Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broodmares....Who has them?

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)

Broodmares....Who has them?

Some of the big stud farms in NA have a reasonable number of quality broodmares that
    they use to support the stallions they are standing.
    Is this so in AU & NZ? who would have the best band of broodmares in the southern hemisphere,
    would it be the bigger studs?

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Justdoit
    Place's like Spreydon Lodge, Bromac Lodge, Breckon Farms in New Zealand would have the better mare's and there's probably another couple of places out there. These place's as far as i'm aware don't stand stallions and as for the stud farms i don't know of any of them having a great broodmare band. In Australia it's the same, no stud has standout broodmare's to support there stallions like they do in the U.S but places who have some good broodmare's would be Kevin & Kay Seymour, Brooklyn lodge and there would be others.

Super Moderator Colt Neil will become famous soon enough Neil's Avatar
    Real Name
    Neil Bennett
    Occupation
    Engineer
    I would have added Nevele R and Alabar to that list in New Zealand - I think they have some really well bred stock

Roydon Lodge has lots of mares too but apart from the really well bred trotting ones it is about a numbers game for stallions like Extreme Three. Given the yearling we have that game could pay off.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Neil
    Royden Lodge for sure and Alabar have picked up 1 or 2 good ones but when going through alot of there mare's and Nevele r studs there very average when it come's to quality. When it comes to quality i think the place's i mentioned and the one you mentioned would beat them hands down. Neil i also believe that Cavalla Bloodstock has a nice broodmare band going on would this be correct. I also looked up that C-C trotter with the 2 by 2 of ITP to close for my liking (inbred) but i do wish you all the best.

Super Moderator Colt Neil will become famous soon enough Neil's Avatar
    Real Name
    Neil Bennett
    Occupation
    Engineer
    Cavalla certainly has plenty of well bred mares but really only standing Sands A Flyin out of sentiment to Monkey and to serve a lot of their mares.

saw the CC bowl around today and doing well this campaign so heres hoping - I guess we send her to Courage Under Fire to keep the blood close

Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Thank you Mango & Neil,
    That possibly has answered another question I had.
    With no limit on the number of mares a stallion can breed in a season, the stud farms obviously take the view that
    breeding as many mares as possible is what is going to give them the greatest chance of success.
    The ownership of allot of quality broodmares would change if the stallions had limited breeding's per season,
    with the stud having to focus on quality and not just quantity alone.
    Mr and Mrs Seymour, have they ever had stallions?
    Last edited by justdoit; 12-18-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Justdoit
    Mr and Mrs Seymour as far as i'm aware stood Perfect Art and Fake Left and there would of been others but sold the stud years ago, they did keep a select group of mare's which are of great quality. Kevin Seymour is also the part owner of Mr Feelgood who served a couple of mare's last year whilst racing and as i believe he will go to stud this time next year but to where he will stand would be anyone's guess as Queensland wouldn't be the place to get a stallion up and running with the uncertainity up there at the present time's but things can change.

Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Mr Feelgood will then have every chance to prove himself as a sire, with the help of their mares.
    It is a shame that Mick Lombardo did not enter the stallion business in any serious way IMO, he would
    have some nice mares also?

Super Moderator Weanling John Curtin will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    From what I know Robert Watson in Perth probably has the best broodmares in Australsia. I know he has been buying a lot of mares over the las few years from NZ and the USA. Also I do not know what happened to the Platium Breeding group in NZ formally Dennis Thompson but there mares are as good as they get as well.

Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Dennis Thompson is he or was he the Australian Rep for CCullen?I could be wrong.
    Dr? Robert Watson, has he invested in a stallion yet?he should.

+ Reply to Thread