Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Melton Saturday Night

aussiebreno

Melton Saturday Night

How come Melton is racing tonight, a Saturday night, away from its usual Friday night fixture?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I don't know why but if they want people to come Saturday night is much better, the traffic is a shocker on Friday nights on the ring road.
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    I agree. I just don't understanding their thinking holding Melton meetings on Friday nights. It makes no sense to me. Saturday is quite obviously the better night , all round.

triplev123
    Have they got a roof on the Grandstand yet?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    Have they got a roof on the Grandstand yet?
    NO !! The designers forgot that it rains sometimes. Its a joke out there on wet nights.
    Last edited by gutwagon; 11-19-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: grammer
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    It's pencilled in for consideration possibly in 2050. They might give it some thought in that year's Annual General meeting :-)

It's not exactly like they make any sudden decisions or admit they were wrong in the first place at Melton. A 1000 metre track ???? , AND no grandstand roof - give me a break !

The Melton board should be made to sit in the uncovered grandstand every meeting , rain , hail or whatever and see what the plebs have to put up with.
    Last edited by David Summers; 11-19-2011 at 06:47 PM.

triplev123
    What else could be expected from Harness Racing facilities built under the supervision of a Labor State Government but a 6 across the front 1000m track and a roof-less grandstand?
    Interestingly, I note that it has once again begun to rain down there. If old mate Neil is in attendance this evening, one hopes he has remembered to pack an Umbrella.

Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses

Unhappy

I went to "Tabcorp Park" at Melton last night, that was Melton not Menangle ! Top marks to the genius who decided to call both places "Tabcorp Park" , Nobody will ever get confused when placing bets will they ?
    It rained most of the night. There is no outside undercover seating, the small out door grandstand would hold about 100 people and has no roof. There is no indoor seating where the public can watch the races live. You can stand under the front balcony where people are packed in like sardines and view the races through the streams of water pouring off the balcony, but if your under 6 foot tall you will struggle to see because the viewing area is not raised much higher than the track. If your an owner you can take the long walk to the home turn to the "Owners Room" and watch their bums as they hit the finish line. I hope you like using those betting terminals because they shut the tote window down . Plenty of TV's around to watch the races on a slight delay ! Oh wait on I could do that at home or the local pubtab ! The parade ring is hidden away from the public, most non owners/trainers probably don't know where it is ! The new "Legends Room" is not to bad but the huge long ramp that we have to negotiate to get into it is very annoying, it's not undercover either ! Oh don't get me started on the lack of a 1400m track !
    It's not all bad though, the horse stalls are much better than Moonee Valley and the pokies and restaurant make money 7 days a week for HRV.The track is also much faster and safer than the old one . It's also a good location for trainers travel wise, just no good for people coming from Melbourne on week nights.
    Well thats my opinion of the place, I'm sure that the board has their opinion and will fix any issues in the next 40 odd years !
    Last edited by gutwagon; 11-20-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    David Summers
    Rick , thanks , that's a pretty comprehensive post about Melton.

Firstly , how about some thought being given on dropping the stupid "Tabcorp Park" from both names. They're called Melton and Menangle , who cares who the major sponsor is. It's not like the name "Tabcorp" is exactly hidden , with billboards and posters displaying it in large print all over the tracks and ads on Sky showing every 2 minutes ( well, seems like that).

You say "I'm sure that the board has their opinion and will fix any issues in the next 40 odd years". Now , now Rick , don't rush them into any quick decisions. They need lots more time than that to come up with more "brilliant" decisions concerning Melton like that have done previously. [sarcasm]

aussiebreno
    I've seen an article wrote overnight about Ted Demmler winning the Gordon Rothaker Medal. I am guessing that the Gordan Rothaker Medal presentation was held at Melton last night and was the reason for the Sat night fixture; so people could get out to the track.
    Otherwise getting people to the track isn't really the concern; the major concern is getting people to bet...

+ Reply to Thread