luck, and that luck can range from 0-100%.......all you can ask for is your fair share over time.......then if your form is good, you will come out in front. How many times have you been on the "wrong foot" when having a punt, never get any luck in running, driver does not drive the way you expect, every photo finish goes against you.........then other times your "walking on water" can't do a thing wrong! Puntingis frustrating.......my only advise is to stick to your opinion, don't get put off by the odds, and hang in there........so won't go crazy then!
I don't think they would employ a punter as a steward, but as a form researcher for the stewards......then I would jump at this........I know they have form experts advising the stewards panels at the gallops!
My occupation is in finance!