Thread: Charges laid in swabbing scandal

Threaded View

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmoore View Post
    Bill you know more about this topic than hrnsw and the stewards by the sounds of it! Did you ever consider becoming a steward and what is your background in the sport??
    I have long held an interest in the regulatory control of sport, more Rugby League, Harness and the Gallops which are my interests, in recent years with the increased role of the net in relation to the easy access of stewards reports ect this interest has intensified.

I liked this article the other day by Ken Callander I think it sums things up pretty well on how difficult a stewards role now is an you can be sure if anything it is harder in the trots in NSW because of a different appeals process... who would want the job

"A week or two ago a prominent owner became aware of the company his jockey was keeping and then thought back to some of the hoop's recent rides. As a result he asked his trainer to engage a different jockey in future and lo and behold the owner has had a bit of luck.

If it sounds as if I am saying all is not sweet and pure in the world of Sydney racing that is correct but please don't blame the stewards.

The worst aspect of racing in Australia in 2011 is the power of the stewards has been almost wiped out.

They cannot sustain a charge of not allowing a horse to run on its merits in any court in the country and their only means of justice is Australian Rule Of Racing 135 (b) which deals with a jockey giving a horse every opportunity to win.
    Apprentices take Sydney by storm
    Pinker, Caviar set for clash

Unfortunately, when they charge a jockey under this rule, the appeals tribunals throughout the country totally ignore the expert opinion of stewards, who spend their entire working life in racing, and rely on legal points or the opinions of the local butcher, baker or backyard lawyer.

The rule, and the enforcement of it, is totally reliant on opinion and nothing else and yet lawyers with absolutely no racing knowledge continually reject the opinion of the stewards.

The new board of Racing NSW (hopefully in conjunction with Racing Victoria) should make the support of stewards and the total overhaul of the appeals system its No.1 priority.Punters are the lifeblood of racing and they must be protected. At the moment they are not.
    Last edited by Thevoiceofreason; 12-07-2011 at 07:27 PM.