Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lombo Pocket Watch

nat
    I'm not sure about any fertility problems I think it just comes down to although he acquitted himself well in open company he just didn't win a few big ones. Its a shame as he should had been fully booked every year we in Australia don't seem to want to breed to our home bred stallion unlike our NZ friends. Yet a good Australian FFA horse called Safari had served 223 mare in the 09/10 season "go figure" whether its the price or because he the best of the Fake Left stallions around I dont know but the breeding seasons never fail to amaze each year.

buster
    simply unpopular, breeding is about hype..plenty of good stallions go with no mares

misty maiden was a good mare but shes only thrown LPW, nothing else of any significance

triplev123
    I always find that fascinating Nat. It's essentially a double standard because we will welcome with open arms and wallets the latest & greatest, fresh off the track, retired at 3yrs colts from the USA yet Farms down here face one Hell of an uphill battle to get significant patronage to an Oz/NZ bred sire prospect, seemingly no matter how good it was at 2 & 3, unless it had also raced on at 4yrs + and proved itself in Open/FFA/Cups/ID Company???? One of Life's great mysteries.
    Last edited by triplev123; 12-26-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Member Filly peacheymagic will become famous soon enough peacheymagic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    I guess it is because many breeeders regard a NZ Cup or Interdominion as a pinnacle rather than 2yo and 3yo racing and would like a potential sire to have won one of these races whereas in the USA the preference is for age group racing and a horses performance as a 4yo/ open class horse isn't really significant.

nat
    I think you have got it there in one peachymagic isnt it funny how we view horses careers in both hemispheres. I think a couple of open class major's would had boosted him along way he should had won the $400,000 WA Cup but was held up in the charge to the line

Member Filly peacheymagic will become famous soon enough peacheymagic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Indeed Nat I cannot recall a Southern Hemisphere pacer who has been able to retire after a successful 2 and 3yo career and go on to a successful stud career. Yes Lombo Pocket Watch was almost untouchable as a 2 and 3yo pacer but this meant nothing as a breeding prospect unless he won a group 1 feature as can be seen from his impedent return to the racetrack as he didn't get sufficent support at stud based on his 2 and 3yo success.

nat
    To be Hounest I'm a little excited that Olivieri has him shows that they are serious and I cannot wait for him to start

nat
    A nice return to racing tonight for LPW eased off the gate to last, sent 3 wide with a lap to go got to the death and kept going 1:57.8 last half 56.8 28.7m x 1m was treated like a trial

Did anyone watch race 3 2030m stand time posted by Gone To Carlton 1:55.8 off 20m handicap. I missed it, is this a miss print or proper time?

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    I always find that fascinating Nat. It's essentially a double standard because we will welcome with open arms and wallets the latest & greatest, fresh off the track, retired at 3yrs colts from the USA yet Farms down here face one Hell of an uphill battle to get significant patronage to an Oz/NZ bred sire prospect, seemingly no matter how good it was at 2 & 3, unless it had also raced on at 4yrs + and proved itself in Open/FFA/Cups/ID Company???? One of Life's great mysteries.
    I am of the opinion that our horses aren't as good as the America ones, but obviously that gap is begining to close. They have SUPER horses over there. One More Laugh sat in the death, at the 1000m Chester, and ran 1:49 as a 2yo. There is nothing in Australia, present or recently in the past that could have done that. Granted he is a gelding, but it is an example nonetheless. Their top 3yos, by times, are 15 lengths better than our grand circuit horses (1:47 to 1:50) and in many cases American Grand Circuit horses are better than the 3yos, if and when the top 3yos are allowed to race on at 4. Very few Southern Hemisphere horses have made an impact in North America, we simply aren't as good (yet). When that gap is closed, maybe we will see better patronage to our home stars...

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Lombo Pocket Watch wins at Bunbury Tuesday 11/01/11 the race was over 2100m the mile rate was 1.57.8 and he won by 28m.

+ Reply to Thread