Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question for Flashing(or anyone slse)

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac

Question for Flashing(or anyone slse)

Arctic Fire has just arrived at the stables of Noel Daley.

How long does it take them to settle in? Everybody tells me they all get sick... When do you think is a reasonable expectation that she will be able to go to the trials/races( she was obviously fully race fit prior to travelling)

Flashing Red
    I had all mine qualifying within 2 weeks and racing at 3 weeks if they were in full work when they left Australia - they never got sick. However, I got a lot of "tut tut" from the USA trainers for not giving them 1-2 weeks off on arrival, which does appear to be the done thing. I find keeping them on sulfa/trimethoprim during the duration of their travel and also the first week they are in the country, 2 days off after they arrive at the farm in NJ, bute every day for 5-6 days in a row after arrive at the farm in NJ gets rid of all their travel aches and pains and by the 4-5th day they are feeling GOOD!

I did 3 shipments and the horses didn't get sick once. I had one horse get sick for a week, but he had already been in North America for 12 months so you can't count that Noel is a fantastic trainer and has had a number of overseas horses so I am sure your mare will be fine she is in GREAT hands My 2 week qualifer - 3 week til racing is about as quick as you can get them to the races over there. A lot of trainers take 4-6 weeks.... I can't really tell you how long they take to settle in since I did things differently

triplev123
    I got terribly sick coming back from Hong Kong once. Just tell her not to drink on the plane.

Senior Member 2YO Starship Captain will become famous soon enough Starship Captain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason Cash
    I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    Hi,
    Flashing Red posted 4 to 6 weeks.
    How is she doing? Arctic Fire that is

Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    She travelled over well, but did pick up a virus after about 2 weeks, but nothing serious.

I will get an update shortly, but hopefully will be racing before the year is out or at worst early in the new year

Senior Member 2YO Starship Captain will become famous soon enough Starship Captain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason Cash
    I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    Daley is based in New Jersey? snow?
    It is exciting for us to see any horse from Down Under racing in the states, so you must be stoked!

Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    We are over the moon to have her race over there. Arctic is very special to me and my family.

The mere fact we still own her is amazing. I took her to the yearling sales, but she didnt reach my reserve. She was "sold" as a 2yo but the money never arrived. She was sold as an early 3yo, but again the funds never made it, so I said stuff it we are keeping her, and since i made that decision she has won over 200K in prizemoney!!

On top of this, she is the most beautiful and good natured horse you will ever find. She just loves attention. She is the first horse that my daughters have fallen for and now have them far more interested in harness racing.

She owes us nothing and if and when her time to race is up, we will bring her back to Aust to breed from and so we can go visit her on a regular basis.

Real Name
    Jason Cash
    Occupation
    Starship Captain
    Good story, those guy's that did'nt come up with the money...haha I bet that they would not like to be reminded of that.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    She travelled over well, but did pick up a virus after about 2 weeks, but nothing serious.

I will get an update shortly, but hopefully will be racing before the year is out or at worst early in the new year
    Sorry about your setback. Sure she be racing in no time

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Mo, just a quick question. Those two that you "sold" her to , was it just an "OK I'll buy her for $xxxxxx " type offer or a real transaction on paper and did you have any recourse or legal action available when they did not pay?

+ Reply to Thread