Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Charges laid in swabbing scandal

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmoore View Post
    Bill you know more about this topic than hrnsw and the stewards by the sounds of it! Did you ever consider becoming a steward and what is your background in the sport??
    I have long held an interest in the regulatory control of sport, more Rugby League, Harness and the Gallops which are my interests, in recent years with the increased role of the net in relation to the easy access of stewards reports ect this interest has intensified.

I liked this article the other day by Ken Callander I think it sums things up pretty well on how difficult a stewards role now is an you can be sure if anything it is harder in the trots in NSW because of a different appeals process... who would want the job

"A week or two ago a prominent owner became aware of the company his jockey was keeping and then thought back to some of the hoop's recent rides. As a result he asked his trainer to engage a different jockey in future and lo and behold the owner has had a bit of luck.

If it sounds as if I am saying all is not sweet and pure in the world of Sydney racing that is correct but please don't blame the stewards.

The worst aspect of racing in Australia in 2011 is the power of the stewards has been almost wiped out.

They cannot sustain a charge of not allowing a horse to run on its merits in any court in the country and their only means of justice is Australian Rule Of Racing 135 (b) which deals with a jockey giving a horse every opportunity to win.
    Apprentices take Sydney by storm
    Pinker, Caviar set for clash

Unfortunately, when they charge a jockey under this rule, the appeals tribunals throughout the country totally ignore the expert opinion of stewards, who spend their entire working life in racing, and rely on legal points or the opinions of the local butcher, baker or backyard lawyer.

The rule, and the enforcement of it, is totally reliant on opinion and nothing else and yet lawyers with absolutely no racing knowledge continually reject the opinion of the stewards.

The new board of Racing NSW (hopefully in conjunction with Racing Victoria) should make the support of stewards and the total overhaul of the appeals system its No.1 priority.Punters are the lifeblood of racing and they must be protected. At the moment they are not.
    Last edited by Thevoiceofreason; 12-07-2011 at 07:27 PM.

aussiebreno
    [QUOTE=Thevoiceofreason;13931]

"A week or two ago a prominent owner became aware of the company his jockey was keeping and then thought back to some of the hoop's recent rides. As a result he asked his trainer to engage a different jockey in future and lo and behold the owner has had a bit of luck.

QUOTE]
    Jumping to conclusions? When that jockey became aware of such accusations he marched straight to the stewards to declare his innocence and to provide any evidence needed.

Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    [QUOTE=aussiebreno;13934]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevoiceofreason View Post

QUOTE]
    Jumping to conclusions? When that jockey became aware of such accusations he marched straight to the stewards to declare his innocence and to provide any evidence needed.
    Yes he did and if you are innocent it is a very smart play, why not put the issue to bed.

triplev123

Member Gelding The Rainmaker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Eric Strong
    Paul O'Toole is due to front court tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if any more news comes out after his court appearance. There was a small piece in todays Daily Telegraph stating Reid Sanders has been busy over the last week interviewing participants in regional NSW. You can bet your bottom dollar he had a stay over in Bathurst. Hopefully we will find out some more soon.

Banned Yearling Dmoore will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Doug Moore
    Do you think Harness Racing will look to charge people that havent been charged by the police? and if so, will they be able to hold them at appeal unlike the Ruggari and Jackson fiasco's of a few years back?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    This might answer your question Doug
    Corruption and related matters

240. A person shall not, whether alone or in association with others, do, permit or suffer anything before, during or after a race which in the opinion of the Stewards or Controlling Body may cause someone to be unlawfully advantaged or disadvantaged or be penalised or corrupt or otherwise improper.

241. A person shall not in connection with any part of the harness racing industry do anything which is fraudulent or corrupt.

242. A person shall not furnish the Controlling Body with a document purporting to describe the ownership of a horse which is false or fails to mention a person with ownership rights or interests.

243. A person employed, engaged or participating in the harness racing industry shall not behave in a way which is prejudicial or detrimental to the industry.

244. A person whether alone or in association with others shall not communicate improperly with the Controlling Body, its members or employees about anything which is or is likely to be the subject of an inquiry by or appeal to the Controlling Body.

245. A person shall not direct, persuade, encourage or assist anyone to breach these rules or otherwise engage in an improper practice.

