Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Karloo Mick

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild View Post
    Isn't it great to see a 9 year old and a 11 year old dominate a race that is perceived to be a speed test?
    Hate to say it but I'm just the opposite. Just don't get excited when old horses win major races and in this case they finished first and second,doesn't say much for the younger brigade coming through. G.Hall jnr obviously wanted to have the sit on Smoken Up but by engaging in a speed duel that used up any sprint he had for the finish.Still say that ITMQ is not a tough it out horse, he can sustain a long sprint at the end of a race and that's his style of racing.An early duel for 4 or 5 hundred metres in a mile race will finish him off.

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    Hate to say it but I'm just the opposite. Just don't get excited when old horses win major races and in this case they finished first and second,doesn't say much for the younger brigade coming through. G.Hall jnr obviously wanted to have the sit on Smoken Up but by engaging in a speed duel that used up any sprint he had for the finish.Still say that ITMQ is not a tough it out horse, he can sustain a long sprint at the end of a race and that's his style of racing.An early duel for 4 or 5 hundred metres in a mile race will finish him off.
    Dont get me wrong. I like to see the young up and comers too. But a horses racing career is relatively short. And to see horses like KM and SU ( and Blackie) still performing at the top level at their respective ages is encouraging for all owners.

triplev123
    Let's not forget that Barry Lew is also a way, way smarter horseman than many in the racing media ever seem to give him credit for. Not only did he have Karloo Mick firing last night but have a look at the effort of his 3yo colt Karloo Kix. Very impressive. Both of those horses were given super classy steers by Robert Morris too btw.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Where are all the knocker's who thought Mick shouldn't be there tonight another good run by the old fella and a top job done by Barry to get him up for it well done to all
    Here. I was one of them. Still am. And that is why he started 50/1. Prior to the last 400m there was nothing to say he should be in the field.

Thats not to say he didn't put in a great performance last night and that at the 150m I was cheering for him.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    Let's not forget that Barry Lew is also a way, way smarter horseman than many in the racing media ever seem to give him credit for. Not only did he have Karloo Mick firing last night but have a look at the effort of his 3yo colt Karloo Kix. Very impressive. Both of those horses were given super classy steers by Robert Morris too btw.
    I've known Barry for 40 odd year's and he has alway's been able to produce the good's when it counted his horse's go without nothing regardless of ability they all get the best treatment available a lot of the media seem to think sometime's that a bushie can't train as good as the city folk don't know why but they are very wrong in thinking it Barry is as good a trainer as the next you only need the cattle to work with
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Here. I was one of them. Still am. And that is why he started 50/1. Prior to the last 400m there was nothing to say he should be in the field.
    Thats not to say he didn't put in a great performance last night and that at the 150m I was cheering for him.
    Prior to the last 400 there was only 3 horses that should have been in it if wan't to look at it that way and someone has to be the outsider in a field on the runs of the horses in the race i was very disapponted in Terror To Love after all the hype and whinging about him not being picked after the NZ run, decision vindicated in my eyes, perhap's a year or 2 early for him this year i reckon he may get better with a bit more age on him perhap's and Bitobliss missing out or not coming to qualify was a blessing in disguise for him a bit more maturity and time will all be for the better
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Prior to the last 400 there was only 3 horses that should have been in it if wan't to look at it that way and someone has to be the outsider in a field on the runs of the horses in the race i was very disapponted in Terror To Love after all the hype and whinging about him not being picked after the NZ run, decision vindicated in my eyes, perhap's a year or 2 early for him this year i reckon he may get better with a bit more age on him perhap's and Bitobliss missing out or not coming to qualify was a blessing in disguise for him a bit more maturity and time will all be for the better
    3 horses that deserved to be in it?
    Set in stone the 3 lead ups deserved to be in it. And of course Smoken Up and ITMQ deserved to be in it. Thats 5. Terror To Love beat home Mick comfortably in the Cordina and started a lot shorter than Mick. I was calling for a 6 horse field.
    If Mick didnt get in a run, in a 6 or 8 horse field; I don't think anyone would have complained.
    As it is the precedent has been set once you finish 2nd in a qualifier, even if you later falter, you will probably squeeze your way into the field.
    I remember Villagem flashed home along the pegs similarly from 3 fence last year....admittedly he did get bad racing luck from then on but he is still yet to win a race a year on. Not that I wish that fate on Mick.

Member Gelding Just Saying will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Scott Crameri
    Prior to the last 400m there was nothing to say he should be in the field.
    http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...sw#XMM29110901

aussiebreno
    What does the 2009 Miracle Mile have to do with field selection for the 2011 Miracle Mile?
    Or should Monkey King, Melpark Major and heck even Be Good Johnny for old times sake have been in the field as well?

Member Gelding Just Saying will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Scott Crameri
    What does the 2009 Miracle Mile have to do with field selection for the 2011 Miracle Mile?
    Or should Monkey King, Melpark Major and heck even Be Good Johnny for old times sake have been in the field as well?
    You questioned his ability over a mile.

+ Reply to Thread