Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HRNSW - Appointment of Board Members

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers

HRNSW - Appointment of Board Members

Anyone here interested in applying ?

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=93933

triplev123
    Call me a cynic David but isn't the following directly at odds with the above?...as in the claim that this is an industry-appointed Board chartered to operate autonomously of Government yet according to the above applications for Board spots are apparently being vetted by OLGR?

From the web page- http://www.hrnsw.com.au/what-we-do.html

WHAT WE DO

Harness Racing New South Wales (HRNSW) conducts the commercial and regulatory functions of the harness racing industry in NSW.
    Operating under the Harness Racing Act 2009, HRNSW is controlled by an industry-appointed Board of five, headed by an independent Chairman and is chartered to operate autonomously of government in managing the strategic and commercial development of harness racing in NSW as a not-for-profit corporate body.

Functions performed by HRNSW include registration of harness racing clubs, strategic planning, insurance administration, allocation and scheduling of race meetings, distribution of funds, negotiation of commercial agreements, development of breeding and handicapping policy, management of capital works and the regulatory control of the industry, as well as a range of other activities previously performed by the NSW Harness Racing Authority (HRA) and the Greyhound and Harness Racing Regulatory Authority (GHRRA).

HRNSW employs over 30 staff to undertake the day-to-day running, management and administration of the industry and is also responsible for the publication and distribution of the NSW Harness Racing Gazette, the industry’s leading monthly magazine.

Board and management from HRNSW provide industry representation to Harness Racing Australia (HRA).
    Last edited by triplev123; 11-15-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    That's why I posted the link which seem to be at odds with their previously stated "mantra". I knew you would take the bait Jaimie.

Is anyone able to work out why the complete discrepancy?

triplev123

triplev123
    Have sought and received some clarification on this one David.
    This time around the structure of the Board changes from an Industry Appointed to Independent as per the Harness Racing Act of 2009. The same will happen to the Greyhounds. The TB's have had an Independent Board for a while.
    This requires that ALL members must be independent...so that means because of their respective race club affiliations that neither Rex (NSWHRC) nor Les(Bankstown) will be able to go around again but Graeme could stand again as could Rob though of course as is the way with all such things, there are no guarentees that either would get another term. I'm not sure how I feel about this to be honest. Will have to sit and ponder it for a while.
    Last edited by triplev123; 11-16-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: poor spelling

triplev123

Jobs for the Boys? Let's hope not.

Having pondered , what exactly are the implications of an 'Idependent Board'?
    Does that mean that we get Jobs for the Boys non-racing, bean counter, desk pilot, seat polisher boffin types on there ala the GHRRA back when Labor was in Office here in NSW? We all saw what an absolute bloody shambles that became.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Yep you got it in 4 and added together equals ....you got that too...absolute bloody shambles...!!!!

triplev123
    G'day Tony,
    It bothers me greatly that over the years Harness Racing here in NSW has periodically suffered as a result of it being used as a political football.
    Up until the current Board of HRNSW it has virtually always been a bit of a Jobs for the Boys routine to varying degrees. IMO the GHRRA Board were by both word & deed...shall I use the term 'politically sympathetic'?...to the Labor Government of the day and I sincerely hope the incoming Board of HRNSW, whomever they may turn out to be, are sympathetic only to the wants, needs and desires of the NSW Harness Racing Industry and NOBODY ELSE.
    The very fact that their applications are being collected & vetted by OLGR does not fill me with any great hope for an independence of Government however.
    IMO it's akin to claiming that a Chicken is Free Range...when in fact it is simply living in a large cage.
    On a related note, you can guarentee that various levels of desk pilot within the Department of Gaming & Racing have used the recent upheavals within the Industry to fend off Premier O'Farrell's widely foreshadowed reductions to the NSW Public Service, instead using it as an exucse to butress their numbers and perhaps even increasing them. It's all about empire building and has little or nothing to do with the longer term well-being of the Harness Racing Industry.
    Last edited by triplev123; 11-17-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Junior Member Yearling coldshot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rebecca Taylor
    Occupation
    Teacher/Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    G'day Tony,
    The very fact that their applications are being collected & vetted by OLGR does not fill me with any great hope for an independence of Government however.
    Initially I thought VVV may have been alarmist so I decided to invest this morning's coffee break in a admittedly hurried reading of the Harness Racing Act. The conditions of Section 7 'The Selection Panel must not recommend a person for appointment as a member of HRNSW unless the Panel is satisfied that the person has experience in a senior administrative role or experience at a senior level in one or more of the fields of business, finance, law, marketing, technology, commerce, regulatory administration or regulatory enforcement' associated with being eligible to be a Board Member are pretty clear-cut and I think are the same for all codes now.