246. A person who has reasonable grounds for believing that someone is behaving, may behave or has behaved in a way causing, likely to cause or which has caused a breach of these rules shall promptly bring the matter to the notice of the Controlling Body or the Stewards.

247. A person attending before the Controlling Body its members or employees, the Stewards, officials, or at any proceeding under these rules, shall not speak or behave in a malicious, intimidatory or otherwise improper manner.
    Corruption and related matters

Hope it helps
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmoore View Post
    Do you think Harness Racing will look to charge people that havent been charged by the police? and if so, will they be able to hold them at appeal unlike the Ruggari and Jackson fiasco's of a few years back?
    I am sure HRNSW stewards will charge the people they feel they have proved have breached the rules.

If they lose at appeal so be it.

In the two cases you give as examples the stewards believed that those people had breached the rules and disqualified them accordingly on each occasion the stewards lost on appeal, hopefully if they charge people not charged by the police the charges will stick.

However if I am being honest unfortunately judges love a loophole, you only have to look at recent decisions in court cases surrounding the cowboys penalty goal plunge to see that.

Junior Member Foal LEGENDAIREY will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron Airey
    Occupation
    Self Employed

Thumbs down Stewards are weak

Quote Originally Posted by Thevoiceofreason View Post
    I have long held an interest in the regulatory control of sport, more Rugby League, Harness and the Gallops which are my interests, in recent years with the increased role of the net in relation to the easy access of stewards reports ect this interest has intensified.

I liked this article the other day by Ken Callander I think it sums things up pretty well on how difficult a stewards role now is an you can be sure if anything it is harder in the trots in NSW because of a different appeals process... who would want the job

If it sounds as if I am saying all is not sweet and pure in the world of Sydney racing that is correct but please don't blame the stewards.

The worst aspect of racing in Australia in 2011 is the power of the stewards has been almost wiped out.

They cannot sustain a charge of not allowing a horse to run on its merits in any court in the country and their only means of justice is Australian Rule Of Racing 135 (b) which deals with a jockey giving a horse every opportunity to win.
    Apprentices take Sydney by storm
    Pinker, Caviar set for clash

Unfortunately, when they charge a jockey under this rule, the appeals tribunals throughout the country totally ignore the expert opinion of stewards, who spend their entire working life in racing, and rely on legal points or the opinions of the local butcher, baker or backyard lawyer.

The rule, and the enforcement of it, is totally reliant on opinion and nothing else and yet lawyers with absolutely no racing knowledge continually reject the opinion of the stewards.

The new board of Racing NSW (hopefully in conjunction with Racing Victoria) should make the support of stewards and the total overhaul of the appeals system its No.1 priority.Punters are the lifeblood of racing and they must be protected. At the moment they are not.
    Hi, you are right Stewards should have the power no matter what, in that in there discretion that a driver does not look to be giving there horse every possible chance to win, barring an incident(flat Tyre, tailed off from being checked or breaking or galloping out) also i have said it many times to the C.E.O of HRNSW through Emails that form reversal needs to looked at as well, G. Hando said through this forum that horses have "off" days. But how can a horse that has been given every possible chance in running run last beaten over 50 metres comes out and wins it's next start??one example is Cold Native, just look at it's replay of when it was 1x1 dropped right out at the 400 metre mark then comes out it's next start to win easily???? There really is a lot of areas within the industry that need to be looked at before the punter is confident again that harness racing is worth placing their money on.

triplev123
    I agree with the general thrust of that post Ron but with regard to the example you used (Cold Native) I think that's a fair way off the mark.

The field that horse beat on Tuesday with an on-the-pace/up in the breeze effort that went by in 1:56.5 (28.5-31.1-29.3-27.6) was not, IMO, of a comparitive quality to the majority of the field that he faced at his previous start at Menangle in Heat 2 of the Mt. Eden 4yo C'ship..where he was duly beaten in 1:54.9 (28.0-30.8-28.8-27.3).

His form in against C0-C1-C2-C3 horses has been very good this season until he ran into some of the better ones on Nov. 19th. He had a couple of weeks break, got back to his grade again on Tuesday and duly saluted. Nothing nefarious there, at least nothing that I can see.

Closed Thread