Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bitobliss - Grand Circuit Major Player

Member Gelding littlelenny will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    lenny panetto
    Interesting choice i suppose he knows the horse best. I expect his first priority is the Kilmore Cup he will probably get a substantial handicap, if he can pull off another win from the handicap he might change his mind. The kiwi trainers would probably prefer he stay home but i hope he goes cause i think he can win it.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    I had hoped Bitobliss would start in the Gammalite this week but alas he was not nominated. Smoken Up was nominated and I thought it would be great to see this Superstar race again. What did the HRV handicappers do, gave him a 40m handicap and he has been withdrawn from the noms.
    Maybe that is why Bitobliss didn't nominate, he too would have received a big handicap.
    Do the powers to be realise the public want to see their stars go around.
    Now Blitobliss is back to great form and becoming a crowd pleaser, watch the crap draws and handicaps be gets. The HRV have form on this.

aussiebreno
    And here I was thinking the point of handicaps was to even the field up. Leave the marketing up to the marketing guys. Handicappers shouldn't have external sources affecting decision making. What about the farce and unfair treatment to all when they moved horses barrier stalls to look after Black Caviar. Leaves a sour taste in mouth. Can't look after one horse at cost to rest of field.

We'd all loved to see Bitobliss, Smoken Up etc race but I think its unfair to blame handicappers who just simply doing their job.

Have you ever thought better horses get crap draws because of PBD system...

How boring would it have been if Bitobliss drew gate two last week. Not sure if it was RBD and PBD last week but boy coming from where he did (last two starts now) provided good viewing.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Exactly Breno!!

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Yeah you're right guys. Being a discretionary handicap event, the handicappers make the decision, no formula involved. And the marketing guys have alot to work with with the classy horses home in their stalls.
    How was the crowd and public interest, not to mention the turnover around your example of Black Caviar.
    Based on your comments, you would consider to a race field of 6 as being bias and unfair.
    We want to see the good ones.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    Yeah you're right guys. Being a discretionary handicap event, the handicappers make the decision, no formula involved. And the marketing guys have alot to work with with the classy horses home in their stalls.
    How was the crowd and public interest, not to mention the turnover around your example of Black Caviar.
    Based on your comments, you would consider to a race field of 6 as being bias and unfair.
    We want to see the good ones.
    Bitobliss was there last week and all reports was small crowd at Melton anyway.
    I'd say turnover on Black Caviar races down on what they would have been without Black Caviar. No-one backed against her and pointless taking $1.05. Same story if Bitobliss and Smoken Up and others stars aren't handicapped properly or draw good in RBD. They start too short. TAB always say odds on no good for revenue.
    How do you extrapolate on my comments that a race field of 6 is bias and unfair :s
    I want to see good ones as well, but the owners of other 11 horses in a race want fair go. If Smoken Up deserves 40m he gets 40m. If Smoken Up deserves to draw outside back row, he draws outside back row. No favours or unfairly hurting the opposition chances for the sake of marketing.

Real Name
    bailey martin
    Brendan, I may have drawn a long bow with that comment, sorry. I was referring to PBD which is meant even up the fields with the better ones getting the 2nd line, which would not happen in a 6 horse field.
    Two things, after last weeks great effort I think Bitobliss's fan base has increased and as we know Smoken Up has a large following.
    Looking at the field for the Gammalite, they could of easily had, based on form, all off the front and Smoken Up off 20m and he may have started. Surely you would agree we need some headliners going around each week if possible.
    Remember when Blacky use to race against claimers in FFA's.Sometimes in 4 and 5 horse fields. The Club wanted him there to promote.
    Enjoy your "Vonu"

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Both Brendan and Bailey make fair points. I think a discretionary gives the handicapper a bit of room to work with. I do not really believe that the handicapper needs to give a champion more than 20m provided that would be the backmark - making it the equivalent to a PBD. The frontmarkers do not use their front mark to make it hard for the backmarker to get into the race (that is what happens in pro athletics), so all the handicapper is doing is ensuring the backmarker settles at the rear of the field - why piss the owner/trainers off by giving them 40 instead of 20. As for BOB not bringing a crowd - he has not exactly become a household name as yet (will have Smoken status by the end of this season), do not forget that we had a thread on here about the average quality of the meet (only 5 Metro grade races, 3 claimers) and last years grand finalists were playing in this year's first final and on TV
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding littlelenny will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    lenny panetto
    Wow 40 metres now thats not a handicap to even out the field thts more like handicaping the horse right out of the race. Definetly agree Kevin 20 metres seems more realistic but thats their race, their choice and IMO their loss.
    People come to see champions and yes it wouldnt be fair if they all drew the front line but 20m definetly would of made a race of it and maybe we would of seen another few of the other big names have a go such as bitobliss, melpark Major and the like. But thats just my opinion.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelenny View Post
    Wow 40 metres now thats not a handicap to even out the field thts more like handicaping the horse right out of the race. Definetly agree Kevin 20 metres seems more realistic but thats their race, their choice and IMO their loss.
    People come to see champions and yes it wouldnt be fair if they all drew the front line but 20m definetly would of made a race of it and maybe we would of seen another few of the other big names have a go such as bitobliss, melpark Major and the like. But thats just my opinion.
    I checked noms too Bailey. Have something on at home this Friday night. "She who must be obeyed" said no trots this week. Knowing how my son loves watching Smoken Up bowl around checked to see if he nominated. Saw him in and so was going to move the do to Melton.

"If the mountain won't come to Muhammed then Muhammed must go to the mountain."

Even got permission to do so! Went back to make sure before making booking and saw the 40m handicap. No way he going to run in race giving Chancellor Cullen 40m head start. We want to see him run. But not in race he given no chance in. So we stay home.

I'm told.... Caribbean Blaster won race last year off 10m. Jaccka Clive and Melpark Major only others handicapped given 30m. Jaccka Clive had won 3 of last 4 in FFA company. Melpark Major won last start in FFA company first up for 8 months. Finished 5th and 8th. Jaccka Clive caught field and went round sat in death. Melpark Major never really got into race. Chancellor Cullen blitzed Caribbean Blaster week later in Melton Plate. Caribbean Blaster went on win Vic Cup, etc.

Don't know how they do handicaps. Guess Chancellor Cullen draws front as first run in FFA company? Fair enough. But then the 40m handicap would seem a bit excessive?

As for evening up the field... Chancellor Cullen a $1.80 chance in this mornings paper.

Like you say Lenny, their loss. Few FFAs in coming weeks RBD by look of it so hopefully see him bowling around then.

Went to function for Bill Hutchison at Melton other week. Night of Smoken Up first up and Bitobliss. Freezing cold night and windy. Not many people going outside to watch races. We snuck off before main race to go see Smoken Up in parade ring. When got back to stand heaps of people outside to watch.

Bitobliss got a big following already. Went to Kilmore Cup last year. The roar of the crowd when he won AWESOME !

+ Reply to Thread