Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shoeing a Trotter

Junior Member Foal Btracing will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    billy JA

Shoeing a Trotter

I have a yearling trotter who just got shod for the first time. I am not very happy with my shoe job. 1st he didnt clean up the foot but then her back shoes hang over her foot an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Why would he do this? Or is it just being lazy

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Btracing View Post
    I have a yearling trotter who just got shod for the first time. I am not very happy with my shoe job. 1st he didnt clean up the foot but then her back shoes hang over her foot an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Why would he do this? Or is it just being lazy
    Couple of questions, Btracing, what do you mean by "clean up the foot"? Do you mean remove dead horn and trim frog?, or do you mean something else.The reason I ask this is many young horses have little protection in the sole and should not have excessive trimming of dead horn, which may explain the farrier's being "lazy".

secondly, with the back shoes "hanging over her foot an 1/8 or 1/4 inch" is that at the toe,inside or outside, or at the heel inside or outside?

Makes a hell of a difference!!

how far along is the filly, if this is her first shoeing, then the answer is probably it doesn't matter a great deal and I woudn't stress too much , be a bit more concerned with how she handles things going forward.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Quote Originally Posted by Btracing View Post
    Would have been best to ask the farrier at the time, most are happy to explain the reasons why they are doing something or not doing something.
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

+ Reply to Thread