Section 6 then sets out all the reasons why someone could not be eligible to be a Board Member:

A person is not eligible to be a member of HRNSW if the person:
    (a) is an employee of a harness racing club, or
    (b) is a member of the governing body of a harness racing club or eligible industry body, or
    (c) is registered by or with HRNSW under this Act, or
    (d) is registered or licensed by or with GRNSW under the Greyhound Racing Act 2009 , or
    (e) holds a licence issued by Racing New South Wales, or
    (f) is currently, or during the previous 10 years has been, warned off, disqualified or named on the Unpaid Forfeit List under the rules, or
    (g) during the previous 10 years has been convicted in New South Wales of an offence that is punishable by imprisonment for 12 months or more, or convicted elsewhere than in New South Wales of an offence that, if committed in New South Wales, would be an offence so punishable, or
    (h) is an undischarged bankrupt or is taking advantage of the laws in force for the time being relating to bankruptcy, or
    (i) is a mentally incapacitated person.
    (3) A person is not eligible to be appointed as a member of HRNSW if the person is a member of the Selection Panel at the time the Selection Panel makes its recommendation for the appointment concerned.
    (4) A person is not eligible to hold office as a member of HRNSW for more than 8 years in total (whether or not involving consecutive terms of office).
    (5) While a person is a member of HRNSW, any entitlement of the person to vote as a member of a harness racing club or of an eligible industry body is suspended.

I nearly missed the first clause of Section 6 'The Minister is to establish a Selection Panel to recommend persons for appointment as members of HRNSW and to recommend the term of office of members' which on reading has me leaning towards agreeing with VVV's concerns. The critical issues will be the composition of the Selection Panel and who applies (or is encouraged to apply).

With all the restrictions on club membership, employees and registered persons, it seems to me that things are pretty much geared towards owners. Fair enough I suppose seeing their investment in the sport.
    Last edited by coldshot; 11-17-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: punctuation

triplev123
    G'day Rebecca,

Political appointments of either persuasion bother me more than anything else.
    I don't think it does the Industry any good at all to have a Board that is rubber stamped by the State Government of the day & I say this on the basis that what is good for the Industry and what is good for the Government of the day are not neccessarily always going to be one & the same. If the Board is going to be so widely trumpeted as being Independent then it should truly be Independent & not a political semantics version thereof.
    Don't get me wrong, I am nothing short of overjoyed that Barry O'Farrell & his team are now in Office here in NSW for his NSW State Labor predecessors were a Sussex St. Machine Men driven abject disgrace.
    Our State Member here is now Kevin Conolly & he's a great bloke. His Office is about 400m up the road from my house. Thumbs up across the board for him.
    It's just that above & beyond Politics, I want what we all want, that which is best for the NSW Harness Racing Industry...and I am yet to be convinced that an OLGR sifted & vetted Board line-up is going to stand & fight the good fight on behalf of the NSW Harness Racing Industry should the need arise for them to do so.
    Happy to be proven wrong of course but I've seen too much of politics and of OLGR in both this and other spheres of their operation to hold out any great hopes at this juncture.

+ Reply to Thread