Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Explain

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Gulity as charged Maurice - I was a bit slack and forgot that although the HRV horse search/performance list does not show a 'replay icon' for her Tassie starts, if you click on the dates it takes you to full race results where you can watch the replay

Carrick 8/1: Started from 4, no opportunity to go forward at start so taken back to 1x5 (that is what 15 means in Tassie comments) and never put in race (lost a bit of contact with 1x4 down the back) Finished 6/10 beaten 15m
    Burnie 18/12: Started from 5 (outside of fr on this tiny track), went back to last then had the 3WT for the last 900m (the train has to start early on a 600m track). Lost a bit of contact down the back. Finished 7/9 beaten 12m. The run was just average compared to the leader of the 3WT and the 3WT2 that was on her back
    Burnie 20/11: Drew SR2 and got a beautiful 1x1 trail for first 1300m, poor drive as he went 3w at 900 when he didn't seem to need to - so did have a hard run. Finished 3/9 beaten 5m
    Hobart/Elwick 6/11: Drew 2 and led and WON 1/6. First up wins by 9m at $1.65 despite only having won 1 of 55 starts. Race obviously lack lustre but notable for 10yo Williamlee who despite being hard driven in the death the whole way, nearly held on for 2nd. He has not won for 4yrs but he is a half bro to Lombo Pocket Watch

Thanks for keeping me honest Maurice - I really enjoyed watching those races and will definitely be tuning into more Tassie races especially day meets at Burnie

Looking at the Stawell field again, I have to admit that any new blood on the scene in that race was probably going to start favourite especially from Fr1
    and that 2nd supplied the form for her to start favourite at Wedderburn
    She may be a bit one paced and her poor record is probably due to needing a draw to lead where she can keep the pace on all the way

Now Explained

ps I wouldn't be surprised if she makes a broodmare
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Foal Hanrahan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Maurice Hanrahan
    Messenger

Thanks for the honest reply. I enjoy your posts and passion for the game.

Regards

M

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    And thanks to you Maurice, as I discovered it was the Burnie Cup yesterday and the replays made for great viewing this afternoon

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...s/?mc=BE310121

I highly recommend watching unless you suffer from Vertigo as despite starting in the back straight, the finish of the Cup was not until they passed the winning post for the 5th time!
    They say the home straight is 95m but one that looked to have won by half the length of the straight was only credited with winning by 26m

I don't know if the non-cup stand start races were new distances but the Tk Rec was broken/set for three distances yesterday
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Kate Hargreaves at Mildura is now equal to Emma Stewart at her peak - although Stewart's success was statewide however Stewart often had multiple runners in a race while Hargreaves only needs one.
    Last night she had 4 starters for 4 winners
    Her winning strike rate at the track is now 49% (38 from 78) for the last 12 months
    The racing at Mildura is clearly easier as her strike rate is half that elsewhere

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...s/?mc=ML240221
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Kate had 4 starters at Mildura tonight for 2 wins and 2 seconds so she keeps up her 50% strike rate

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...s/?mc=ML050321
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Don't get me wrong - I AM ALL FOR STRONG PENALTIES
    But I am looking for a bit of detail as to why
    Malcolm Locke has just copped 18¾yrs
    I need a NSWelshman to tell me what I obviously don't know
    As far as I know he has only been training a couple of years
    but he must have irked somebody off big time as down
    in Vic you only get 6mths for leaving a course because your runner died and had to hurry home to bury it in an asbestos pit before telling the authorities

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=48216
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Please explain to the punters

The Ashwood stable had Elleker Hanonver in R3 at Warragul today and the punters backed it into $1.30

It was its first start for the stable since coming over from WA where it had had 122 starts for 4 wins
    In its last 20 starts in WA it had not started shorter than $45 but the average price would be closer to $100 for these starts

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...21#WRC24052106
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post

The Ashwood stable had Elleker Hanonver in R3 at Warragul today and the punters backed it into $1.30

It was its first start for the stable since coming over from WA where it had had 122 starts for 4 wins
    In its last 20 starts in WA it had not started shorter than $45 but the average price would be closer to $100 for these starts

I think the answer may lie in the ownership, there have been precedents to this horse. Get the magnifying glass out Kev, there is a pattern developing of poorly performed horses from WA obscurity, coming east and growing four new legs. Look no further than the similarly performed Dibaba in NSW. A nothing from the wheat belt, comes to Sydney and wins 9 straight!

I note the horse in question at Warragul had a pre race swab, no post race though. Questions I'd like answered: do swabs actually get tested, are the stewards aware the horse had only raced in WA only 5 weeks ago and had not been trialled, why was there no questioning of the mare's improved performance and the betting?

All very valid questions you have raised Kev. If the "integrity unit" stopped reading Phantom comics and started studying this readily available, job related information we might get some answers. I suggest an unannounced stable inspection the day before the mare's next race with some proper swabbing would be a good starting point.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    First start in NSW 7yo mare Dibaba starts $1.09 and wins by 29m then like you said wins the next 8 and now has a NSW record of 9wins 1second from 10 NSW starts this year
    She had won 5 of 131 before that in WA
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post

This wasn't the Hargreaves stable's first WA incredible miss
    Tonight's $1.20 Bendigo winner Im Loki had his first Vic start at Mildura on May 14 and started the unbelievable quote of $1.04 but he too finished 2nd
    At his 3 previous starts in WA he had started at $101+ and been beaten by a total of 100m in those starts. He had a WA record of 110 starts for 6 wins

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/hor...horseId=796342
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread