Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Charges laid in swabbing scandal

Banned 2YO ringman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by David Summers View Post
    It has been reported in the Sydney Morning Herald that the 24 year old who was arrested and charged yesterday in relation to this is harness trainer Michael Russo.
    SYDNEY'S biggest week of harness racing has been thrown into turmoil after the state's premier driver, Greg Bennett, and one of its former top stewards, Paul O'Toole, were yesterday arrested and charged over alleged corruption in the sport. A third man from Plumpton, believed to be a trainer, was also arrested and charged over the scandal as police executed four search warrants around Sydney at 8am yesterday. The Daily Telegraph understands further charges against other harness racing identities are to be laid as early as today. The moves - the culmination of an investigation of more than three months into race fixing by harness racing officials - come two days before Harness Racing NSW's biggest night, Saturday's Miracle Mile at Menangle.
    Bennett, 45, was due to drive Karloo Mick in the Miracle Mile, but was dramatically replaced yesterday by 20-year-old Robbie Morris after being stood down "indefinitely" by HRNSW.

Bennett will face Wollongong Local Court on December 20 facing eight corruption charges. Under Australian Harness Racing rules, a driver can be directed not to participate in a race "pending the outcome of an inquiry, investigation or objection, or where a person has been charged with an offence".
    Bennett has been the dominant driver in harness racing for the past decade, and is one of the sport's highest-profile figures, having won multiple premierships.
    HRNSW regulatory boss Reid Sanders, who is heading up the body's investigation, said yesterday: "Obviously one of the persons that has been charged today has been stood down by us. That person is entitled to the presumption of innocence. Given the position of our investigation and the nature of the charges and that they relate to the harness racing industry, HRNSW is exercising its powers under the rules to ensure we protect the integrity of the harness racing industry."
    Calls to Bennett and his lawyers yesterday were not returned.
    Meanwhile, former steward O'Toole appeared in Lithgow Local Court yesterday after he was charged on 38 counts related to corrupt benefits.
    His lawyer, Jason Parkinson of Porters Lawyers, told the Telegraph a police statement of facts read out in court referred to listening device material. "I can confirm that my client has been before court today and granted bail," Parkinson said.

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by ringman View Post
    Surely you are kidding HRNSW tried to keep it all hushed up until the media got hold and blew the thing wide open. Blind Freddy could see a rort was on and HRNSW let it go on and on and on. i would be feeling very nervous now if i was a trainer/driver living within a 20k radius of Menagle because its the police cleaning this mess up not HRNSW.
    Greg

I am sorry but your memory has failed you here, the first anyone, I mean the media knew of this was when this release went out in August on the day it happened by the way.

NEWS ROOM

INTERNAL INVESTIGATION - Stewards Resign

08 August 2011

Whilst undertaking an internal investigation into matters relating to misconduct, HRNSW Stewards Mr Matthew Bentley and Mr Paul O’Toole tendered their resignations today.
    Although their resignations have been accepted, effective immediately, the investigation remains ongoing.
    Due to the nature of the investigation, HRNSW is unable to make any further comment at this point in time.

Sorry but that does not look like an attempt to hush anything up .. Quite the opposite.

Take pot shots at HRNSW by all means, however if you do at least use live bullets because their are still some of us who appreciate how difficult the task of investigating this has and will continue to be.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Well said Bill HRNSW can't act on hearsay you need hard evidence first and i think they are doing a good job so far
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member 3YO strong persuader has a spectacular aura about strong persuader's Avatar
    Real Name
    Phil Bourke
    Two more arrests........http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/la...bWwmYWxsPTE%3D

"As a result of this operation, detectives today arrested:
    • A 26-year-old Camden-area man, who was charged with two counts of corruptly give agent benefit and one count of corruptly offer to give agent benefit. He was granted conditional bail to appear at Penrith Local Court on 15 December 2011.
    • A 47-year-old Goulburn-area man, who was charged with two counts of corruptly give agent benefit and one count of corruptly offer to give agent benefit. He was granted conditional bail to appear at Picton Local Court on 20 December 2011."
    Maybe we can add two and two and be right for once, HRNSW have their own media release, http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=17207
    Cameron Fitzpatrick and Dean Atkinson stood down indefinitely.
    Last edited by strong persuader; 11-25-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added details
    Warning: Horses are expensive, addictive, and may impair the ability to use common sense.

Junior Member Yearling coldshot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rebecca Taylor
    Occupation
    Teacher/Admin
    I don't think HRNSW tried to hush anything up, well not as a deliberate policy. I recall reading early on that they undertook a few enquiries going back to when Mr Beattie was still Chief Steward however they led nowhere. This really kicked off when the anonymous whistleblower made the calls that provided sufficient leads for the internal investigation that resulted in the resignation of Paul O'Toole and Mathew Bentley. Of course when two stewards resign under such circumstances HRNSW had to issue a media release as the story was going to break from that point on.

HRNSW has been conducting its investigation as best it can under pressure from participants who, without knowing the details nor understanding the processes (including me), hoped the matter would have been dealt with faster. This is a moot point now that the NSW Police has taken action and I think we can all be thankful that the Police are involved as they have the resources, training and experience to properly investigate these matters.

The bigger picture is that HRNSW is in a no-win situation - the Police have taken the lead in pursuing this matter and those involved, and rightly or wrongly the perception is that this situation may have fizzled out had they not been called in. HRNSW's internal controls and I suppose ability at least initially to investigate itself have been called into question bringing forward the amalgamation of stewards proposal. I think HRNSW's performance - pre and post the anonymous call - will be the subject of review. In this respect maybe the well-connected VVV can shed some light on the labyrinth workings of government and bureaucrats.

For me, I am glad that the matter has moved to another level of activity though bitterly disappointed now that names have been released confirming the rumours that have been floating around - I was hoping in relation to one person that they just weren't true.

Junior Member Foal LEGENDAIREY will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron Airey
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Who are they?

triplev123
    Quote Originally Posted by ringman View Post
    Surely you are kidding HRNSW tried to keep it all hushed up until the media got hold and blew the thing wide open. Blind Freddy could see a rort was on and HRNSW let it go on and on and on. i would be feeling very nervous now if i was a trainer/driver living within a 20k radius of Menagle because its the police cleaning this mess up not HRNSW.

[VVV] Trooper, when all of this unpleasant stuff draws to an end and the real picture of what has happened behind the scenes is finally revealed...I sincerely hope you are enough of a man to make a personal approach to Sam, Reid & the rest of the investigative crew over at HRNSW & apologise profusely to each and every one of them for the series of at best inaccurate & more often than not scurrilous comments and claims that you've seen fit to make on this forum.

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    This has just been posted on the Daily Telegraph website: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226206052953

triplev123
    Seeing Cameron's name there in print there as having been arrested & charged is the biggest disappointment that I've experienced in 25 years as an Industry participant. He is such a nice fella, he is such a talent & now it seems that it's a big chance of all going to Hell in a hand cart.
    I certainly want each and every one of them to face the music and to pay for their transgressions, no question about that whatsoever, but geeze...as completely duplicitous a position as it is, I'd also be lying if I said this one didn't pull at the old heart strings.

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    Never judge a book by its cover.

Closed Thread